X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerated OCS graduation rate

What is the success rate in Accelerated OCS?

Re: Accelerated OCS graduation rate

I have heard that it is somewhere in the 98% area. When I was looking into the program about 4 years ago this was the average number I found. At the time Land Nav was the number 1 factor that led people to not complete the course. That may have changed and someone on here may have more recent stats, but I believe AOCS has a very high graduation rate.

Comment

Originally posted by EasternShoreman View Post
      What is the success rate in Accelerated OCS?
      This is obviously anecdotal, but I graduated from AOCS in 2007 and the only people who didn't make it were either total retards or pansies. If you have an ounce of competence and a smidgen of motivation, you are going to graduate. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good time, however.

Comment

I read about a water combat course that makes me nervous.

Comment

In OCS you do a water survival course, if you can call it that. You have to swim a short distance in ACU's while holding a dummy M16 over your head, you have to jump in the water with a load bearing vest (LBV), take it off and swim to the side, and jump off a high dive (feet first) blind folded while holding an M16, take off the blindfold and swim to the side.

We had people in our class who didn't know how to swim and they did a remedial swimming class prior to them doing these 3 excercises. None of them failed it. It is very simple and easy. Now if your thinking of flight school or special operations then there are much more intense water survival courses, but for OCS it is very simple and all you have to do is attempt them to pass. If you sink to the bottom they have life guards to pull you up. You attempted and so you passed.

Comment

The attrition rate is between 20-30%, with as others have mentioned the largest NO GOs stemming from Land Navigation and the dreaded "failure to adapt to the OCS environment". Dismissal is either with or without predjudice, although unless you are dismissed for an honor code violation (which is atypical), re-entry into the program at a later date is certainly possible. Portree is correct that the water suvival is nothing to be worried about. Even NON-SWIMMERS pass, as long as an attempt is made...although it sure scares them to death.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification on the water survival description. I got caught in a riptide a few summers ago so I still get nervous sometimes in the water. I dont think the Land Nav will be too tough. I took it in a ROTC class along with military History. The military Justice sounds interestingthough. I am more worried about the 3 mile run. I have knocked my mile run time from 15 minutes to 8 minutes average and at best 6:50. My best 2 mile was 15:45. Will basic help with the long distance run?
              Mongoose what do you mean failure to adapt to the OCS environment?

Comment

Will basic help with the long distance run? Mongoose what do you mean failure to adapt to the OCS environment?
                BCT will absolutely help you with your distance running, since you'll be doing plenty of it.

What Mongoose means by "Failure to Adapt" is exactly as it sounds; it's those Soldiers that, for some reason, are unable to handle the stress, the pressure, the rules, the responsibility, you name it. Often what happens is the Soldier will act out, give up, or exhibit some sort of anxiety/depression.

Comment

RyCass is right on the run and BCT. When I went through (at the age of 35) I could barely run a mile and I'm not sure I had ever run 2 miles. During BCT You run everyday....a lot. One day you do wind sprints, the next day you do a 2 or 3 mile run, then next day wind sprints, then maybe a 3 or 4 mile run and then maybe just a cardio day of jumping jacks, pushups and other low impact exercises. By the end of BCT I could easily run 3 or 4 miles at 7 to 8 min pace. If you work hard at it and don't have a "Just Get By" mentality then you can get a lot of out of it.

Comment

Glad to see that they mix it up. Better make sure I got some good running shoes

Comment

Get a pair of ASICS if you can afford them. If they are still in good condition you can take them to Basic and they may let you keep those instead of spending $70 on a pair there. No promises, but that is what I did. They asked me my size and I showed them my pair and they said it was fine and let me move on. Everyone else spent $70 on a pair of Asics or Nike. It was whatever they had on hand in your size.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                        BCT will absolutely help you with your distance running, since you'll be doing plenty of it.

What Mongoose means by "Failure to Adapt" is exactly as it sounds; it's those Soldiers that, for some reason, are unable to handle the stress, the pressure, the rules, the responsibility, you name it. Often what happens is the Soldier will act out, give up, or exhibit some sort of anxiety/depression.
                        The ones I saw in my class were those who collapsed under stress or couldn't issue clear orders. They'd get up in front of the platoon or company and freak out when the TACs got after them. Some of them were pushed towards going the traditional route to give them more time.

Honor violations are the real killer, we had one where a guy was hiding drugs in the ceiling. Honestly it was probably just cigarettes or something (never heard the details), but they found it and he vanished from the school within a few hours.

Don't worry too much about the run, but you should train for it, at least to get your mind over any mental blocks of 'I can't run 3 miles'. The time they give you is enough and you will get so good at running while you're there. Work as hard as you can on your PT test and you'll be fine.

Comment

I can comprehend why someone would even consdier bring drugs to a situation like that.

Comment

Honestly a candy bar hidden in the ceiling tile would get you booted.

Comment

Originally posted by EasternShoreman View Post
                              I can comprehend why someone would even consdier bring drugs to a situation like that.
                              I mean was it crack cocaine? Or prescription drugs?
                              I got myself put on prescription ibuprofen before I went to OCS. I just checked them in with the medics, and every day I was able to go and get some (if needed) after any meal. Not everyone knew to do that.

Crystal meth..I can't comprehend.
                              Aspirine/vitamins/supplements (which OCS will boot you for hiding)...I can TOTALLY see why someone thinks they need them.

Comment

Working...
                              X