X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG Officer to AD Navy

I'm interested in applying for AD Navy Aviation and I know that the Navy has IST spots open for Pilot and NFO. My question is, besides getting a 368 from TAG, what all is needed? Similar to many other officers my Navy recruiter doesn't want to help me. It seems every time I email him he always forgets who I am and I have to explain EVERYTHING (who I am, my situation, where I want to go, etc) which is extremely frustrating. He also keeps assuming that I want to go Navy Reserves in Aviation which is completely untrue. I call HRC, the IST Manager says he doesn't handle Guardsmen. I call NPC, they say talk to the Army/my recruiter. Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to make this happen?

Re: NG Officer to AD Navy

Originally posted by jhuff View Post
    I'm interested in applying for AD Navy Aviation and I know that the Navy has IST spots open for Pilot and NFO. My question is, besides getting a 368 from TAG, what all is needed? Similar to many other officers my Navy recruiter doesn't want to help me. It seems every time I email him he always forgets who I am and I have to explain EVERYTHING (who I am, my situation, where I want to go, etc) which is extremely frustrating. He also keeps assuming that I want to go Navy Reserves in Aviation which is completely untrue. I call HRC, the IST Manager says he doesn't handle Guardsmen. I call NPC, they say talk to the Army/my recruiter. Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to make this happen?
    1. HRC has nothing to do with the guard, they are only over RA and USAR.

2. This has nothing to do with an IST, moreover there are no IST's outside of the guard, so I'm not sure who you spoke with at HRC, but I doubt it was an IST manager.

3. NPC has nothing to do with you because you are a guardsman.

4. Likelihood of any prior service of any kind getting into the AD Navy to do anything is slim, very slim.

5. To make it more complicated....what rank are you?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      1. HRC has nothing to do with the guard, they are only over RA and USAR.

2. This has nothing to do with an IST, moreover there are no IST's outside of the guard, so I'm not sure who you spoke with at HRC, but I doubt it was an IST manager.

3. NPC has nothing to do with you because you are a guardsman.

4. Likelihood of any prior service of any kind getting into the AD Navy to do anything is slim, very slim.

5. To make it more complicated....what rank are you?
      I spoke with Jeff Wesser, IST Manager for HRC. He did tell me finally that he doesn't handle guardsmen and suggested I talk to PERS-8 with the Navy. How could this have nothing to do with IST? I'm wanting to transfer my commission from NG-> Navy Aviation, where I know slots for Interservice Transfer are available; I just have to apply. I am currently O-1, with 20 months TIS. I'm eligible for O-2, but my promotion packet wasn't submitted so I'll probably be O-1 for a while is what I've heard. I've spoken with my Commander about this and he is 100% on board for it, he said he would push a 368, recommend approval, and do what he can to make this happen because to him "this sounds like an incredible opportunity". It has to be possible.

Comment

Do you know what an IST is?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
          Do you know what an IST is?
          It has two meanings: Interstate Transfer, where a soldier moves from State to State in the RC, and Interservice Transfer, where a soldier transfers from on branch of service to another. For the purpose of this thread, IST=Interservice Transfer.

Comment

It has two meanings: Interstate Transfer, where a soldier moves from State to State in the RC, and Interservice Transfer, where a soldier transfers from on branch of service to another. For the purpose of this thread, IST=Interservice Transfer.
            Then i'll exit stage left.

Comment

I spoke with Jeff Wesser, IST Manager for HRC. He did tell me finally that he doesn't handle guardsmen and suggested I talk to PERS-8 with the Navy. How could this have nothing to do with IST? I'm wanting to transfer my commission from NG-> Navy Aviation, where I know slots for Interservice Transfer are available; I just have to apply. I am currently O-1, with 20 months TIS. I'm eligible for O-2, but my promotion packet wasn't submitted so I'll probably be O-1 for a while is what I've heard. I've spoken with my Commander about this and he is 100% on board for it, he said he would push a 368, recommend approval, and do what he can to make this happen because to him "this sounds like an incredible opportunity". It has to be possible.
              It doesn't have to be possible. It may be possible, but also HIGHLY improbable. Around here (the national guard) an IST stands for interstate transfer. There is such a thing as an interservice transfer, but it doesn't exist in the national guard; technically anyways as AR 614-120 is not applicable to the ARNG. Your commander may push for a 368, but levels above him may have an extremely hard time letting a LT go who they just dished out alot of time and money on. If you get a 368 signed you will be assessed by Navy Recruiting as a prior service candidate. They will not be able to allow you to enter at a lower officer grade. I don't know what the max grade requirement and max time in grade requirements are to attend naval flight training, but given the strict program requirements it cannot be very high.

Why not fly birds for the Army?
              Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; December 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Why not fly birds for the Army?
                Because (almost) anyone can fly a "bird," but it takes a crazy s.o.b. to be a rotor-head. Aviation all the way, hooah!

Comment

I've heard that the navy does not accept officer transfers from the Army....I don't know if it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                    I've heard that the navy does not accept officer transfers from the Army....I don't know if it's true.
                    They don't take a lot of prior service of any kind. But in this scenario it is less of a transfer and more of a "get out and come back in" type deal, since we don't really do interservice transfers in the method he has inquired about.

Comment

They don't take a lot of prior service of any kind. But in this scenario it is less of a transfer and more of a "get out and come back in" type deal, since we don't really do interservice transfers in the method he has inquired about.
                      Right! I agree, alley-oop, and everyone knows once you get out....heaven have mercy when you try to get back in. I've also heard that once you get a Form 368 signed that they put you in the IRR, is this true #23?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                        Right! I agree, alley-oop, and everyone knows once you get out....heaven have mercy when you try to get back in. I've also heard that once you get a Form 368 signed that they put you in the IRR, is this true #23?
                        No, not at all. You are still required to drill while you have an approved 368, until you sign somewhere else. More people return than not with their 368 timeframe elapsed by learning the hard way being prior service and trying to get in anywhere isn't very easy anymore. Furthermore, if they put you in the IRR, your 368 would be irrelevant at that point because the IRR is the USAR. The ARNG would lose control over you at that point anyhow.

Comment

Someone approve my post.

Comment

You need to start with the Navy and see if they have a version of the Limited Call to Active Duty (like the Army). This is probably far beyond the local recruiter. Next, talk to your OSM for the process of dropping you out of the NG. It could be something as simple as writing a letter resigning your commission in the NG. Once in the IRR, you would have a branch manager who can assist you with the conditional release.

What is your branch?

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                              You need to start with the Navy and see if they have a version of the Limited Call to Active Duty (like the Army). This is probably far beyond the local recruiter. Next, talk to your OSM for the process of dropping you out of the NG. It could be something as simple as writing a letter resigning your commission in the NG. Once in the IRR, you would have a branch manager who can assist you with the conditional release.

What is your branch?
                              I am in Signal. Navy PERS told that I wouldn't be doing a transfer as they don't really exist for NG. He told me that I'd be more of a direct appointment. So, it sounds like I'd get they conditional release and be processed just like a prior service guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X