X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer progression/promotion opportunities

Ok, this question is extremely premature for me, because I don't even ship to BCT until 8/20. BUT, I like to plan ahead. I'm an 09S and I'm a little concerned about the opportunities of promotion as an officer. For starters, how long does it take to go from 2nd LT to (1st LT, then) Captain? In short, my concern is this. I would love to serve (at least) my 20 years, but is it true that if I get passed over twice for a promotion that I lose my commission? How does that process work? Please understand I have no intention to be anything less than squeaky clean and do everything as close to perfection as possible. I just wonder about these horror stories of officers being passed over again and again simply because of a numbers game of too many officers for too few slots. Can somebody give me the absolute truth on how this works and what I have to look forward to or work toward to make sure that I am promoted when I should be. It's less of a money thing for me, but more of a career thing.

Re: Officer progression/promotion opportunities

Originally posted by EdWelch View Post
    Is it true that if I get passed over twice for a promotion that I lose my commission?
    No. You won't lose your commission if you get passed for promotion. A commission as an officer in the United States Army is for life unless you resign it yourself.

Comment

If you are twice nonselected for promotion by a DA promotion board, your officer career is over. The vast majority of reasons for you to get nonselected are firmly within your control, and you have a great deal of influence over the rest of the reasons.

How to get nonselected by a DA promotion board:
      • Commit a crime
      • Do very poor work
      • Fail to obtain a bachelor's degree (necessary for promotion to captain)
      • Exceed fat standards
      • Fail APFT standards
      • Fail to meet military educational standards (BOLC for promotion to 1LT and CPT; this standard may tighten in the future)

As you can see, you pretty much get to decide whether you get selected or not.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        If you are twice nonselected for promotion by a DA promotion board, your officer career is over. The vast majority of reasons for you to get nonselected are firmly within your control, and you have a great deal of influence over the rest of the reasons.

How to get nonselected by a DA promotion board:
        • Commit a crime
        • Do very poor work
        • Fail to obtain a bachelor's degree (necessary for promotion to captain)
        • Exceed fat standards
        • Fail APFT standards
        • Fail to meet military educational standards (BOLC for promotion to 1LT and CPT; this standard may tighten in the future)

As you can see, you pretty much get to decide whether you get selected or not.
        I'm not sure if I follow on this point. Are you referring to AD 2LT promoting to 1LT without BOLC? I've seen that happen with AD officers but not as much with NG officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rescue View Post
          No. You won't lose your commission if you get passed for promotion. A commission as an officer in the United States Army is for life unless you resign it yourself.
          Do you think we are Supreme Court Justices?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            Do you think we are Supreme Court Justices?
            I guess I was a little confused. I was thinking more along the lines of holding a commmission is for life and serving as an officer is limited. I've read up on it since and have a better picture. Sorry for the false information/confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWelch View Post
              Ok, this question is extremely premature for me, because I don't even ship to BCT until 8/20. BUT, I like to plan ahead. I'm an 09S and I'm a little concerned about the opportunities of promotion as an officer. For starters, how long does it take to go from 2nd LT to (1st LT, then) Captain? In short, my concern is this. I would love to serve (at least) my 20 years, but is it true that if I get passed over twice for a promotion that I lose my commission? How does that process work? Please understand I have no intention to be anything less than squeaky clean and do everything as close to perfection as possible. I just wonder about these horror stories of officers being passed over again and again simply because of a numbers game of too many officers for too few slots. Can somebody give me the absolute truth on how this works and what I have to look forward to or work toward to make sure that I am promoted when I should be. It's less of a money thing for me, but more of a career thing.
              Ed, I appreciate your overwhelming eagerness in all your posts, although some of your peers probably want to strangle you.

I recognize that you're already planning your retirement ceremony as Chief National Guard Bureau, but just worry about BCT and OCS for now.

Generally speaking 2LT to 1LT is between 18months to 2 years. 1LT to Captain can range from 3 - 7 years depending on a variety of factors.

The percentage of the officers that are DA selected for promotion decreases as you increase in rank. The exact percentages change but speaking very generally, 1LT is near 100%; Captain is in the high 80s, O4 drops somewhere around 60%, O5 to 33%, COL a mere 5% and GO is less than a half of 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                Ed, I appreciate your overwhelming eagerness in all your posts, although some of your peers probably want to strangle you.

I recognize that you're already planning your retirement ceremony as Chief National Guard Bureau, but just worry about BCT and OCS for now.

Generally speaking 2LT to 1LT is between 18months to 2 years. 1LT to Captain can range from 3 - 7 years depending on a variety of factors.

The percentage of the officers that are DA selected for promotion decreases as you increase in rank. The exact percentages change but speaking very generally, 1LT is near 100%; Captain is in the high 80s, O4 drops somewhere around 60%, O5 to 33%, COL a mere 5% and GO is less than a half of 1%.
                LOL!!! Thank you for the information, sir. I totally understand. After next week, asking questions won't be an option, because I'll start experiencing some of the things I've been asking about. Hey, I'm a details guy...I'm sure by the time I get back in November, I'll have more questions. :-) At least I haven't bombarded everybody with the "which area should I choose" question. This site has been extremely helpful to me and I'm very appreciative of you and others who have taken the time to answer my questions. I think I'm done with questions for now...I think. Lol! Maybe later on in my career I can help answer some questions for once...

Comment

AD CWO list came out today. Interesting selection rates.

CWO, chaplain colonels selections announced

By Jim Tice - Staff writer
                  Posted : Friday Aug 10, 2012 10:54:27 EDT

Promotion selection lists containing the names of 1,313 active component chief warrant officers and 13 senior chaplains have been released by the Army.
                  The chief warrant officer lists were compiled by a selection board that met April 23-May 4, and the Chaplain Corps colonel roster by a board that met May 22-23.
                  Primary zone selection rates for chief warrant officer were:
                  Aviation
                  • CW5 — 21 percent (181 considered, 38 selected)
                  • CW4 — 60.6 percent (160 considered, 97 selected)
                  • CW3 — 58.4 percent (291 considered, 170 selected)
                  Technical Services
                  • CW5 — 26.1 percent (157 considered, 41 selected)
                  • CW4 — 80.6 percent (288 considered, 232 selected)
                  • CW3 — 74.5 percent (642 considered, 478 selected).
                  September promotions will complete the 2011 chief warrant officer lists. That means the new lists can be used for promotions beginning in October.
                  The chaplain board considered 105 eligible lieutenant colonels for promotion. The primary zone select rate was 37 percent (27 considered, 10 selected), and the above-zone selected rate was 6.1 percent (49 considered, three selected).
                  The board did not select any candidates from the below-zone category.
                  The new O-6 list must be confirmed by the Senate before the selected officers can be promoted.

See the names @ http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...lonels-081012/

Comment

Working...
                  X