X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2LT in EN (Sapper) company

I'm at FOCS right now and just received my branch/unit assignment from my state, Engineer in a Sapper company. With it being a Sapper company, should I expect to be required/encouraged to go to Sapper School?

Re: 2LT in EN (Sapper) company

Originally posted by refcorp View Post
    I'm at FOCS right now and just received my branch/unit assignment from my state, Engineer in a Sapper company. With it being a Sapper company, should I expect to be required/encouraged to go to Sapper School?
    Whether you will go or not depends on your State's funding.

Comment

Being a recent EBOLC graduate, I can tell you that:

A. Timing is everything - there are only so many Sapper slots/year. The final SLC class start date of the FY was one day before my EBOLC graduation. No one, regardless of component, was able to attend.

B. Funding - your state probably doesn't have it.

That being said, you can still participate in Pre-Sapper/Pre-Ranger training during the course. In the end its about the knowledge, not the tab.

Comment

It all comes down to the state. Its easier to get Ranger School slots for states then it is SLC. Every year I get told I'm going to SLC, every year I'm told there is no funding lol. It really does come down to timing. We sent one of our LT's a few years ago. He finished EBOLC right before the end of the fiscal year and happened to be at the top of his graduating class in EBOLC. So active duty Army secured a slot for him to attend and the state had some funds they had to spend at the end of the fiscal. Perfect marriage of hard work and luck. So in the last 5 years my company has sent a grand total of 1 soldier to SLC.

Comment

A lot of Engineer companies are categorized Sapper. But most of these units do not have many soldiers who are actually tabbed. It is very difficult for a National Guardsman to actually get to Sapper school. State funding, at least in Mississippi has never been great for tab-awarding schools. Even if you are lucky enough to go good luck getting the points needed to tab. The instructors arent too up on Guardsmen being in the school. The only Sappers I know in the guard earned it on active duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Orelladanza View Post
            Even if you are lucky enough to go good luck getting the points needed to tab. The instructors arent too up on Guardsmen being in the school. The only Sappers I know in the guard earned it on active duty.
            How many Sapper instructors have you actually met? I know at least 5 Guardsmen that earned a Sapper tab in the Guard, and I am currently attached to a unit whos 1SG was a SLC instructor, he said that Guardsmen have a higher passing percentage than the active guys.

Comment

SLC is a great school - don't feel like you can't do your job or that you won't have credibility without it. SLC:Engineers =/= Ranger:Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                How many Sapper instructors have you actually met? I know at least 5 Guardsmen that earned a Sapper tab in the Guard, and I am currently attached to a unit whos 1SG was a SLC instructor, he said that Guardsmen have a higher passing percentage than the active guys.
                None sir. This is just what I was told by my squad leader and former platoon sergeant who went. I've never personally had a good experience in the AC environment as a "nasty girl". So the idea was pretty easy to run with.

Comment

Working...
                X