X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAC/NOS Conference - What to expect?

As a company commander, what should I expect at the JAC/NOS conference coming up?

Re: JAC/NOS Conference - What to expect?

I'm not familiar with this conference. Can you explain what it is?

Comment

"They" (ngb, big Army, ??) bring in units that are sourced. Not really sure what all they cover so I figured I'd ask here.

Comment

Notice of Sourcing.

NOS, is where you lay out your Road to War plan. Basically you lay out every major event for next year. This includes, SRPs, RTC dates, validation exercise, mob station, what will be trained at RTC/mob station and what you'll do at home station. You also have a chance to air personnel and equipment shortages. You need to be very familiar with your unit and be ready to commit to a certain time lines.

You should get some guidance from higher on both of these. I've not been to a JAC conference.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
          Notice of Sourcing.

NOS, is where you lay out your Road to War plan. Basically you lay out every major event for next year. This includes, SRPs, RTC dates, validation exercise, mob station, what will be trained at RTC/mob station and what you'll do at home station. You also have a chance to air personnel and equipment shortages. You need to be very familiar with your unit and be ready to commit to a certain time lines.

You should get some guidance from higher on both of these. I've not been to a JAC conference.
          Many thanks.

I'm thinking that the ODT mission I laid on for TY13 is likely to get pulled because of the impact to our training timeline prior to MOB....

Comment

It's almost like a big auction, or NFL draft. Go there with some goals in mind, e.g., a company-sized three-week overseas AT in Europe, or one section's TDY to the Arab world, or a reciprocal exchange with a similar unit in the UK. Have some goals, have priorities, and be willing to compromise.

Comment

Go there being realistic as well. Realize you only have 48 UTA's and 29 days of AT and a whole lot of training to get done. Also keep in mind some of these events must happen within a certain amount of days from your actual mob date, ie your SRP and validation exercise. You might get some extra ADT funds but don't count on it.

When I say you have to know your company, I mean you have to know it. Know where you rate your company in its METL tasks and how you can get it to your goals. Know your personal shortages and equipment shortages. I covered down on a det and it was an eye opening experience.

An OCONUS AT may sound cool, but 2-3 days traveling each way really will limit what you can do.

Comment

LTC Ritchie - Thank you.

RL - Good copy on all, thanks.

Planning on taking my RNCO, 1SG, and Supply SGT with me. We'll have BN reps from the S3, S1, and S4 as well. I'm pretty excited to go, truth be told. I've been grinding away at AT the last week and the thought of going back over has fired me up again.

Comment

I, too, appreciate you guys breaking that down. There's something new to be learned every day!

Comment

Finished up pretty quickly this week. It was kind of like being at a giant USR. Best advice I can give to you guys is to bust your ass on the slides prior to getting down here so you can minimize the amount of re-work required to get out of here. It was a first-come, first-served model so get there early and make sure you get your required briefings so you can get into other parts of the conference quickly. The biggest bottleneck was waiting to talk to the MOB Station about training. Yesterday was the first day of the NOS+60 and at 1700 when my slides were approved, we were the second unit to complete out of 38 in attendance.

Having full-timers and knowledgeable BN staff (S3, S4, S1) made us money as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X