X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OfficerVacancies

I am a 09S, I am preparing to attend BCT and FOCS at Fort Benning.
    Last edited by WVANG44; July 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM.

Re: OfficerVacancies

Every state in the union has MI Officers in some capacity. They may not have an MI Battalion, but certainly there are at least a handfull of S-2 slots (for example) just about everywhere. Did WV already dole out a branch assignment to you? You're on someone's unit manning roster somewhere. Talk to your OSM. You really should attend BOLC prior to messing with an IST.

Comment

There's also a unit finder on the National Guard website. That might help you get an idea of what's out there. Here's a direct link: http://bit.ly/LUFvOS

Comment

MI needs more captains than lieutenants. Serve in a combat arms branch as a lieutenant, then seek an MI captain slot later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          MI needs more captains than lieutenants. Serve in a combat arms branch as a lieutenant, then seek an MI captain slot later in life.
          But there's not more MAJ then CPTs so you're career is going to stall. Plus you probably won't be able to get a company command so you're going to struggle with promotion. A MI CPT is probably sitting on a BN/BDE staff doing physical security and security clearances, not anything really fun.

In the end MI isn't cool.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
            But there's not more MAJ then CPTs so you're career is going to stall. Plus you probably won't be able to get a company command so you're going to struggle with promotion. A MI CPT is probably sitting on a BN/BDE staff doing physical security and security clearances, not anything really fun.

In our BN, an MI CPT is pawned off as the S-3's minion.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post

That's another reason why having a combat arms as a first branch will help that individual.

Regarding company command: Battalion commanders often forget that any basic branch officer can command the HQ company. It may be coded Infantry, Engineer, Artillery, etc. on the manning document, but the NGR 600-100 allows any basic branch officer to command the HHC/HHB/HHD/HHT.

Comment

That's another reason why having a combat arms as a first branch will help that individual.

Regarding company command: Battalion commanders often forget that any basic branch officer can command the HQ company. It may be coded Infantry, Engineer, Artillery, etc. on the manning document, but the NGR 600-100 allows any basic branch officer to command the HHC/HHB/HHD/HHT.
                I have also heard that it is preferable to give HHC command to a more experience/senior CPT.

Comment

I appreciate all of your responses and help

Comment

It still doesn't help thier career when they won't the next S3 or XO.

After being a HHD commander and line company commander, the HHD commander is a check the box for OER purposes. IMHO, the HHD commander is really nothing more then a support platoon leader who's mission is at the whim of the brigade/battalion commander, XO and S3. Just look at the rating scheme. The HHD commander rates only those in the HQ section.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                      I have also heard that it is preferable to give HHC command to a more experience/senior CPT.
                      News to me; definitely not what my BN did. Stuck a senior LT in that slot to go forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X