Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Employment

Dear Gentlemen, Ladies,

I have another question, the answer to which I was unable to locate by using the search feature here. A concern has just surfaced for me after reading various posts on the forum, and that is, will I be able to pursue an actual career outside of my ARNG responsibilities? What I mean by that is, will it be feasible to maintain a civilian career for 20+ years and be an ARNG Officer.

The posts I read which caused me to question this, referred to promotion as an Officer. Is it accurate to assume that in order for a young and upcoming junior officer to make company or field grade, that they must relocate and re-class? If this is correct, this presents a problem. If I were to begin a career with a civilian employer, they are patient with my training and deployments, yet the ARNG tells me that in order to make Major, I have to move across my state and/or change my specialty and re-class, I just lost my job.

If anyone has a moment to spare, could you please relate some personal experience as to what sort of employment you hold concurrently with your commission? Have you had to change civilian career fields in order to promote ? How often have you had to relocate ? and lastly, can you stay where you are at and wait for a higher pay grade slot to open up, or if you pass up the opportunity to promote somewhere else, will they discharge you ?

I dearly wish to serve my country in a leadership role, preferably as an ARNG Officer, but I may not be able to commit to that if I have to keep changing civilian careers every 4+ years in order to get a promotion. It is one thing to move from place to place on active duty, but if I had to move while in the ARNG, remain unemployed while looking for work to provide for my family, and then learn a whole new skill set, etc, I do not know how practical that would be.

V/R
    Chris Bryant.

Re: Civilian Employment

Time is going to be your biggest conflict with being an officer. As you gain rank, you need to spend more and more time doing your job as an officer which conflicts with your civlian job.

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply sir, extra time wont be an issue for me, just relocation.

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      Time is going to be your biggest conflict with being an officer. As you gain rank, you need to spend more and more time doing your job as an officer which conflicts with your civlian job.

Comment

Originally posted by CSBryant View Post
        Dear Gentlemen, Ladies,

I have another question, the answer to which I was unable to locate by using the search feature here. A concern has just surfaced for me after reading various posts on the forum, and that is, will I be able to pursue an actual career outside of my ARNG responsibilities? What I mean by that is, will it be feasible to maintain a civilian career for 20+ years and be an ARNG Officer.

The posts I read which caused me to question this, referred to promotion as an Officer. Is it accurate to assume that in order for a young and upcoming junior officer to make company or field grade, that they must relocate and re-class? If this is correct, this presents a problem. If I were to begin a career with a civilian employer, they are patient with my training and deployments, yet the ARNG tells me that in order to make Major, I have to move across my state and/or change my specialty and re-class, I just lost my job.

If anyone has a moment to spare, could you please relate some personal experience as to what sort of employment you hold concurrently with your commission? Have you had to change civilian career fields in order to promote ? How often have you had to relocate ? and lastly, can you stay where you are at and wait for a higher pay grade slot to open up, or if you pass up the opportunity to promote somewhere else, will they discharge you ?

I dearly wish to serve my country in a leadership role, preferably as an ARNG Officer, but I may not be able to commit to that if I have to keep changing civilian careers every 4+ years in order to get a promotion. It is one thing to move from place to place on active duty, but if I had to move while in the ARNG, remain unemployed while looking for work to provide for my family, and then learn a whole new skill set, etc, I do not know how practical that would be.

V/R
        Chris Bryant.
        Too easy. Don't submit your packet for promotion.

Your family and civilian career come first. Your part time commitment to the Guard does not put food on the table. This does not mean that you neglect your duties of your position that you chose to accept.

Comment

Thank you sir, that is exactly how I feel. So it is possible to pass over for a promotion and not be discharged, I am certain that I would enjoy making rank eventually, but not at the expense of the job which puts food on the table, as you put it.

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          Too easy. Don't submit your packet for promotion.

Your family and civilian career come first. Your part time commitment to the Guard does not put food on the table. This does not mean that you neglect your duties of your position that you chose to accept.

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply sir, extra time wont be an issue for me, just relocation.
            Relocation? Crazy talk. You have to be willing to travel, but you won't be required to relocate every time you get a promotion. Only you know what your tolerance is for traveling for drill. I live 3 hours from the armory. *****, but it's part of the job and I'm not willing to relocate from my home of record/job just to be closer to a unit I know I'm only going to be with a few years.

Comment

Thank you sir, that is exactly how I feel. So it is possible to pass over for a promotion and not be discharged, I am certain that I would enjoy making rank eventually, but not at the expense of the job which puts food on the table, as you put it.
              In short, yes you can. However, there's many steps in the process before that happens. I would recommend you take a look at AR 135-155, Chapter 4, Section !V and V. Here's what it says:

"c. After two failures of selection for promotion, officers in the grades of CW2, CW3, 1LT, CPT, and MAJ will be
              removed from active status per paragraph 4-33 unless placed on a promotion list or selectively continued or retained
              under any other provision of law."

Hope this helps!

Comment

Except there's no packet you submit. You're automatically boarded after a certian number of years of Time in Grade/Time in Service. You can attempt to slow your career by the positions you take but that also runs the risk of not ever getting promoted.

Comment

Working...
                X