Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIL TECH, FEDERAL TECHNICIAN and GUARD

Hello All,

I have a few things going on all going on at once so I will try to keep this as simple as possible with just providing the major details. I am a veteran from active Army made the switch to the guard as a temp tech. I am enlisted currently as a temp tech my ETS is less than 90 days out. (If I donít get picked up for the full time Mil Tech slot I then intend to ETS the guard and go back to Active Duty. I may be hired as permanent technician. What would happen "if":

I got hired as a full time technician in an enlisted position days prior to my guard ETS...?

Now as a freshly hired Guard MIL TECH I have to decide quickly what re up route to take...

Enlisted- Iím pretty sure if I stay enlisted and just pick another MOS the status as a MIL TECH wonít be affected.

GO OCS. What might happen as newly hired enlisted Fed Tech to immediately jump ship off to OCS

Warrant Officer- This is a time consuming process however even after meeting all the pre requisites WOCS will take moths maybe even years to get selected then complete WOCS and training

My question is "IFĒ I am hired as an enlisted Mil Tech and shortly after leave for OCS or WOCS can I lose the Mil Tech spot for going away to school and changing status to an officer?

Thank you for sharing thoughts on this situation

Re: MIL TECH, FEDERAL TECHNICIAN and GUARD

Originally posted by averagejoe View Post
    If I donít get picked up for the full time Mil Tech slot I then intend to ETS the guard and go back to Active Duty. I may be hired as permanent technician
    I'll let someone else answer the rest of that maze. The most important thing is, have you looked at the RA prior service rules? The days of just "going active duty" are long, long over for prior service soldiers. They take a very limited amount of very specific skill sets. Ensure you are eligible before you pass on any other positions with the guard, even if they are temp.

Comment

Originally posted by averagejoe View Post
      Hello All,

I have a few things going on all going on at once so I will try to keep this as simple as possible with just providing the major details. I am a veteran from active Army made the switch to the guard as a temp tech. I am enlisted currently as a temp tech my ETS is less than 90 days out. (If I don’t get picked up for the full time Mil Tech slot I then intend to ETS the guard and go back to Active Duty. I may be hired as permanent technician. What would happen "if":

I got hired as a full time technician in an enlisted position days prior to my guard ETS...?

Now as a freshly hired Guard MIL TECH I have to decide quickly what re up route to take...

Enlisted- I’m pretty sure if I stay enlisted and just pick another MOS the status as a MIL TECH won’t be affected.

GO OCS. What might happen as newly hired enlisted Fed Tech to immediately jump ship off to OCS

Warrant Officer- This is a time consuming process however even after meeting all the pre requisites WOCS will take moths maybe even years to get selected then complete WOCS and training

My question is "IF” I am hired as an enlisted Mil Tech and shortly after leave for OCS or WOCS can I lose the Mil Tech spot for going away to school and changing status to an officer?

Thank you for sharing thoughts on this situation
      I believe there is some sort of stipulation for miltechs in which they cannot outrank their supervisor. Do some research into this.

Comment

What would happen "if" I got hired as a full time technician in an enlisted position days prior to my guard ETS...?
        First, you'd get a phone call informing you of your selection for the position. You couldn't formally become a technician without re-enlisting.

My question is "IFĒ I am hired as an enlisted Mil Tech and shortly after leave for OCS or WOCS can I lose the Mil Tech spot for going away to school and changing status to an officer?
        Oh yes. It would be extraordinarily unlikely that you'd find yourself in a situation in which your current dual-status miltech job would be grade-compatible as an officer position. There's also the problem of grade inversion, which another post mentioned.

What some DS techs do is complete WOCS or OCS in a drilling status, then hold their certificate of eligibility (NGB89, I believe) for up to 24 months. Then, if the stars align (i.e., a compatible job opens up that they can compete for and get selected), they'll exercise that option, and pin on their new rank. This is a dicey procedure, so be sure that you know what you're doing before you expend a great deal of effort. Also, for best results your supervisory chain really needs to work with you on this.

