X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective Retention Board

I don't normally ask for advice on the forums, but there are a few senior members here that I wouldn't mind some insight from in this instance.

I recieved a memorandum indicating that I meet the criteria for consideration by the 2013 selection board for review to determine if I meet the criteria to be retained (as I have already completed at least 20 years of qualifying service for retirement).

I'm encouraged to update my ORB, and review my OMPF.

My hope is to be retained at least another decade, perhaps up to my MRD which won't be until 2030.

Is anyone familiar with this process, and what is the typical outcome for officers in my situation?

Re: Selective Retention Board

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
    I don't normally ask for advice on the forums, but there are a few senior members here that I wouldn't mind some insight from in this instance.

I recieved a memorandum indicating that I meet the criteria for consideration by the 2013 selection board for review to determine if I meet the criteria to be retained (as I have already completed at least 20 years of qualifying service for retirement).

I'm encouraged to update my ORB, and review my OMPF.

My hope is to be retained at least another decade, perhaps up to my MRD which won't be until 2030.

Is anyone familiar with this process, and what is the typical outcome for officers in my situation?
    I think I recognize these being called a QRB... Tell me if I am wrong with this statement....

You have 20 qualifying years towards retirement but are full time so have not retired, whether it be AGR or Tech?

If so, make your records pristine. I have not seen anyone have an issue with these unless they were a complete turd burglar.

Comment

LT,

Can you type out the meat and potatoes of the memo? Also, I believe that LTC Ritchie will have the best knowledge to answer this question.

On the active side, we are given links to different portals that provides additional information. (e.g. myboardfile)

Also, if you do not already know, but if you are taking masters courses, I will get those latest transcripts and have them uploaded to iPerms.

Comment

Roger. Ill print it out in the am!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          The typical outcome is that those officers who cannot prove that they have something to offer the organization will not be retained. To put it gently, their talents will be released into the civilian world.

The purpose of the QRB is to identify those officers who are meeting minimum standards, and removing them to make room for more junior officers who have something to offer for the future. We all know That Guy who shows up, does his little bit, and goes home. He never stretches, never reaches, never leaves his little comfort zone. He's not a bad person, and during the Reagan Administration he may have been a force for good, but now, he's just phoning it in. The QRB is designed to congratulate him for his years of faithful service -- and then get rid of him.

Other than complying with the instructions in the memo, there's really nothing you can do now (at least, there's nothing helpful that you can do ... you always have the opportunity to make matters worse). If you meet/exceed current standards on civilian and military education, have consistently decent APFT/weight scores, have solid OERs, and have sought out challenging assignments, then I wouldn't get too worried. What is your reputation among your peers and immediate superiors? If they know you exist, and that's about it, then get worried. If they have some positive things to say, then that's a good sign.

If you are legitimately worried, and you want to stay in, then one option is to make a decisive pre-emptive strike: resign your commission and enlist before you face the board. If you wait, this may not be an option if you are non-retained, because a QRB action may issue certain RE/SPD codes that may preclude enlistment.

Comment

But why would that happened to a 2LT? His officer career hasn't even started. It is like kicking a private out after two years of decent service lol. Or is his TIS that has him eligible for retirement driving this too?

Comment

Based on LTC Ritchie's response, I am guessing it is because his TIS, age (as he is no less than 37 years old) and low rank in relation to those may be very difficult to ignore.
              Last edited by SteveLord; October 31st, 2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                Based on LTC Ritchie's response, I am guessing it is because his TIS, age (as he is no less than 37 years old) and low rank in relation to those may be very difficult to ignore.
                The QRB will snag everyone who has 20+ years of creditable service. It's not a personal insult. It's a mechanism to force the organization to make a conscious, deliberate decision whether to keep someone or not. I'm facing the QRB myself in a few months.

Comment

Sir,

Thank you as usual for the excellent advice.

The Colonel is correct in that I am not being individually sniped for the QRB, I simply have my 20 year letter and this will be an ongoing issue for me. I'd like to think my reputation is excellent, and my record is even better. Even so, I hope everyone can appreciate my anxiety nonetheless. If I have my druthers I plan on staying another 17 years to my MRD. The forum will be the second to know if they give me the boot!

Comment

I am headed to my first SRB. I am trying to figure out if I should write a letter to the president of the board. I was planning on it since my records are in order and I thought the purpose was to refute an issue. However, I am being told it is optional, but strongly encouraged. I welcome any thoughts....I am struggling on what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SinCityItalian View Post
                      I am headed to my first SRB. I am trying to figure out if I should write a letter to the president of the board. I was planning on it since my records are in order and I thought the purpose was to refute an issue. However, I am being told it is optional, but strongly encouraged. I welcome any thoughts....I am struggling on what to do.
                      Explain what you have to offer the organization.

Comment

Thanks....Can you direct me as to where to find the proper format? I have found 2 different samples/templates. But they seem to be written as a memorandum. The HRC has a sample but I am questioning the format.

Comment

AR 25-50 deals with the proper preparation of military correspondence, and provides samples and detailed guidance.

Comment

Working...
                          X