Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NG Officer to AD Navy

Originally posted by jhuff View Post
    I am in Signal. Navy PERS told that I wouldn't be doing a transfer as they don't really exist for NG. He told me that I'd be more of a direct appointment. So, it sounds like I'd get they conditional release and be processed just like a prior service guy.
    There must be an echo in here, I could have sworn I heard someone else say the same thing....

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      There must be an echo in here, I could have sworn I heard someone else say the same thing....
      I just needed to hear it from them. Now that that is settled, if I'm processed as prior service and direct appointment, would I have to do OCS, or would I go directly to flight school? (provided I'm accepted)

Comment

I just needed to hear it from them. Now that that is settled, if I'm processed as prior service and direct appointment, would I have to do OCS, or would I go directly to flight school? (provided I'm accepted)
        You would not go to their OCS. Like I had said before, they are statutorily obligated to bring you in (if going in as a regular O officer) at whatever grade you hold at the time you go in. That is what they mean by "direct appointment". They may send you to some sort of "welcome to the navy course" similiar to where our direct commission go in the army.

Comment

So if I understand this correctly, once I get a 368 signed from TAG I take that to the USN officer recruiter and apply for direct appointment?
          Last edited by RyCass; December 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM.

Comment

So if I understand this correctly, once I get a 368 signed from TAG I take that to the USN officer recruiter and apply for direct appointment?
            There are two ways, but I only recommend one, at least for now.

The first, is exactly what you just said. Keep in mind you are still obligated to the guard for drills and so fourth during that "gray area" of when you got the 368 signed and before you were to contract with the navy.

The second, which was hinted at in that post earlier, is to get into the IRR from the Guard. By doing that you no longer need a conditional release and are free to shop the military for a job at your hearts content. The problem with this route, is if the Navy plan falls through, you are essentially out of the military, and still would have to shop for a job at a reserve/guard unit somewhere if you wished to remain in a drilling status. By taking approach one, if the Navy plan falls through you don't need to do anything but keep drilling at your Army Guard unit and let the 368 expire.

Comment

No, talk to your OSM about what they recommend. A conditional release or simply being put into the IRR. Being in the IRR is not being put out of the military for an officer. The only down side of going into the IRR is getting back into the NG.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                No, talk to your OSM about what they recommend. Being in the IRR is not being put out of the military for an officer. The only down side of going into the IRR is getting back into the NG.
                Being in the IRR is not being put out of the military as an enlisted member either. But you are as close to out as you can be without, well....being out. Since the odds are stacked against him that he can even get into the Navy, you would be killing two birds with one stone to go IRR (not in a positive way). His OSM is not going to have a clue about the likelihood of this grand plan actually working. Unless, the OP's intent is Navy or bust, go with a 368 so the Army Guard can be your plan B.
                Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; December 27th, 2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm going to call my OSM tomorrow and see what he thinks. Also I'm going to talk to the recruiter about getting my application put together.

Comment

Working...
                  X