X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Year active CW2 thinking about NG switch

Hello everyone. I have recently submitted my unqualified resignation and have been thinking about switching to the guard. My battalion commander is holding on to it because she doesnt think its a good idea.

However, I am considering two options, one to remain a warrant officer and the other is to go OCS.

Has anyone here switched to the NG late in their active career? I will have 16 years when, if, my resignation is approved. At the current rate I plan to retire right at 20 years. But, I would like to continue serving longer and also have aspirations of starting a civilian career and thats where the guard comes in. Eventually I would hope to accumalate my four remaining active years in order to have the option of an active duty retirement.

Although the thought of being a candidate once more doesnt flatter me much I think it waill pay off in the long run.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 16 Year active CW2 thinking about NG switch

Originally posted by Zoldier View Post
    Hello everyone. I have recently submitted my unqualified resignation and have been thinking about switching to the guard. My battalion commander is holding on to it because she doesnt think its a good idea.

However, I am considering two options, one to remain a warrant officer and the other is to go OCS.

Has anyone here switched to the NG late in their active career? I will have 16 years when, if, my resignation is approved. At the current rate I plan to retire right at 20 years. But, I would like to continue serving longer and also have aspirations of starting a civilian career and thats where the guard comes in. Eventually I would hope to accumalate my four remaining active years in order to have the option of an active duty retirement.

Although the thought of being a candidate once more doesnt flatter me much I think it waill pay off in the long run.

Chief, they do these boards called a QRB in the guard for everyone who reaches 20 and isn't retired. Sometimes, the option to stay in longer then 20 for the purposes you mention could not happen. In addition, it would be incredibly hard to reach 20 active years if you already have 16. Most full time vacancy announcements are written with a statement "have the ability to serve 3 years before reaching 18 years of Active Federal Service". This disclaimer is out there because of the sanctuary provisions on retirement.

On another note, with the wars coming to an end, getting four years on deployments would be next to impossible. There is also a 1095 day rule for active duty orders that may interfere with those goals as well.

I think it would be a major set back for you to switch when you are so close to 20.

Comment

You've mentioned four different career paths in your post, each of which has overlapping and conflicting implications. Since I can't figure out where you want to go, I can't give you any advice on how to get there. If you want some advice on where to go, I'd ask for your priorities in life. I also want to know why you would resign with 16 years AFS. What's the story behind the story?

Comment

What is an unqualified resignation? Were you passed by the CW3 board recently? Probably this is not relative to your situation, but now TERA is approved for the Army in which senior NCOs, Warrants and CO that are passed and have 15 years of AFS are eligible for an early retirement pension. Obviously at a lower percentage than 50% but its something.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'll try to clear up my situation. I dont qualify for TERA because I have not been passed over for promotion. My first look is next year.

My story...

I'm currently the BN S1 in a NATO unit in Italy. I'm doing well and my OERs are all excellent so my reason is not because of anything negative. As I mentioned before I'm looking forward to starting my civilian career but I do love being a Soldier. I love leading and mentoring troops and actually like going out and doing PT with them. This unit however is just another animal and its taking a toll on me and my family life, more so than any assignment I've had in 15 years (to include multiple deployments). The other side to this situation is that I was planning on submitting my OCS packet a couple years back but the pre-requisites changed and I no longer qualify (age, TIS). I see the NG as an option to pursue my goal of commissioning.

Being so close to retirement does play a big role in this decision. However, I am set financially with only a car payment, a home, and substantial savings and I think with my background in HR I can get a sufficient job to support my family. I know it's likely to be much less than what I make now but I'm okay with that.

ParalegalNCO1 made a good point in that it seems it could be quite difficult to accumalate another 4 years of active time in the guard so that is something to consider as well. CPT (at a minimum) retirement is quite a bit better than CW3 so I was hoping for that.

Comment

It would be next to impossible to accumulate the needed 4 years without back to back deployments. Any other special orders, I've seen a caveat in them that prevents the SM getting sanctuary. While a CPTs retirement may sound better, you won't get it until your 60. A CW3 retirement probably gives you more money then waiting another 20 years for the NG retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              A CW3 retirement probably gives you more money then waiting another 20 years for the NG retirement.
              I've never given REDLEG a +1 before. There is a first for everything.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'll try to clear up my situation. I dont qualify for TERA because I have not been passed over for promotion. My first look is next year.

My story...

