X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDT Meal Payment?

Why do m-day officers pay for meals during an IDT weekend? I had the question asked of me recently and have no idea why other than, "that's just the way it is."

Re: IDT Meal Payment?

Becuase its in the regs. Same as officers buy thier own uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      Becuase its in the regs. Same as officers buy thier own uniforms.
      Thanks, RedLeg...is this a case of stupid questions getting stupid answers?

Comment

It is codified in DoD Financial Management Regulation 7000.14-R; although I have not been able to track down a corresponding US Code to further solidify it.

The historical "separation" between Officers and Enlistedmen is muddied in a varied quagmire much better answered by someone more schooled in military history but has ultimately chiseled out the "way things are today". Please don't quote me, (because I'm officially now just talking out my a$$), but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it stemmed from the fact that Officers were granted commissions by the National Monarch or Executive Official, and the ranks were essentially conscripted into service. Perhaps one of the only "payments" soldiers and sailors recieved was meger rations. I'd be interested in hearing a better historical perspective.

Comment

Because historically, the enlisted counts are never right, and they need officers to fill in the difference when meals are catered so the HHD Commander doesn't have to pay out of their pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
            Why do m-day officers pay for meals during an IDT weekend? I had the question asked of me recently and have no idea why other than, "that's just the way it is."
            If you're asking why "should" m-day officers pay for meals during an IDT, it's "just the way it is".

If you're asking why "do" m-day officers pay for meals during an IDT, then my answer is I've rarely seen officers pay for their meals during IDT. But then again, nearly 11 of 12 IDTs are spent in the field where accountability is far looser. Many times the support companies for an infantry battalion will deliver the mermites to whatever site the individual company is training at and it's up to the company to just fill out the meal roster and submit it to the support company.

Comment

Working...
            X