Comment

Tech jobs are directly related to both your MOS and grade. As an officer and a Fed Tech I can say that officer positions are few and far between. Whereas enlisted positions are more common. Also most states will open certain positions to current techs only, which means that you as a current tech would have first shot. Either way these positions won't be offered to you, you will have to get out there and sale yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            I'll let someone else answer the rest of that maze. The most important thing is, have you looked at the RA prior service rules? The days of just "going active duty" are long, long over for prior service soldiers. They take a very limited amount of very specific skill sets. Ensure you are eligible before you pass on any other positions with the guard, even if they are temp.
            I thought the same thing. He will missing a lot of question marks at the end of the sentences.

Also, he did not provide enough background about his WO question.

Comment

Like the others have said, a lot of stars need to align to make everything work, but it isn't impossible.

Taking a MIL TECH position gets your feet in the door. Then, if you do a solid job and really show the value to your unit and your state, then you can discuss going WOCS/OCS with your chain of command. There are many that make the transition from Enlisted to Officer while on a full time status, they just work with their state to make it a smooth transition and in some cases delay their actual commission for a few months. The inversion problem is something to be aware of, but don't let it deter you from having the conversations and developing a long term career path.

Comment

We had a guy in my OCS class who was a MIL TECH. He had to wear his OCS rank at his MIL TECH job until he commissioned. Once he commissioned he had to resign from the mil tech position.

Side note for interest: He got into some trouble with the OCS staff for wearing his E-5 rank during mil tech duties and then switched to OCS for those weekends.

Comment

Absolutely agreed with the current climate of active Army being very selective. I appreciate the guidance and responses. I am in NYC and needless to say we are busy. First decent connection I had since Sandy visited here.

NO BREATHER FROM WORK.
                  NO RELIEF FROM COMBAT.
                  NO REQUEST FOR RESPITE.
                  "NO SLACK!"

"NO SLACK

Comment

A quick question to whom ever can answer, I was a temp tech WG-05 and was moved to WG-11, then i worked there until i got an offer from a contracting company which now i work for. problem is that i was never promoted on paper(submitted to HRO) so i did not get paid for the last six weeks as a WG-11 and it's been 3 months since and no retro pay yet. Shoul i move this up to IG complaint? Standing by for any comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior62 View Post
                      A quick question to whom ever can answer, I was a temp tech WG-05 and was moved to WG-11, then i worked there until i got an offer from a contracting company which now i work for. problem is that i was never promoted on paper(submitted to HRO) so i did not get paid for the last six weeks as a WG-11 and it's been 3 months since and no retro pay yet. Shoul i move this up to IG complaint? Standing by for any comments.
                      Since your dispute is with the technician side, they have their own grievance process. Of course, if you have no documentation that you were promoted, then I don't know how you can prove that you deserve back pay.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                        We had a guy in my OCS class who was a MIL TECH. He had to wear his OCS rank at his MIL TECH job until he commissioned. Once he commissioned he had to resign from the mil tech position.

Side note for interest: He got into some trouble with the OCS staff for wearing his E-5 rank during mil tech duties and then switched to OCS for those weekends.
                        I've seen similar instances with candidates from my class and prior classes. I had two fellow candidates that were Techs on temporary orders as enlisted, one for JFHQ and one for Recruiting. They wore their OCS ranks at work also. Both were very, very lucky that they were able to parlay their jobs over into commissioned jobs last month when we pinned on.

I saw another guy that was not as fortunate. He was an E-7 Tech, went to OCS and completed it 2 classes before mine, but had to defer his commission because there were no open officer jobs for him. He stayed an E-7 right up until the very edge of his 2-year window of accepting his commission so he is just now a 2LT because he waited until a job opened up. It's definitely not an easy process.
                        Last edited by eqmcclure; September 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X