Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANG to Army Guard Pilot Slot

Hello,

I want to be a pilot in the military. I'm enlisted in the Air National Guard as a TACP and when I finish my degree I want to apply to units to try and secure a shot at UPT. Another option i'm considering is the WO program in the army to fly helo's. I know nothing about the army side of the house but I've heard you need to be enlisted for a while to be in position to apply for aviator. My question is; can I apply to be a pilot in the guard with my time in as an Air Guardsmen? Would this be a viable option for me? I'm 21 with 5 years left on my contract.

Thanks

Re: ANG to Army Guard Pilot Slot

Yes ... although you have no formal assurance of becoming a pilot prior to enlistment in the ARNG. You can speak in advance to the State Army Aviation Officer (SAAO), who can make a verbal commitment, although this is not the same as a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      Yes ... although you have no formal assurance of becoming a pilot prior to enlistment in the ARNG. You can speak in advance to the State Army Aviation Officer (SAAO), who can make a verbal commitment, although this is not the same as a contract.
      I understand. The key statement here is "prior to enlistment", Since I am currently enlisted in the ANG would that time crossover and be equal to a ARNG enlistment in regards to "securing" a pilot slot? In other words, can I speak with the aforementioned SAAO and receive the verbal commitment while enlisted in the ANG, that would allow me to keep my current job position in the Air Guard until an aviator slot opened up and I can seamlessly transition?

Comment

Originally posted by thevoid View Post
        I understand. The key statement here is "prior to enlistment", Since I am currently enlisted in the ANG would that time crossover and be equal to a ARNG enlistment in regards to "securing" a pilot slot? In other words, can I speak with the aforementioned SAAO and receive the verbal commitment while enlisted in the ANG, that would allow me to keep my current job position in the Air Guard until an aviator slot opened up and I can seamlessly transition?
        The bottom line here is you must be in the ARNG to be accepted to flght school. Could you call the SAAO and have him say, sure we will take you..yes. Does it mean anything?...No.

Nothing is going to happen until you enlist in the ARNG. Got it?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          The bottom line here is you must be in the ARNG to be accepted to flght school. Could you call the SAAO and have him say, sure we will take you..yes. Does it mean anything?...No.

Nothing is going to happen until you enlist in the ARNG. Got it?
          Yes Sergeant, I got it. I didn't mean to rustle your jimmies.

Comment

Working...
          X