X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active duty office to NG officer

i am an active duty Field Artillery officer. is it possible to switch to NG and become an Aviation officer once my active service obligation is finished?

Re: Active duty office to NG officer

Originally posted by LHTBF1107 View Post
    i am an active duty Field Artillery officer. is it possible to switch to NG and become an Aviation officer once my active service obligation is finished?
    What rank are you? It is possible but some states (most actually) are going to frown on sending a Senior Captain or above to flight school. You most likely will have to revert to the W ranks to attend training, then if there are slots for O's later on you can revert back again if you wish. I had a Major in my last unit who went from CPT to CW2 to CW3 to CPT to MAJ. That stuff is a lot more common in the Guard then you would see in the Active Army.

Comment

The SSG's take is pretty accurate. Assuming on Active Duty, you are an O3, likely already done with CCC at the end of your service obligation it may be difficult to find you an aviation unit that wants to spend nearly 2 years (and the money to do it) sending a senior company grade officer to flight school. Getting a Warrant packet completed to do that would be much more pallitable, and frankly you would fly a lot more. Of course, if you decide to stay FA transfering to the Guard is easy breezy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        The SSG's take is pretty accurate.
        Would you expect anything less?

Comment

Ambulance chaser!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I didnt even know it was possible to go warrant but ill have to check into it.

Comment

Originally posted by LHTBF1107 View Post
              Thanks for the info guys. I didnt even know it was possible to go warrant but ill have to check into it.
              Just so you know, you won't actually have to go to warrant officer school. If they accept you into the flight program, whatever state you have joined will just cut a "reduction" order and appoint you most likely, to W2, and then send you to Rucker for flight training.
              Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; July 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

BLUF: Yes it's possible but you need to work with an aviation unit as they have to endorse your packet for flight school and a packet for being a warrant officer.

FA in the NG isn't near as big as it once was....

Comment

Working...
                X