Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options in the National Guard?/JAG aspirations?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Options in the National Guard?/JAG aspirations?

Its been a while for this thread, but in case you are still here: I served as a Marine JAG and my wife is applying for Army Reserve JAG. I am now in the Navy Reserve as an Intel officer. As someone pointed out, a number of your questions have been addressed. I can tell you some pointed differences about USMC JAG. The main difference is the training. Marine JAGS get the same training as any other Marine officer and it is very, very tough. I'm don't know what kind of athlete you are, but I was a pretty good athlete. I shipped out to OCS plc at 162 and 6 weeks later I was 132 and my three mile run time went from 1910 to 1756. I wasn't even close to being the fastest. I just can't overstate how different it is from the army and airforce and navy programs. Its 6 weeks x2 of PT, drill, and forced marching. That being said, I was very proud of finishing.

On the other hand: Because the program is so grueling, there are not nearly so many people who want to do it. So there is much less competition. Also, if you do get accepted into PLC law, graduate OCS and get commissioned upon getting your college degree, you will walk into your first day of law school an officer of Marines who already has a guaranteed job. The Marines WILL hold your spot, and will even give you some short ADT as a 2lt during the summers to learn some stuff and put some green in your pocket.

I would put aside any thoughts of getting a Marine commission and then simply transferring to the Army. First of all, unless you know the SecDef personally, it just ain't gonna happen. Secondly, once you put on that eagle globe and anchor, your whole mentality is going to change. Maybe if you get out and are looking for a Reserve billet you might do it, but thats putting the cart before the horse.

If I were in your position I might consider that the Marines give you a chance to take a few bites without buying the whole meal. You can enroll in PLC now and get paid to go to OCS and see if the USMC is for you. If you fail OCS or drop...thats that. If you pass both parts of OCS but decide the Marines are insane and you don't want to go through TBS you just don't accept the commission when you graduate college and thats, that. You can always try all the other services when you get to law school. By the way, if you are a junior they might want to just send you to the 10 week OCC class rather than the 2x 6 week PLC program. The two programs are essentially the same thing, one is just for lower classmen. Also, if you do not have a law school acceptance letter in hand, they will not enroll you in law, but you can enroll in ground and switch to law once you get admitted to a law school (its not a bait-and-switch, I did it that way). Besides you might decide you like running 10 miles and shooting things up so much you just keep the ground contract, or if all else fails and for some reason you don't get into law school, hey you got a job.

Again, all the services have very fine law programs and great careers. The competition is brutal though because they get so many applications from so many very good students. The Marines offer a different kind of challenge. Do not go to Marine OCS in anything but tiptop shape or I promise you will rue the day you were born.

No matter what, good luck.

Comment

^ Public service announcement brought to you by the USMC.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        All that nonsense did was hurt my USMC brothers hand. No more dinosaur threads please.

Mr Loki...another suggestion. After "x" amount of time, thread automatically dies.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          All that nonsense did was hurt my USMC brothers hand. No more dinosaur threads please.

Mr Loki...another suggestion. After "x" amount of time, thread automatically dies.
          To be honest, I prefer people post questions in existing threads even if they are old. It's a greater chance for that particular thread to be updated and changes/trends be tracked. For someone that executes due diligence in research, they may find all the answers in one thread as opposed to trying to piecemeal a bunch of threads together over a longer period of time. The only issue is that sometimes long threads go off-topic.

Unfortunately, you will always have those Category 4 individuals that fail to use the search function. There is no hope for those individuals.

Comment

6 months isn't too terrible. Besides, at least it was good info even if it was a sales pitch for the Marines. In all, it actually sounds like a really good option.

Comment

Every time someone describes USMC training to me I hear these outrageously fast three-mile-run times; they are almost always below 18 minutes. None of the SF or Ranger qualified soldiers I know are anywhere near that fast. And furthermore, not a single freaking one of the former USMC guys I've seen in the Guard are even remotely close to those times either. Zero; not one of them -- quite a few fail the APFT regularly and miserably. But yet, everyone at Marine OCS, TBS, or SOI is covering three miles in about 17:30. I call bull$hit.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                Every time someone describes USMC training to me I hear these outrageously fast three-mile-run times; they are almost always below 18 minutes. None of the SF or Ranger qualified soldiers I know are anywhere near that fast. And furthermore, not a single freaking one of the former USMC guys I've seen in the Guard are even remotely close to those times either. Zero; not one of them -- quite a few fail the APFT regularly and miserably. But yet, everyone at Marine OCS, TBS, or SOI is covering three miles in about 17:30. I call bull$hit.
                I know a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy that can run the 3 mile in under 18 minutes.

Comment

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy that can run the 3 mile in under 18 minutes.
                  I know a SGT in the 1/114 who can run 10 miles in under 50 minutes. His APFT run is in the 9s. And he was never a Marine.

On the other hand, he was a professional runner for Nike.

Comment

I know a SGT in the 1/114 who can run 10 miles in under 50 minutes. His APFT run is in the 9s. And he was never a Marine.

On the other hand, he was a professional runner for Nike.
                    This individual you speak of is in the graduation picture in my Light Leaders Course thread.

Comment

I gotta admit that I have heard this many times over as well and I have yet to see anybody live up to the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                        I gotta admit that I have heard this many times over as well and I have yet to see anybody live up to the hype.
                        I know what the problem is. They're mistaking kilometers for miles.

Comment

I know what the problem is. They're mistaking kilometers for miles.
                          It wouldn't be the first time lol! I've heard many Soldiers and Marines tell me they have done 25 mile ruck marches while on active duty, and they speak of it like it was no big thing. I've done 15 mile ruck marches before while training on my own and it takes me just under 4 hours. I imagine a 25 mile ruck march would take me around 7-8 hours to complete and thats if my feet can even hold up for that kind of mileage. I don't see many people being in the physical shape required to complete a 25 miler, let alone make an entire company attempt it.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                            It wouldn't be the first time lol! I've heard many Soldiers and Marines tell me they have done 25 mile ruck marches while on active duty, and they speak of it like it was no big thing. I've done 15 mile ruck marches before while training on my own and it takes me just under 4 hours. I imagine a 25 mile ruck march would take me around 7-8 hours to complete and thats if my feet can even hold up for that kind of mileage. I don't see many people being in the physical shape required to complete a 25 miler, let alone make an entire company attempt it.
                            Furthermore, if you intend to cover 25 miles without resupply, you are going to need to carry at least two gallons of water even in cool weather. You're also going to want some kind of easily consumed food available in your pockets since you'll be ripping through calories very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                            X