Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guard officer looking for options (IST, resignation, ect)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guard officer looking for options (IST, resignation, ect)

Originally posted by Theblue View Post
    I am not branch qualified. My losing commander has stated that I can drill with a unit here however, "we are still going to mark you unexused because you are not HERE". So not only would I be drilling for free but it would not do me any good. At this point I dont think I have any option but to resign me commision. I've also kicked around a congressional complaint or an IG but I dont want to be "that guy". Its very disheartening. I have given them over 11 years and several deployments and this is how I am being treated. They keep saying that I should have discussed it with them before leaving, no credit is given to the fact that I lost my home. Apparently they think I should have moved into an armory and figured it out from there (theyve said as much)... Does anybody have any idea how to resign a commision or what the process is at all? I cant find any information.
    You are out of your mind if you resign. They really can't stop you from doing an IST. How many readiness NCO's and unit commanders have you met in the new location? I presume none. You will not get a process like this to go smoothly by expecting the IST coordinators to do it for you, even if it is their job. Once an IST has started you get 90 days excused from drill.

Instead of spending so much thought on resigning, you need to spend some energy speaking with the IST coordinator of the GAINING state and local readiness NCO's in the area.

I don't see how resigning would do anything for you, you still won't be "there" for drill.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      You are out of your mind if you resign. They really can't stop you from doing an IST. How many readiness NCO's and unit commanders have you met in the new location? I presume none. You will not get a process like this to go smoothly by expecting the IST coordinators to do it for you, even if it is their job. Once an IST has started you get 90 days excused from drill.

Instead of spending so much thought on resigning, you need to spend some energy speaking with the IST coordinator of the GAINING state and local readiness NCO's in the area.

I don't see how resigning would do anything for you, you still won't be "there" for drill.
      +1 there's your answer. Do the work so you dont get any missed drills on your record.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post

Paralegal, I have spoken to both the readiness NCO and unit commander in my gaining state along with both the IST coordinator and his supervisor. HOWEVER, my losing state has to produce a DA 4187 and a memo granting me the 90 day waiver from drill, these two things can only be done by my losing state. Also, I'm not spending energy on the thought of resigning but at this point I'm against a wall. I only have so many drills until I get kicked out and lose my benefits, as such all options are on the table. Resignation is my last option but one I may have to use, I'm just trying to conduct a little recon on all available COAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Theblue View Post
          Paralegal, I have spoken to both the readiness NCO and unit commander in my gaining state along with both the IST coordinator and his supervisor. HOWEVER, my losing state has to produce a DA 4187 and a memo granting me the 90 day waiver from drill, these two things can only be done by my losing state. Also, I'm not spending energy on the thought of resigning but at this point I'm against a wall. I only have so many drills until I get kicked out and lose my benefits, as such all options are on the table. Resignation is my last option but one I may have to use, I'm just trying to conduct a little recon on all available COAs.
          That was my understanding of the process, too; that your losing unit holds the responsibility to excuse you from drills. In other words, that it isn't an automatic process. This is why many states won't process incoming ISTs until they get the go-ahead from their losing unit.

I agree, though, that your direct involvement in the whole process is paramount and that it may well be time to lodge an IG complaint.

What I'm not understanding is why you're not branch qualified in your losing unit? I'm well aware that it can be more complicated than this, but can you transfer to a local unit that you ARE branch qualified for to get your IST pushed through? Just thinking out loud on this one.

Comment

Every NCO has someone that is over them and every Officer has someone that is over them. You requested something from your command and if their response is unreasonable, move up the ladder one rung.

Calling the IG in your state for options does not mean that you have to file an IG complaint. However, if there is grounds for a complaint and from your side of the story there certainly seems to be, then filing the complaint is an entitlement. It is not a derogatory thing to have filed a complaint if there is a problem that needs to be fixed and the people responsible for fixing it are not fixing it. In your first post you asked about an obligation. Yes, if you accepted your commision there is a mandatory service obligation (MSO). It should be listed on your commissioning documentation.

If the Unit there is willing to accept you and the commander will write you a conditional acceptance letter with a paragraph and line number, send that to your unit along with your request to IST. If it was me, I would have spoken with the IG first and at least brought him into the loop. That doesn't mean you have to file a complaint. Then when you send your request to your commander, CC the IG. This will let the commander know that he is not the only person watching this situation and that usually bumps the process back to on track instead of being on a personal agenda of some sort.

Comment

Working...
            X