Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Another Saluting Thread Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Another Saluting Thread

    Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
    Isn't it something ceremonial like sling arms?
    Not too far off, but no. Who else wants a crack.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Another Saluting Thread

      First, as a Warrant, I do not make a federal case if someone salutes or does not salute me but I have received salutes with my hands full and I replied with carry on or with the greeting of the day. Also, I have saluted other officers as I passed (volleyball salutes) that were junior with the officer that I was with. I have done this with senior field grades around me.

      The ones, I really get on is the enlisted/junior NCOs who think that Warrant Officers do not rate a salute because they were not taugh or aware (go figure since these are AD Soldiers).

      LT, what you did was right.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Another Saluting Thread

        The Navy is the only branch of the service (that I know of) where you are, under certain unusual circumstances, allowed to salute with the left hand. i.e. If you are doing something military with your right hand (such as piping a whistle) then it is appropriate to salute with your left.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Another Saluting Thread

          Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
          The Navy is the only branch of the service (that I know of) where you are, under certain unusual circumstances, allowed to salute with the left hand. i.e. If you are doing something military with your right hand (such as piping a whistle) then it is appropriate to salute with your left.
          I am not bored enough to dig through navy regulations, but I have been around the block enough to know that this is probably not completly accurate.

          There is one time when saluting with the left is authorized. When you do it most officer look at you like you are on crack....

          When you are carrying a guidon, and you are not in formation, the proper way to salute is using your left hand, bending at the elbow across your chest, palm down, parrell to the floor.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Another Saluting Thread

            Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            When you are carrying a guidon, and you are not in formation, the proper way to salute is using your left hand, bending at the elbow across your chest, palm down, parrell to the floor.
            Not doubting, but do you have a source?

            I see this:

            Guidon Bearer’s Salute
            a. When the guidon bearer (not in formation) has to salute from the order or carry position, the salute is given with the left hand. Move the left hand sharply to a position so that the first joint of the forefinger is touching the staff. The fingers and thumb are extended and joined, palm down, wrist straight, and forearm horizontal (Figure C-7).

            Click image for larger version

Name:	ff4904eeb5fc127236af3c2bff568a90.gif
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	365


            b. After the salute is acknowledged, return the left hand sharply to the side.


            c. When at double time (not in formation), return to quick time, returning the guidon to the carry position and render the guidon salute as previously described (subparagraph a). Upon completing the salute return to the carry position and resume double time (Figure C-6).

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Another Saluting Thread

              Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
              Not doubting, but do you have a source?

              I see this:

              Guidon Bearer’s Salute
              a. When the guidon bearer (not in formation) has to salute from the order or carry position, the salute is given with the left hand. Move the left hand sharply to a position so that the first joint of the forefinger is touching the staff. The fingers and thumb are extended and joined, palm down, wrist straight, and forearm horizontal (Figure C-7).

              Click image for larger version

Name:	ff4904eeb5fc127236af3c2bff568a90.gif
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	365


              b. After the salute is acknowledged, return the left hand sharply to the side.


              c. When at double time (not in formation), return to quick time, returning the guidon to the carry position and render the guidon salute as previously described (subparagraph a). Upon completing the salute return to the carry position and resume double time (Figure C-6).
              Yup you got it, FM 22-5, page C-7 is where it is. This is to prevent stabbing the officer with the guidon, even though there are plenty out there I would like to do that too LOL.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Another Saluting Thread

                I'm glad they put the double time explanation just in case the Guidon is in the wrong place!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Another Saluting Thread

                  Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                  The Navy is the only branch of the service (that I know of) where you are, under certain unusual circumstances, allowed to salute with the left hand. i.e. If you are doing something military with your right hand (such as piping a whistle) then it is appropriate to salute with your left.
                  In my almost 8 full years of active duty Navy, I have seen it a few times. After concurring with my brother, a retired 26 year ASCS, it's commonly seen with injured right arms, and when a Bos'n is piping. You know, the whistle.

                  http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/196...0A760B0D811297

                  Notice the guy in the yellow shirt saluting the president with his left hand.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Another Saluting Thread

                    Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    I am not bored enough to dig through navy regulations, but I have been around the block enough to know that this is probably not completly accurate.

                    There is one time when saluting with the left is authorized. When you do it most officer look at you like you are on crack....

                    When you are carrying a guidon, and you are not in formation, the proper way to salute is using your left hand, bending at the elbow across your chest, palm down, parrell to the floor.
                    Also, there are servicemembers that are serving that lost their right arm in Iraq and Afghanistan and feel more comfortable saluting with their left-hand than with their prosthetic.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Another Saluting Thread

                      Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      Yup you got it, FM 22-5, page C-7 is where it is. This is to prevent stabbing the officer with the guidon, even though there are plenty out there I would like to do that too LOL.
                      I guess nobody was a Guidon bearing like Chief

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0LjI_iTmI

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Another Saluting Thread

                        Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        I guess nobody was a Guidon bearing like Chief

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0LjI_iTmI
                        Does it actually show it in the video? I didn't see it.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X