Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guard officer looking for options (IST, resignation, ect)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard officer looking for options (IST, resignation, ect)

I'm having trouble getting answers for my particular situation. I'm a prior enlisted national guard solder (11 years) then I went through OCS and graduated in 2011. In January of this year my business went under and as a result I also lost my home. I was forced to move out of state to live with family while I get my life back on track. The problem I'm having is that my guard unit is demanding that I come back and drill with them each month. Its a 1700 mile trip one way and if I fly I lose double what I would make at drill. I told them that I have no problem transfering to the national guard in this state but they are claiming that I have to go back and drill with them while they work on setting up the transfer. This process to my knowledge can take quite a long time. They are threatening to AWOL me out if I don't return. At this point I'm stuck. I'm asking what options are available to me. Can I just resign being as I'm an officer and just walk away from the guard but still maintain my VA benefits? Is there some waiver I can request? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: Guard officer looking for options (IST, resignation, ect)

Originally posted by Theblue View Post
    I'm having trouble getting answers for my particular situation. I'm a prior enlisted national guard solder (11 years) then I went through OCS and graduated in 2011. In January of this year my business went under and as a result I also lost my home. I was forced to move out of state to live with family while I get my life back on track. The problem I'm having is that my guard unit is demanding that I come back and drill with them each month. Its a 1700 mile trip one way and if I fly I lose double what I would make at drill. I told them that I have no problem transfering to the national guard in this state but they are claiming that I have to go back and drill with them while they work on setting up the transfer. This process to my knowledge can take quite a long time. They are threatening to AWOL me out if I don't return. At this point I'm stuck. I'm asking what options are available to me. Can I just resign being as I'm an officer and just walk away from the guard but still maintain my VA benefits? Is there some waiver I can request? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
    No reasonable commander will expect perfect attendance for an M-day soldier that lives 1700 miles away.

Request to SUTA. It is your responsibility to find a unit that will allow you to SUTA in your new home state. If not, you may want to consider the IG.

I'm sure you will have more experienced NCOs on the board that will provide you with better advice soon. Search function may help as well.

Comment

The best way to conduct an IST is to go out to local units, meet Readiness NCO's and request to SUTA. Waiting on two states to cordinate the thing for you very rarely goes smoothly.

Comment

Isnt it possible to have a state accept you for a spot when you walk in, then take an oath and basically force a transfer, rather than coordinating it? If so, I wouldnt recommend it, but you sound like you have the situation calling for such a move

Comment

Transferring officers is slightly more complicated than for enlisted, but it is still fairly simple. You do however need to get an acceptance memo from a unit in the state where you wish to transfer. That gets the process rolling.

Comment

I've read your message twice, and I'm not entirely sure what is your desired end-state. I can't give you any directions if I don't know your destination.

Comment

My destination is to just understand what all my options are. I've been working on getting the IST rolling but if my home state blocks it, as they are saying they will, can I just resign and call it a day? I cannot find anything in IPERMS that tells me I have a contract to fulfill. The last thing I can find says my ETS date was Sept of 2011 (to allow me enough time to complete OCS) I've looked through all my paperwork I signed at my commissioning and nothing has a new contract end date. Does this mean officers just serve at their own leisure? I never even asked or thought about it before because I'd always thought I'd be in so it never occurred to me.

Comment

My destination is to just understand what all my options are. I've been working on getting the IST rolling but if my home state blocks it, as they are saying they will, can I just resign and call it a day? I cannot find anything in IPERMS that tells me I have a contract to fulfill. The last thing I can find says my ETS date was Sept of 2011 (to allow me enough time to complete OCS) I've looked through all my paperwork I signed at my commissioning and nothing has a new contract end date. Does this mean officers just serve at their own leisure? I never even asked or thought about it before because I'd always thought I'd be in so it never occurred to me.
                Please explain how your home state is planning to block your IST. I'm not doubting you. I may need an IST soon so I'm curious as to the process as well.

