Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOLC

I will b
    Last edited by WVANG44; July 4th, 2013, 01:03 PM.

Re: BOLC

Check with your school but when I went to WOBC; only the PCS students had their families with them (I was one of them). BOLC is not that long compared to other branches so I will just deal with some more time separated. I been separated from mine for many years and duration so I cannot sympathize.

Comment

In short, No. I do know that a couple of my classmates during my BOLC decided to rent an apartment and brought their families but they did not receive any monies and were expected to keep a room on post.
      I have to agree with Chief here, you will be deployed and you will spend large amounts of time away from your family, it is one of the sacrifices we make as Soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by WVANG44 View Post
        I will be attending BOLC it seems at Ft. Benning or Ft. Sill. I am not married, but am in a serious relationship. As a Guardsman going to BOLC, will I be able to have off-post housing with my girlfriend? We have been separated for quite some time excluding my BCT and OCS and enough is enough. I understand off-post housing is authorized, but the information becomes blurred in regards to how they treat RA vs NG and AR. Will I be on PCS or TDY orders? I am assuming TDY. I have serious doubt any on-base arrangement would be authorized, although she is an O-6 military dependent. In that case, if I decline an on post billet, will they pay in some way for off-post housing? Before I left for basic and OCS I made the mistake of giving up my lease and moving out of my rental. I had thought this would be easier. I will most likely be starting my BOLC quite soon, so I probably will not bother entering into a lease at home because I anticipate moving from there at some point. As I will not get BAH for a lease in my civilian life, will I get money for off-post housing or even be authorized for it?
        My solution was, and perhaps your could be also, to simply get married. Obtain a marriage license, sign and file it, and announce to the world that you are engaged. Worked for me. Our wedding ceremony is scheduled for May, but for all relevant purposes we are already man and wife.

Comment

Originally posted by roleary3 View Post
          My solution was, and perhaps your could be also, to simply get married. Obtain a marriage license, sign and file it, and announce to the world that you are engaged. Worked for me. Our wedding ceremony is scheduled for May, but for all relevant purposes we are already man and wife.
          You may not be the case, but in general the military unintentionally creates / forces abrupt marriages that would not have happened had it not be for the military's rules on housing. Getting married to someone way too early + leaving alot for training and deployments = disaster. I have had dozens of friends have their "newly wed" clean them out once they went OCONUS.

Comment

Originally posted by roleary3 View Post
            Simple in theory, although many personal disasters start this way.

Comment

IBOLC or ABOLC are both TDY orders. Honestly, my sincerest advice is just suck it up and go to BOLC by yourself. The scheudle isn't particularly designed for "family" time and (in my opinion), it would be a distraction. Most classes are cohorted and at my BOLC for example officers weren't authorized to live somewhere other than where Army Lodging assigned us. I suppose you could "do your own thing" anyway. (I had a classmate who lived in a two bedroom appartment with a buddy nearby and just never stayed in his army provided suite)...but it actually is convienient to have classmates living in the same area. (Projects, studying ect). Honestly....think of BOLC like AIT. It's not really for families. It's only 4 or 5 months. You can Skype and talk on the phone. Heck, if you time it right you'll have several tradoc 4 day weekends and Xmas exodus for a break. Think this through.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                Simple in theory, although many personal disasters start this way.
                True. In no way am I suggesting mary the girl if you both are not ready. However, this may be an opportunity to discuss the matter. But I completely agree with the above posts, the BAH is not any reason to marry before the time is right.

Comment

I had friends who did IBOLC and they said that there were some who's significant others just stayed in their room on base with them. They had their own room and it was small, but it was enough for the few months they were there. I can't say for sure that this occured, just what I heard.

Comment

When I attended physically demanding schools, I always remember Rocky saying that "women weaken legs". The main reason for having your partner attend is for late night PT. Focus on learning your craft.

Comment

If you're going to Ft. Sill for FA, they'll put you in the Holiday Inn on-post. You can request a larger room if you call the front desk as soon as you get your orders. We had a living room, a bedroom, and a kitchen, and they didn't charge us any extra.

Comment

If you go to Ft. Sill for FA BOLC, you may be able to live off post.

I attended BOLC II and III (before the current BOLC B process) from Sept. 2009-Mar. 2010. During that time, the only time I lived on base was during BOLC II (now discontinued). For BOLC III, I was off-post at Independence Place. Most of my class was off post as well, with some being put up in the on base hotel housing. When I was moving out in March 2010, I had two new people move into my unit who were just beginning BOLC B. This suggests to me that not everyone is being housed on post.

Comment

Originally posted by cocasi02 View Post
                          If you go to Ft. Sill for FA BOLC, you may be able to live off post.

I attended BOLC II and III (before the current BOLC B process) from Sept. 2009-Mar. 2010. During that time, the only time I lived on base was during BOLC II (now discontinued). For BOLC III, I was off-post at Independence Place. Most of my class was off post as well, with some being put up in the on base hotel housing. When I was moving out in March 2010, I had two new people move into my unit who were just beginning BOLC B. This suggests to me that not everyone is being housed on post.
                          I graduated 15JAN13, they had all the NG guys at the hotel. Honestly, given the ridiculous crime rate at IP and the proximity of the Hotel to Snow Hall and Summerall Hall, I preferred living at the hotel. Plus you get maid service and get to pocket your BAH.

Comment

Working...
                          X