I'm currently the BN S1 in a NATO unit in Italy. I'm doing well and my OERs are all excellent so my reason is not because of anything negative. As I mentioned before I'm looking forward to starting my civilian career but I do love being a Soldier. I love leading and mentoring troops and actually like going out and doing PT with them. This unit however is just another animal and its taking a toll on me and my family life, more so than any assignment I've had in 15 years (to include multiple deployments). The other side to this situation is that I was planning on submitting my OCS packet a couple years back but the pre-requisites changed and I no longer qualify (age, TIS). I see the NG as an option to pursue my goal of commissioning.

Being so close to retirement does play a big role in this decision. However, I am set financially with only a car payment, a home, and substantial savings and I think with my background in HR I can get a sufficient job to support my family. I know it's likely to be much less than what I make now but I'm okay with that.

ParalegalNCO1 made a good point in that it seems it could be quite difficult to accumalate another 4 years of active time in the guard so that is something to consider as well. CPT (at a minimum) retirement is quite a bit better than CW3 so I was hoping for that.
                I just left Germany and I think we are the same YG and went to WOCS the same year. I would not throw it away battle. Give me a PM if you like and I shoot you my info.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  I've never given REDLEG a +1 before. There is a first for everything.
                  Exactly. My base will be over 6 gran as a CW3. I plan to retire as a 4 or 5 though. That is over 7

Before you retire, you have BAH and BAS added. In some locales, you are making over 100K a year as a Chief Warrant Officer.

Comment

Are you a 420 in Italy? I am jealous

Comment

Flush 16 years AD......you need to call your battle buddy because thats crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                        Flush 16 years AD......you need to call your battle buddy because thats crazy!
                        He's not talking about flushing anything, he wants to continue his career in a different way. He's starting to identify that the National Guard has some possibilities that he can't get in the active component.

I'm a bit troubled by the reflexive thinking that an active component 20 year retirement is automatically the best choice for all people in all situations. If he ends up divorced and estranged from his family, his ex-wife will get some of that money anyway. Can we put no value on the Soldier's human relationships? Additionally, I'm troubled by the presumption that no civilian job could ever provide financially like the active component. This plantation mindset is a bit unhealthy, and artificially limits our possibilities.

I strongly recommend that when making career decisions we look at material benefits as only one of several factors.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                          He's not talking about flushing anything, he wants to continue his career in a different way. He's starting to identify that the National Guard has some possibilities that he can't get in the active component.

I'm a bit troubled by the reflexive thinking that an active component 20 year retirement is automatically the best choice for all people in all situations. If he ends up divorced and estranged from his family, his ex-wife will get some of that money anyway. Can we put no value on the Soldier's human relationships? Additionally, I'm troubled by the presumption that no civilian job could ever provide financially like the active component. This plantation mindset is a bit unhealthy, and artificially limits our possibilities.

I strongly recommend that when making career decisions we look at material benefits as only one of several factors.

Don't get me wrong I am all for a Soldier having peace of mind. However peace of mind doesn't pay the bills. His only option in the Guard is to be an M-Day Soldier unless he is placed on 4 long term ADOS tours. I have seen it all in the Guard but that seems like a long shot for a long shot. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The reality is that our nation is in dire straits. 401Ks getting reduced and not providing enough for retirement. Military pensions still on the table to be overhauled. People living longer. Fiscal cliff. Sequestration. War veterans that are unemployed and homeless. My aunt has worked for over 30 years and has nothing.

I first got off of active duty in 91 and did not have a family nor degree and I was able to achieve. Things have changed immensely since that time. Now as a Warrant with three combat deployments, degrees, certifications, TS clearance, Post 9/11 passed on to the girls, nice house and car; there is no guarantee that I will find a good paying job that will provide longetivity and stability. I have seen vets working downrange as civilians bouncing from Iraq to Afghanistan for nearly 7 years to rack up as much money as possible. Some make 6 figures and still feel like that have not saved enough.

I realized that with all my years of service; it just makes sense to retire with an AD pension.

Yes, the bottom line is family and WE ALL KNOW that when the Army always talked about family first; that was never the case. It was always ARMY first. I have seen Soldiers get out from 10 to 16 years of active service because they finally got fed up and completing it was not worth it in their case.

With my age now, I am on a timeline and do not have the flexibility I have had during my younger years but I am very thankful for what I have now and if I am involuntary separated for whatever reason; it was a glorious ride.

But how many of those career soldier that you have heard of; that was going to call it quits and are thankful for remaining because another Soldier (usually the E7-E9 individual) provided some valuable insight?

So many divorces have happened during the start of these wars but if that is an issue; you have more than enough resources at your disposal to seek help.

Good luck.
                            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks for eveyone's input. It turns out by XO/BC returned my packet to me and will not process it. If they do it will be with a recommended disapproval so I know how things will go from there on.

Comment

Working...
                              X