Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retired Marine officer to Guard officer??

I'm a retired Army NCO and former California Guardsman, but I'm writing to ask a question on behalf of my brother who is a retired Marine officer.

This is going to seem strange, but bear with me.

First, he's prior enlisted but he retired recently as an O4. He's not happy with retired life and wants to get back into the military. Returning to the Corps isn't an option, not for any negative reasons but just not doable.

So:

1. Is it possible to set aside a retirement and assess into the Guard as a commissioned officer?

2. If it is possible, how does one even go about doing so? This is in California, is there a particular person to call?

Yes, he realized that if he _can_ re enter the military he'll lose his retirement check, Tricare and so forth. Not an issue.

He's hoping to land a technician job but that's secondary to getting back into uniform at this point.

If anybody can help or point us in the right direction we'd be grateful. I'm pointing him towards this forum, so he may pop up here himself.

Re: Retired Marine officer to Guard officer??

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I'm a retired Army NCO and former California Guardsman, but I'm writing to ask a question on behalf of my brother who is a retired Marine officer.

This is going to seem strange, but bear with me.

First, he's prior enlisted but he retired recently as an O4. He's not happy with retired life and wants to get back into the military. Returning to the Corps isn't an option, not for any negative reasons but just not doable.

So:

1. Is it possible to set aside a retirement and assess into the Guard as a commissioned officer?

2. If it is possible, how does one even go about doing so? This is in California, is there a particular person to call?

Yes, he realized that if he _can_ re enter the military he'll lose his retirement check, Tricare and so forth. Not an issue.

He's hoping to land a technician job but that's secondary to getting back into uniform at this point.

If anybody can help or point us in the right direction we'd be grateful. I'm pointing him towards this forum, so he may pop up here himself.

Tell him to enjoy being retired. He is not going to be able to get back in.

Comment

Nonwaivable disqualifying separations or discharges

Retirement after 20 years of active Federal Service (AFS)

Comment

He should consider service with the State Defense Force.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. I figured he was out of luck but no harm in asking.

I pointed him in the direction of the CSMR.

Comment

He also needs his Marine head examined, cause that's nutty!

Comment

Working...
            X