X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOLC and being injured

Just looking to get some opinions. I took the plunge from the enlisted side of things and recently commissioned...and then ended up seriously injuring myself while in the field. Without going into too much detail, I've been walking only for about the last month and a half and am still not able to run. Now, my doctor believes I should be back to 100% by the time my BOLC date comes up in a few months, but in the circumstance that this doesn't happen, my case manager gave me two options. 1) Push back my BOLC date, which I was really lucky to get one so soon for National Guard, to something much later, probably postponing my BOLC by an entire year(year and a half total from my commissioning) and missing out on my unit's deployment. 2) Go on permanent profile so I can still attend training and do an alternate aerobic PT event.

The issue I see with 2 is I feel it would reflect very poorly on me at BOLC and I imagine it would disqualify me from getting academic honors(a certain PT threshold is required). The issue I've been told with 1 from certain leadership individuals is that pushing it back because of medical reasons and also having a temporary profile during this could seriously harm my career and lead to "Fitness to Serve" boards.

Just interested in what people in the know think.

Re: BOLC and being injured

Originally posted by Letalis View Post
    The issue I see with 2 is I feel it would reflect very poorly on me at BOLC and I imagine it would disqualify me from getting academic honors(a certain PT threshold is required).
    Just asking, how much does this really matter in the long run of your career? It would seem that facing a "fitness to serve" board would be worse than just not getting academic honors doesn't it?

Comment

Just looking to get some opinions. I took the plunge from the enlisted side of things and recently commissioned...and then ended up seriously injuring myself while in the field. Without going into too much detail, I've been walking only for about the last month and a half and am still not able to run. Now, my doctor believes I should be back to 100% by the time my BOLC date comes up in a few months, but in the circumstance that this doesn't happen, my case manager gave me two options. 1) Push back my BOLC date, which I was really lucky to get one so soon for National Guard, to something much later, probably postponing my BOLC by an entire year(year and a half total from my commissioning) and missing out on my unit's deployment. 2) Go on permanent profile so I can still attend training and do an alternate aerobic PT event.

The issue I see with 2 is I feel it would reflect very poorly on me at BOLC and I imagine it would disqualify me from getting academic honors(a certain PT threshold is required). The issue I've been told with 1 from certain leadership individuals is that pushing it back because of medical reasons and also having a temporary profile during this could seriously harm my career and lead to "Fitness to Serve" boards.

Just interested in what people in the know think.
      I sincerely hope the BOLC you speak of is not the Infantry Basic Officer's Leader's Course. Showing up to IBOLC with a permanent profile is a good way to qualify yourself for the honor of being one of the worst ranked lieutenants in your platoon.

P.S. The devil is in the details. Let us know how you injured yourself.
      Last edited by Polo08816; August 5th, 2012, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Field Artillery BOLC, actually.

It was one of those really stupid and bizarre "Are you serious?!" injuries. I ended up misstepping and landing into a deep hole I didn't know was there and nearly tearing all three of the outer ligaments of my ankle in half. My doctor initially held up the possibility of needing surgery, but since I'm progressing in my rehab well enough, he's saying it's more likely than not that I won't need surgery.

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        Just asking, how much does this really matter in the long run of your career? It would seem that facing a "fitness to serve" board would be worse than just not getting academic honors doesn't it?
        Yeah, I understand the point. I just wonder if I'm being given the straight story though.
        Last edited by Letalis; August 5th, 2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Field Artillery BOLC, actually.

It was one of those really stupid and bizarre "Are you serious?!" injuries. I ended up misstepping and landing into a deep hole I didn't know was there, something I'd done many times before without consequence, and nearly tearing all three of the outer ligaments of my ankle in half. My doctor initially held up the possibility of needing surgery, but since I'm progressing in my rehab well enough, he's saying it's more likely than not that I won't need surgery.
          I've never had an injury of that seriousness but I imagine those take quite a long time to heal from. I would recommend you push your BOLC date back to be 100% healed. There's no guarantee that your state is going to deploy; many states have had their deployments canceled.

Comment

Working...
          X