X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Phase II

im currently in phase II of OCS ( 2nd drill in Phase II) and was wondering when does it go from smokings and chaos to mentoring and focus on learning?

Re: Traditional Phase II

When you're a lieutenant.

Comment

You said mentoring...
      heh heh...heh heh....

Comment

Originally posted by scjohnny View Post
        You said mentoring...
        heh heh...heh heh....
        Ok...this made laugh

Comment

LOL, So very true Mongoose.

I think it depends on the state. When I was in phase 3 I heard of some states that went right to work on the mentoring and training after phase 1. Others, it was like phase 1 all year long. Many states will keep it up for a few months and as classroom work gives way to field work that is when the shift happens to treating candidates like 3rd Lietutenants, as we were called.

The way I looked at every drill was, they have X amount of teaching, tests and classroom work that needs to get done within the 48hr drill. Drill ends at 1800 on Sunday, so there is only so much time they can actually smoke us and still accomplish their training mission.

But ultimately what Mongoose said is true. We still got smoked in phase 3, it was only about 20 minutes long, but it happened. Just roll with it.

Comment

Mentoring! Ha! Your mentoring will consist of "Great job, you'll be a good leader" or "You are not fit to be a leader" (or similar) after your leadership positions.

I left OCS surprised by how it left me with an overwhelming feeling of being unprepared for what I had just agreed to do. To me, it seemed like it was soley a test of endurance and volume. Cant brief well? Brief loud and assertively. Plan sucks? Brief it loud and assertively. Dont know how to make a decision? Pick a path that sorta makes sense and brief it loud and assertively.

Loud and assertive + Smoking + Memorization of the TLP's, 5 paragraph OPORD, and a silly song or poem or two = OCS.

It did a great job of getting the very, very, very bottom of the class who shouldnt be officers out of the running, taught me to be louder and a touch more decisive, but beyond that... I almost felt a bit of fear realizing THAT was supposed to have earned me a commission.

Comment

I agree although I'm not bitter about it at all. OCS is a methodical system which acts as a gauntlet to weed out the undesirables. It doesn't teach you HOW to be a lieutenant. It's certainly a dozen times more rigorous than LDAC, which borders on the silly. I'd wish I could say it will be over soon but your taking a traditional class. Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X