X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Engineer Officer

How does branching in the state traditional OCS program work. I am prior service 11b and USCG reserve. I was considering OCS and would be interested in a engineer unit. Any one have guidance or suggestions on this. Thanks.

Re: NY Engineer Officer

Originally posted by mpat View Post
    How does branching in the state traditional OCS program work. I am prior service 11b and USCG reserve. I was considering OCS and would be interested in a engineer unit. Any one have guidance or suggestions on this. Thanks.
    It all matters on where you live (how close to the unit) and the amount of vacant slots.

Comment

I didn't think distance from the unit was a factor for officers. I recently gained some LTs that live 3 hours from our unit, but only 30 minutes away from an Engineer company that has officer vacancies. I don't really feel bad for the guys though because I've always been far away from my unit. I just kind of assumed dealing with the distance was part of the job.

Comment

Currently in NY there are technically no engineer LT slots available. Of course they are continuing to add limited numbers of engineering officers, but the focus and the need of the NYARNG are in other areas such as logistics/quartermaster. If you search NY’s website you will find that the engineer units and detachments are rather widespread, so depending on your HOR you can expect to travel if you succeed in branching engineer. What are your chances of branching engineer and what can you do to improve those chances? Unknown.

http://dmna.ny.gov/facilities/

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
          I didn't think distance from the unit was a factor for officers. I recently gained some LTs that live 3 hours from our unit, but only 30 minutes away from an Engineer company that has officer vacancies. I don't really feel bad for the guys though because I've always been far away from my unit. I just kind of assumed dealing with the distance was part of the job.
          +1

I drive 2 hours to get to drill, and I have a couple E-4's in my platoon that drive 4 hours to get to drill! I could have accepted a position with HHC, who drills just 4 miles away from where I live but I would much rather be in my unit 2 hours away. HHC vs line unit.....line unit.

Comment

NY/NJ might want to think about augmenting their EN force after Hurricane Sandy. Especially since the wars are winding down and we return to a "support of civilian authority" purpose.

Comment

It doens't matter in terms of it being a deal breaker for officer or enlisted. They are obviously going to try and fill a position around the corner before they ask you to drive far away.

Comment

I'm not looking to go to any traditional unit that's 3 hours away. Fortunately it takes no more than 2.5 hours from the northern border to the southern border of NJ and I live in central Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  I'm not looking to go to any traditional unit that's 3 hours away. Fortunately it takes no more than 2.5 hours from the northern border to the southern border of NJ and I live in central Jersey.
                  Just try to make it from High Point to Cape May in 2.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                    Just try to make it from High Point to Cape May in 2.5 hours.
                    That probably takes 3.5 hours but if you live in High Point, you already fail at life. I was referring more towards the I-95 corridor.
                    Last edited by Polo08816; November 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

The way the units are laid down you don't have a choice if you live in the lower part of the state and branch EN. Other than the 1 construction company, there's nothing close.

Comment

The way the units are laid down you don't have a choice if you live in the lower part of the state and branch EN. Other than the 1 construction company, there's nothing close.
                        Understandable. Which state are you referring to?

In all honesty, if that was the case, I would have looked into USAR units but that's a moot point by the time you're commissioning via OCS.

Comment

Understandable. Which state are you referring to?

In all honesty, if that was the case, I would have looked into USAR units but that's a moot point by the time you're commissioning via OCS.
                          I didn't know any better coming out of ROTC. They pretty much handed me the number for the NG OSM of the state and that was that. Quick unit search of the USAR proves that they would not have had any better options for me. It's neither here nor there for me at this point - I'm used to the commute. It does make for some long Sunday afternoons though.

Comment

I didn't know any better coming out of ROTC. They pretty much handed me the number for the NG OSM of the state and that was that. Quick unit search of the USAR proves that they would not have had any better options for me. It's neither here nor there for me at this point - I'm used to the commute. It does make for some long Sunday afternoons though.
                            +1. I'm not trying to be that @sshole that is woken up in the middle of his nap behind the wheel by his car bouncing all over the place in the median of a highway.

Comment

Working...
                            X