Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1LT Promotion to CPT//APFT?

Hello,

I have a quick question...

I have been a Soldier for 11 years now, with 9 of those years being enlisted, and 2 of those years being an officer.

Currently stationed in Kuwait, I failed a PT test back in January of this year--my first failure in those 11 years of service.

I understand the importance of being a leader and setting the standard as an officer. No excuses are made...it happened...I worked hard, rebounded, and have since passed my last PT test. As a result of the failed PT test, I did receive a referred OER.

Since that referred OER, I did receive another OER that, because I passed, was not referred--it was a very good OER, received as my BN's transportation officer.

Will a single referred OER, for a PT failure, impede me from ever making CPT?

I appreciate anyone's time and consideration,

Re: 1LT Promotion to CPT//APFT?

Originally posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post
    Hello,

I have a quick question...

I have been a Soldier for 11 years now, with 9 of those years being enlisted, and 2 of those years being an officer.

Currently stationed in Kuwait, I failed a PT test back in January of this year--my first failure in those 11 years of service.

I understand the importance of being a leader and setting the standard as an officer. No excuses are made...it happened...I worked hard, rebounded, and have since passed my last PT test. As a result of the failed PT test, I did receive a referred OER.

Since that referred OER, I did receive another OER that, because I passed, was not referred--it was a very good OER, received as my BN's transportation officer.

Will a single referred OER, for a PT failure, impede me from ever making CPT?

I appreciate anyone's time and consideration,
    There are plenty of outstanding Officers on here that can give you their opinions based on their experience. I would think, though, that one non-stellar review won't hold you back; especially if you came back and passed the test. Did you take it while overseas? It's not an excuse, but let's face it. When you're deployed, the conditions can be different than what you're use to back at home.

Comment

This has all complicated your situation. I have two recommendations. First, rededicate yourself to a career of exemplary performance. Second, consider finishing your career as an NCO if you are not selected for promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        This has all complicated your situation. I have two recommendations. First, rededicate yourself to a career of exemplary performance. Second, consider finishing your career as an NCO if you are not selected for promotion.
        I appreciate your response, Sir.

My subsequent OER, I believe, is evidence of this rededication. I haven't made any excuses, and I won't.

How many 'chances' do I have to make Captain? For an officer, one referred OER, over PT, despite stellar subsequent ones, is a career killer?

Comment

This is the AD list for CPT that appeared on Army Times yesterday

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...ounced-080712w

Today, I congratulated an 1LT in my section that made the list. There is another 1LT that resides near my quarters who was recently relieved (5 months ago) from a staff position and West Point grad but was in some hot water before that. Hasn't failed a PT test but his name was not on the list. I even asked him when he was going to pick up Captain and he replied "Honestly, I do not know".

Total soldier concept.

Comment

I love this situation for a referred OER

http://www.justanswer.com/military-l...-personal.html

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              This is the AD list for CPT that appeared on Army Times yesterday

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...ounced-080712w

Today, I congratulated an 1LT in my section that made the list. There is another 1LT that resides near my quarters who was recently relieved (5 months ago) from a staff position and West Point grad but was in some hot water before that. Hasn't failed a PT test but his name was not on the list. I even asked him when he was going to pick up Captain and he replied "Honestly, I do not know".

Total soldier concept.
              Not sure if you can expand...maybe you can't expand on the NATURE of the "hot water" he was in...but, did he ultimately received something like an Article 15 or a P-fiche filed GOMOR?

Comment

LT,

I do not know the specifics and even though I am active duty, I never witnessed an officer get "locked up" so many times in public as much as I have seen him. Maybe because the OIC and XO around him, having one-way conversations are Ranger Tab (he is not) and have little tolerance lol. I saw that, got up and walked out of the TOC.

And of course, I would not know what his prior OERs were but if he did not get selected; then it is obvious that something was placed into his file.

Comment

To me, it's interesting that he went from having two exemplary OERs, to having a "Below Center of Mass - Do Not Retain"...

When that OER was referred to him, I hope he took the time and made the effort to explain his side of the story. I'd also bring light to the fact that I had "two exemplary OERs, only to have a "Below Center of Mass--Do Not Retain" when the Deputy had made his way into my (his) rating chain...

Comment

I wonder what the rest of the stroy was....

OP, I wouldn't give up your commission for one bad OER. If for some reason you weren't selected on your first look, consider going into the IRR. There you can get promoted and either re-enter the NG or USAR.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                      I wonder what the rest of the stroy was....

OP, I wouldn't give up your commission for one bad OER. If for some reason you weren't selected on your first look, consider going into the IRR. There you can get promoted and either re-enter the NG or USAR.
                      Thanks, Sir.

I definitely don't want to give up my commission...I love the Army (I've been in it for a good 11+ years now).

I know that my service obligation was, I believe, a 6 X 2...with those last 2 years being IRR. So, I could, somehow, expedite the process of going into the IRR earlier? I don't mean to make this sound like a loophole for sub-par officers to get promoted to Captain...but, does the IRR offer a better chance of being promoted, in the event of a bad OER?

And, honestly, my job performance has been great.

Based on my research, it looks like a letter to the board President may be in order....I've begun drafting it already, although I know I'll have an additional 1-2 OERs before that time comes up anyway....

Comment

You'll face a DA promotion board, and if not selected, you'll face the board again a year later. If not selected the second time, your officer career is over. You could still enlist as an E5, and continue your career in that manner.

Unless you had ten years of service as a commissioned officer, you would not retire as an officer, but at your highest enlisted grade.

Comment

Thanks, Sir.

I definitely don't want to give up my commission...I love the Army (I've been in it for a good 11+ years now).

I know that my service obligation was, I believe, a 6 X 2...with those last 2 years being IRR. So, I could, somehow, expedite the process of going into the IRR earlier? I don't mean to make this sound like a loophole for sub-par officers to get promoted to Captain...but, does the IRR offer a better chance of being promoted, in the event of a bad OER?

And, honestly, my job performance has been great.

Based on my research, it looks like a letter to the board President may be in order....I've begun drafting it already, although I know I'll have an additional 1-2 OERs before that time comes up anyway....
                          From anecdotal evidence, absolutely. In fact, those have gone this route from the NJ ARNG have been getting promoted earlier than their much superior rated peers who remained in active drilling status with the NJ ARNG.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                            From anecdotal evidence, absolutely. In fact, those have gone this route from the NJ ARNG have been getting promoted earlier than their much superior rated peers who remained in active drilling status with the NJ ARNG.
                            This is interesting.

WHY do you think this is?

Do you think its because the IRR typically holds a greater chance of deployment (as far as I understand...), so, because not many people do it...those who are actually willing to do it have this benefit?

How does this work with the 6 X 2 obligation? Can an officer go into the IRR, even if they are 2-3 years into their service obligation?

Comment

This is interesting.

WHY do you think this is?

Do you think its because the IRR typically holds a greater chance of deployment (as far as I understand...), so, because not many people do it...those who are actually willing to do it have this benefit?

How does this work with the 6 X 2 obligation? Can an officer go into the IRR, even if they are 2-3 years into their service obligation?
                              It's because you need a slot to promote O-3 if you are a TDG along with a BA/BS and completion of BOLC. You don't need the same in the IRR. You would just need a BA/BS and completion of BOLC for the vast majority of officers.

Comment

Working...
                              X