X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition from Active Duty to ARNG

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, I read the FAQs but didn't find very much about my situation.

I am currently a 1LT serving on active duty at Ft. Benning. My ADSO will end in 11 months and I am interested in transitioning into the ARNG in Minnesota. If everything goes as planned, I will be promoted to CPT on the 2013 CPT Promotion list in the summer of 2013. I am an Armor Officer and I did my Platoon Leader time in the 101st Airborne Division as a dismounted Infantry PL in Afghanistan. I am currently an XO for 19K OSUT at Fort Benning.

I have not been able to find very much information about transitioning to the ARNG as an Officer. I would like to transfer to a different branch when I enter the ARNG (SC, MI, or LC). Do ARNG Officers go to the Captains Career Course with Active Duty Officers or is there a Reserve Component Career Course? I have also heard I will need a by-name request from a Battalion Commander in the ARNG. Is that a formal request process or simply a phone call/email to speak with the Battalion Commander and he/she looks at my ORB and OERs and decides if he/she wants me in the Battalion?

Any help would be great. I am going to speak with a ARNG liaison here at Ft. Benning in the coming week. Also if anyone on here is part of the Minnesota ARNG, any insight on the transition would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Transition from Active Duty to ARNG

Ask the ARNG Liaison to put you in touch with Minnesota's Officer Strength Manager (OSM).

For best results, complete all the paperwork months ahead of time, because during transition you'll be clearing post, packing boxes, etc., and you won't be in the mood to fill out an NGB62e. Complete all your paperwork at once, because if you dabble in it, it will take longer, and you'll miss something. Lock yourself in a room and don't leave until you've done it all (it's really not that much).

Determine now what you want, and be realistic about the sacrifices. If the duty position you want is 300 miles from home, get real, you don't want to drive that far to drill. Have a Plan B, C, and even D for what branches, assignments, units, etc. Determine your priorities of what is most important to you, so you know where and how to make trade-offs.

Comment

Sir,
      Thanks for the advice. I am currently finishing up my REFRAD/Unqualified Resignation packet. It will be a long 6-9 months while I wait to hear back.

Comment

Good luck with your transition. I wish you the best.

Comment

Working...
        X