Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1LT Promotion to CPT//APFT?

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
    It's because you need a slot to promote O-3 if you are a TDG along with a BA/BS and completion of BOLC. You don't need the same in the IRR. You would just need a BA/BS and completion of BOLC for the vast majority of officers.
    What is the "downside" to going into the IRR?

and...can transition to the IRR be done, say 2-3 years into a 6 X 2 service obligation?

Comment

Originally posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

and...can transition to the IRR be done, say 2-3 years into a 6 X 2 service obligation?
      You've already mentioned some of them.

1. Unpredictable deployments.
      2. Amost impossible to be funded for a Captain's Career Course.

The transition to the IRR can be done but it probably requires a conditional release. I've seen NG officers that have not completed their 6x2 commitment transfer to the USAR. It is my understanding that these officers need to first transfer to the IRR before they can be picked up by the USAR.

Comment

First, IRR is the slowest. You have to wait until your max TIG date for promotion vs IMA/TPU where you can be promoted into an open slot.

Down side is you loose some of the benefits, ie TRICARE, SGLI, CAC Card ect. You have to be self paced in your OES and pay attention more to your career. There are no longer involuntary mobs for officers.

IMHO, you've got several more years/OERs to go. I'd recommend you do everything you can to make yourself look better. I'd also recommend you knock out the CCC as well. It's hard to say what the board will be looking for.

Comment

Are you a 1LT already?

On a side note, we had a really bad day yesterday and the gag order was lifted. Once you know who we lost; you will be shocked. I saw two of the KIA the night before and even had a talk with one of them a week before.

This last link will hint on how we were affected. It was powerful to see all the E-9s carrying his casket during the ramp ceremony.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/08/ap-suicide-bomber-attacks-nato-troops-afghanistan-080812/

http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/...ookeericf.html

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 9th, 2012, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            Are you a 1LT already?

On a side note, we had a really bad day yesterday and the gag order was lifted. Once you know who we lost; you will be shocked. I saw two of the KIA the night before and even had a talk with one of them a week before.

This last link will hint on how we were affected. It was powerful to see all the E-9s carrying his casket during the ramp ceremony.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/08/ap-suicide-bomber-attacks-nato-troops-afghanistan-080812/

This is saddening news, and must be sobering for you, having interacted with them shortly before this tragedy. My thoughts are with their family and fellow Soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              This is saddening news, and must be sobering for you, having interacted with them shortly before this tragedy. My thoughts are with their family and fellow Soldiers.
              Thank you. When you lose the BDE CSM, it is very demoralizing. Not saying his life is worth more than the E-1 grunt on patrol. I was told that his wife wanted him to retire and he said he was just taking our brigade to Afghanistan this one last time and was going to retire when we returned. We hit less than 100 days left in one week. He liked going outside the wire on missions and seeing soldiers. I saw him when a FOB by the Pakistani border was hit real bad. He loved visiting the soldiers. He will be missed and I never saw a more wrecked BDE CDR.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you. When you lose the BDE CSM, it is very demoralizing. Not saying his life is worth more than the E-1 grunt on patrol. I was told that his wife wanted him to retire and he said he was just taking our brigade to Afghanistan this one last time and was going to retire when we returned. We hit less than 100 days left in one week. He liked going outside the mission and see soldiers. I saw him when a FOB by the Pakistani border was hit real bad. He loved visiting the soldiers. He will be missed and I never saw a more wrecked BDE CDR.
                Wow. I can only imagine. It just goes to show how real war really is. It's not just about carrying a big gun and the pride of saying "I went". Good people sacrifice their lives; it's real. Again, my thoughts are will you all.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                  Similarly, the same happened to me, twice, while serving in Afghanistan, back as a young PFC, in 2003.

Shortly after helping a SGM with his radio (I was a 25U...signal guy...)....he boarded a Chinook, along with several others.

It was shot down. No survivors. I recall one of the officers I knew at the time having to go out and take pictures/conduct an investigation. I saw pictures. They weren't pretty.

....another individual I had worked with...a husky, fearless, SSG....redeployed before my unit did.

He went overseas, to Iraq, as a contractor for Blackwater Security.

A Wikipedia entry details the events that ensued vividly:

"Along with squad members Jerko "Jerry" Zovko, Wesley Batalona and Michael Teague, Helveston was transporting food and other equipment in unarmored vehicles to the center of the city of Fallujah when the team was ambushed by insurgents. The four contractors were killed with grenades and small arms fire. Their bodies were dragged from their vehicles, beaten and set ablaze. Their burned and mutilated corpses were then dragged through the streets, and two of them hung from a bridge crossing the Euphrates."

Comment

P.s. Roger that...

(I can't seem to figure out how to make the "gold bar" turn "silver" in my avatar...)

Are you a 1LT already?

Comment

P.s. Roger that...

(I can't seem to figure out how to make the "gold bar" turn "silver" in my avatar...)

Can't you just change your avatar to 02 silver bar???

Comment

P.s. Roger that...

Please stay Active Duty. It's a better deal.

Comment

P.s. Roger that...

Did you get it figured out?

Comment

Similarly, the same happened to me, twice, while serving in Afghanistan, back as a young PFC, in 2003.

Shortly after helping a SGM with his radio (I was a 25U...signal guy...)....he boarded a Chinook, along with several others.

It was shot down. No survivors. I recall one of the officers I knew at the time having to go out and take pictures/conduct an investigation. I saw pictures. They weren't pretty.

....another individual I had worked with...a husky, fearless, SSG....redeployed before my unit did.

He went overseas, to Iraq, as a contractor for Blackwater Security.

A Wikipedia entry details the events that ensued vividly:

"Along with squad members Jerko "Jerry" Zovko, Wesley Batalona and Michael Teague, Helveston was transporting food and other equipment in unarmored vehicles to the center of the city of Fallujah when the team was ambushed by insurgents. The four contractors were killed with grenades and small arms fire. Their bodies were dragged from their vehicles, beaten and set ablaze. Their burned and mutilated corpses were then dragged through the streets, and two of them hung from a bridge crossing the Euphrates."
                            Yes, the investigation is happening and their names hit the DoD list today

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=15507

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=15505

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                              Please stay Active Duty. It's a better deal.
                              I've been "active", the past year, on account of being deployed.

I'll be heading back to the NG, just a state away from you, in PA...

Have you deployed yet? Always an interesting experience...

Comment

Yes, the investigation is happening and their names hit the DoD list today

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=15507

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=15505
                                RIP, Soldiers...

While I do have some more questions, I'll refrain out of respect and honor for where this thread has headed. It's not really appropriate for me to ask questions about career progression, when two of our own just passed. I won't do it immediately, but would you all mind if I began a new thread, referencing this thread, with any new questions? Or, should we just stay on this thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X