X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training With OCS Cadets At My Local RTI

I have been told that for the next 5 months I will drill at my state’s RTI (where they have the traditional OCS candidates training) to give me some experience in the OCS environment and have the best opportunity for success when I attend AOCS in Alabama in January.

I am told that it is not only the traditional recruits who will be there, at my next drill in August, will be starting their Phase II training, but that there will also be recycles from McClellan and others who have only just enrolled in the training. I was also told that I will do everything the other recruits do except the testing and I will not be evaluated on anything.

I am very excited as I have anxious to get out of the RSP environment and into one that has more relevant training for this point in my training process, but I am curious of anyone else has done this before OR if anyone who went the traditional route can go into further detail on what occurs during Phase II; I will be there the next 5 months (drill weekends).

I was also told that even though I will take a PT test every Friday, I am not ‘required’ to pass the APFT until day 1 of Phase 0 (I have just come off a 5+ month profile for a torn ligament). I will, however, PT with them as expected and this is fine as I am good to go physically now, just trying to get my PT numbers back up.

If anyone has anything they can add I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Training With OCS Cadets At My Local RTI

In NJ, everyone has to do this. I did 5 or 6 months of phase 0 drills with the guys who were waiting to go to phase 1 traditional, but I wound up going to AOCS (MD, PA, AL) during the summer.

Personally, I thought it was a huge waste of time and I would have rather spent those last few months with my old unit. Even the land navigation was pretty useless (if you've ever tried to land nav at Fort Dix, you know what I mean; and if you haven't, be glad).

If I were you, I wouldn't count on anything that you've been told being true. You should operate under the assumption that you are being watched every second you are there, and that your orders for AOCS could be revoked at any time because of a cadre member's completely arbitrary reasoning.

Bottom line: if there are opportunities to learn, take advantage of them. But if it feels stupid...it probably is.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
      In NJ, everyone has to do this. I did 5 or 6 months of phase 0 drills with the guys who were waiting to go to phase 1 traditional, but I wound up going to AOCS (MD, PA, AL) during the summer.

Personally, I thought it was a huge waste of time and I would have rather spent those last few months with my old unit. Even the land navigation was pretty useless (if you've ever tried to land nav at Fort Dix, you know what I mean; and if you haven't, be glad).

If I were you, I wouldn't count on anything that you've been told being true. You should operate under the assumption that you are being watched every second you are there, and that your orders for AOCS could be revoked at any time because of a cadre member's completely arbitrary reasoning.

Bottom line: if there are opportunities to learn, take advantage of them. But if it feels stupid...it probably is.
      Unfortunately, I have never had the option to go to a unit to drill. I went straight back to RSP after BCT.

The person who 'told' me all of this is one of the TAC who is a friend of my husbands; he is also one of the TAC for AMA. He said that the cadets there are 'all done' with land navigation so it won't be covered at all. I am not concerend about being watched; it is what it is.

At this point it is the lesser of two evils compard to RSP with new recruits and a weekend full of pre-shippers 'training'.

I will take it for what it is but make the best of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
        I will take it for what it is but make the best of it.
        That's about the best COA I can think of.

If I seem jaded, it's because NJ has decided that OCS (cadre slots) is a good place to dump various rejects who were unsuccessful in real units (with certain, albeit few, exceptions). Obviously, this has negatively affected the program -- I encourage my soldiers with aspirations of officership to pursue ROTC rather than OCS. Hopefully your state has more sensible policies and thus a more professional OCS cadre.
        Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; July 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

That's about the best COA I can think of.

If I seem jaded, it's because NJ has decided that OCS is a good place to dump various rejects who were unsuccessful in real units (with certain, albeit few, exceptions). Obviously, this has negatively affected the program -- I encourage my soldiers with aspirations of officership to pursue ROTC rather than OCS. Hopefully your state has more sensible policies and thus a more professional OCS cadre.
          But wouldn't rejects just wash out?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
            But wouldn't rejects just wash out?
            I was referring to the OCS cadre, not the candidates.

Comment

I was referring to the OCS cadre, not the candidates.
              Oh...LOL OK, I understand now.

Comment

Working...
              X