Comment

By not granting me a waiver from drill while the process goes forward they will be marking me AWOL. They mark me AWOL for enough MUTAs and I will be kicked out before the process is complete. So not a "block" but a way for them to make me choose returning for drill over being discharged.

Comment

They will mark you unexcused if you are not excused. You need to have a frank, respectful discussion with your losing commander. More importantly you need to do a substitute UTA, as recommended above, with a unit close to where you are now, so you won't be marked AWOL.

The IST can take several months to go through, and you won't want to have that many unexcused drills.

Comment

By not granting me a waiver from drill while the process goes forward they will be marking me AWOL. They mark me AWOL for enough MUTAs and I will be kicked out before the process is complete. So not a "block" but a way for them to make me choose returning for drill over being discharged.
                      Are you unable to drill there for a few drills while the paperwork is being processed? I know Officer ISTs are a different beast than Enlisted, but I can't see it taking too long to get everything through, especially if you are involved in the process and on top of your transfer's progress.

It's a fairly common requirement to need a "waiver" for drills. Some states make it a requirement that the Soldier is excused from drills before processing an IST. I recently came across this on the Texas ARNG website.

Ultimately, it would be a shame to see you forced in a corner, feeling like the only option is to resign your commission.

Comment

Agreed. This is unfortunate. I'm surprised your state and unit isn't more supportive. Are you branch qualified?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                          Agreed. This is unfortunate. I'm surprised your state and unit isn't more supportive. Are you branch qualified?
                          I am not branch qualified. My losing commander has stated that I can drill with a unit here however, "we are still going to mark you unexused because you are not HERE". So not only would I be drilling for free but it would not do me any good. At this point I dont think I have any option but to resign me commision. I've also kicked around a congressional complaint or an IG but I dont want to be "that guy". Its very disheartening. I have given them over 11 years and several deployments and this is how I am being treated. They keep saying that I should have discussed it with them before leaving, no credit is given to the fact that I lost my home. Apparently they think I should have moved into an armory and figured it out from there (theyve said as much)... Does anybody have any idea how to resign a commision or what the process is at all? I cant find any information.

Comment

I am not branch qualified. My losing commander has stated that I can drill with a unit here however, "we are still going to mark you unexused because you are not HERE". So not only would I be drilling for free but it would not do me any good. At this point I dont think I have any option but to resign me commision. I've also kicked around a congressional complaint or an IG but I dont want to be "that guy". Its very disheartening. I have given them over 11 years and several deployments and this is how I am being treated. They keep saying that I should have discussed it with them before leaving, no credit is given to the fact that I lost my home. Apparently they think I should have moved into an armory and figured it out from there (theyve said as much)... Does anybody have any idea how to resign a commision or what the process is at all? I cant find any information.
                            Are you actually afraid of using the IG or your Congressman/Senator because you may be "that guy"? In this business, there is no place for cowards. If you act like a coward, people will treat you like a coward.

Read my post here: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...917#post169917

I did what I did because they made it personal. After it was all said and done, no one has ever tried to play f-f games with me ever again.

As far as I see it, you're commander is being "that idiot" because he's willing to let this small situation escalate into the IG or a Congressman/Senator calling his supervisor.

In the end, you're going to IST right? Do you really care what they think of you? Look, if you want to resign your commission, then do it. If it was me, I'm not going to give it up without a real fight.
                            Last edited by Polo08816; October 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Regarding the post Polo refers to. I was indeed in the unit and one of the cadre members mentioned him and had several derogatory remarks to make. I'm definitely glad I withheld judgement to find out in person. I've seen and heard nothing but good stuff sense and the chain of Command (we're in the same unit) has said the same things.

What this means to you is there is no such thing as "that guy". I can see where they are upset you didnt notify them. I'd be upset too, but they're trying to railroad you. Do what you have to do. If you're at the point of considering resigning, what are they honestly going to do that you care about? End your career? You're thinking of doing that yourself already.

Comment

Working...
                              X