Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiver Wire; Disclosing How Many Years (Workplace Discussion)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiver Wire; Disclosing How Many Years (Workplace Discussion)

Hello All,

I have a good one for you! Since I'm considering OCS 09S there has been a lot of discussion in our office about which branch I should shoot for. There was also a discussion about how many years of ones criminal history must be disclosed when submitting an OCS packet. Keep in mind this discussion was happening in Afghanistan with Officers from O-2 through O-6.

So the question remains; How many years of criminal history must be disclosed when submitting an OCS packet? Some Officers said 5 years, some said 7 years, some said only adult crimes, and some said all crimes.

Does anyone have a factual answer to end this discussion? References or A-Rs to back it up?

Thanks.

Re: Waiver Wire; Disclosing How Many Years (Workplace Discussion)

Originally posted by hustlin_moe20 View Post
    Hello All,

I have a good one for you! Since I'm considering OCS 09S there has been a lot of discussion in our office about which branch I should shoot for. There was also a discussion about how many years of ones criminal history must be disclosed when submitting an OCS packet. Keep in mind this discussion was happening in Afghanistan with Officers from O-2 through O-6.

So the question remains; How many years of criminal history must be disclosed when submitting an OCS packet? Some Officers said 5 years, some said 7 years, some said only adult crimes, and some said all crimes.

Does anyone have a factual answer to end this discussion? References or A-Rs to back it up?

Thanks.
    There isn't just one answer because it varies depending on what form you are filling out. Since there is more than one form, there is more than one answer. For security clearance purposes on a SF 86, a secret goes back 7 and a TS goes back 10, except for alcohol and drugs..that goes back forever; and all officer must have a clearance. The NGB 62 you have to fill out has no time period on arrests and convictions....but it also doesn't specify that you must disclose expunged offenses............BUT AGAIN, you must disclose expunged offenses when you first enter the service, and on the clearance paperwork. There are other forms as well with varying requirements in how to answer the questions.

The best approach is to read the question 10 times over and answer only what it is asking. Do not offer any more information than asked, but lying on those forms is sudden death. The reality is depending on current status and clearance requirements it is possible to side step alot of the red tape without really lying. If you were joe schmoe putting in a 09S packet it would be much harder because you are submitting all that paperwork at the same time.
    Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; January 5th, 2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

This has gotten comical. Some Officers are laughing saying "I told you so" and some are calling B.S. lol. They changed the scenario; Said soldier is Prior Service and has a Secret clearance. NOW how much info must he disclose? Most are saying only non-expunged offenses since he doesn't have to fill out the SF 86 again. Tricky tricky!

Comment

This has gotten comical. Some Officers are laughing saying "I told you so" and some are calling B.S. lol. They changed the scenario; Said soldier is Prior Service and has a Secret clearance. NOW how much info must he disclose? Most are saying only non-expunged offenses since he doesn't have to fill out the SF 86 again. Tricky tricky!
        They can call BS all they want. My game is on Jordan's level with this stuff.

If the SM hasn't been seperated for more than 24 months, his clearance would still be current. Being out for over 24 months terminates that clearance and you must start from the beginning with a new SF-86.

The official answer is whenever you join the military from the street, PS or non PS you must disclose expunged stuff. The reality is, there would not be another FBI name check if you had a current secret clearance. As long as you got by the local recruiter, it would roll. I'm not saying lie, I'm just stating facts.

Comment

To add further info, in my experience I don't recall ever seeing any Army forms that asked a question about criminal stuff within a certain time period. That is almost always found on DOD wide forms, OPM forms such as a SF 86, and other generic government stuff. As far as the Army is concerned, their forms are worded as if they are asking you from being 1 day old....but don't always make a distintion between expunged offenses or not depending on the scenario, where most government wide forms do.
          Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; January 5th, 2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense to me. We'll roll with that. Thanks for the insight. 0223 and were in a forum. Gotta love Afghanistan!

Comment

That makes a lot of sense to me. We'll roll with that. Thanks for the insight. 0223 and were in a forum. Gotta love Afghanistan!
              Stay safe.

Comment

IA? Come on. Get to work.

Comment

Not much work for IA at 0230. We play catch-up, have discussions like this, and then bang our heads on the keyboard until 0700 and I'm a contractor! I hope being a Signal Officer is more exciting. I doubt it since there's 7 of them sitting here!

Comment

I am an active duty signal warrant officer. I know how IA can be dull at times. I just left Astan 36 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      I am an active duty signal warrant officer. I know how IA can be dull at times. I just left Astan 36 days ago.
                      Our Signal CW2(P) is considering going Officer because he hates all of the work he's given by junior grade Army and AF Officers. What do you think about that? Good or bad idea? We're at the top of the network here so there's tons of brass.

Comment

Our Signal CW2(P) is considering going Officer because he hates all of the work he's given by junior grade Army and AF Officers. What do you think about that? Good or bad idea? We're at the top of the network here so there's tons of brass.
                        Well, that is a given when crossing over to the Warrant ranks. That is how it has been for me for the last five years. That is what we undertake when we become Warrants. My bosses have been from O3 to O5 and I have been fortunate to have and have had solid working relationships. Since he is crossing over to the senior warrant ranks; things will change somewhat (less hands-on) and perhaps for the better.

But if he wants to go for higher rank and more pay and is eligible; he can do what many other warrants have done and crossed over to the O grades.

I like being hands-on and managing at the same time. I talked to a recent MSG that was retiring and he was Signal. He went to a fair and was talking to an employer with two other people; which one was a Chief and another a Major. The employer wanted the Signal Warrant off the back and was later hired.

The power and hirebility of the Warrant Officer.

Comment

Agreed. If I was the Employer I'd want the Warrant as well. My supervisor (contractor) is a retired Signal CW3.

Comment

Working...
                          X