X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2013 AOCS in AL - Looking to clear up a few questions

I am attending AOCS in January 2013. I have looked through just about every thread relating to AOCS and have several unanswered questions.

A little about me, I would appreciate those with experience to let me know what I need to work on. I am a 34 year old prior enlisted Marine Corps Corporal and am anxious/excited to get to AL and a bit nervous because of the unknown. More than that I try to be as prepared as I can so that I can control all that I can and be ready when things go off line. I feel that I am very fit. I have a 280-290 PFT Score(91 PU, 81 SU and a 14:30-15:20 run) that I am working to improve over the next 4 weeks before leaving. I have D&C down pretty well, but had to adjust from the Corps and was dunned about it during my ORP Drills. I understand the Land Nav and can perform pretty well but haven't actually done any real "field work" finding targets/points etc in some years, but my plotting and reading is good to go. I was with the MEF in the Corps and was very good at rucking and am still a backpacker but am concerned about the pace. i have chapters 3&9 in the OC guide pretty well memorized. I have been reading D&C Chapters 3-7 over and over. I have also read and am reading through all of the other FM's that are suggested for review. With that said, here are my questions.

Please keep in mind, I've heard horror stories from people that were squared away and that it wasn't that bad from people I don't feel are that squared away. Any details or advice would be great.

1. Does the PT consist primarily of individual runs or formation runs and if so at what pace?
    2. Do the 5,7 & 10 mile marches happen in staggered formation, columns or at your own pace? What's the terrain like? Road, fields etc.
    3. I can't seem to find much on the terrain in AL, is it hilly, flat etc? I read it was open with briars, pines etc.
    4. How in-depth is the CFF? I read a post on it but it didn't really go into detail about which aspects to really hammer in.
    5. As far as the additional classroom items, Military History, Justice etc, does anyone have recommendations for what I should study?
    6. I saw some people brought Head Lamps, however the OC Guide says they are not allowed. What's the verdict?
    7. I was also told that I should bring a set of clippers but the OC Guide says no electric razors. What's the verdict?
    8. Is the Land Nav course there as bad as it is made out to be? If so what are the issues for people being a no go?
    9. What items should I bring to help prepare me better? There is a post on this already but in addition to it.
    10. If there are any Marines who have done it, how would you compare it against Boot Camp?

I know these may seem like silly questions, but I know that a lot of these items are concerns of several soldiers who are going with me and over all in the ORP I attended. I think that any feedback I could share with them would be appreciated by all of us. I'm sure there are a ton of other people who have the same questions as well but don't want to ask.

Appreciated in Advance,

Richard Mascaro

Re: January 2013 AOCS in AL - Looking to clear up a few questions

Originally posted by mascarorj View Post
    1. Does the PT consist primarily of individual runs or formation runs and if so at what pace?
    All runs will be company formation runs, the pace will start out at about 9 min and then get quicker as the days go by.
    2. Do the 5,7 & 10 mile marches happen in staggered formation, columns or at your own pace? What's the terrain like? Road, fields etc.
    The rucks are a timed event, so you will be allowed to set your own pace. All rucks will be on established roads, both dirt and asphalt.
    3. I can't seem to find much on the terrain in AL, is it hilly, flat etc? I read it was open with briars, pines etc.
    Hilly, but nothing like Pendleton. As far as being "open" it's not bad in the winter.
    4. How in-depth is the CFF? I read a post on it but it didn't really go into detail about which aspects to really hammer in.
    You will get a class on CFF, just pay attention in class and you will do fine.
    5. As far as the additional classroom items, Military History, Justice etc, does anyone have recommendations for what I should study?
    Don't, you will have 15 classes in less than 3 weeks. Again listen to the instructors, take notes, do well on the test, and then you will perform a brain dump in preparation for the next course.
    6. I saw some people brought Head Lamps, however the OC Guide says they are not allowed. What's the verdict?
    Last time I was there, last winter, they were indeed forbidden. There has been a change of leadership therefor things may have changed. You will be given an amnesty period, if they are not allowed turn it in then.
    7. I was also told that I should bring a set of clippers but the OC Guide says no electric razors. What's the verdict?
    No shaving razors, clippers for cutting each others hair as you will not be allowed to go to a barber.
    8. Is the Land Nav course there as bad as it is made out to be? If so what are the issues for people being a no go?
    Winter isn't as bad as summer obviously, but the biggest problem is candidates don't trust their pace count or compass.
    9. What items should I bring to help prepare me better? There is a post on this already but in addition to it.
    Good boots/socks that you have broken in prior to arrival, you will be running in them.
    10. If there are any Marines who have done it, how would you compare it against Boot Camp?
    Exactly the same, except in boot they let you sleep.
    We have a lot in common, I was a 36 year old PS Marine and did well enough that I was asked to come back as a TAC. Keep your head down, help those with less experience and embrace the suck and you will do well. BUT NEVER EVER call "attention on deck" my arms still hurt from that one.

Comment

Thank you Sir,

One last question, are you allowed to bring ankle support for the humps? I used them in the Corps and am partial to them, kind of like a safety blanket.

Comment

As long as they are not visible, they should not be a problem. I had a couple of candidates wear them and I allowed it.

Comment

Good Evening Sir,

One more question regarding the map case. I purchased a foldable case with the 550 lanyard in the digital pattern. The packing list says that it needs to be OD Green, I looked at some of the recent AMA videos and saw that the OC's were wearing the old school satchel type. Do you recommend that I purchase the satchel type or is the foldable good to go?

Comment

Save the ACU bag for future use, if your state doesn't issue you an OD map case (which they won't as no one uses them) then you will sign for one when you get to Alabama.

Comment

Thanks Again,

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Working...
              X