Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander's Request for Medical Waiver?

By way of my full time staff, a recruiter has asked for my signature for a new enlistee that was disqualified at MEPs in 2011 due to a kidney stone. The medical documentation indicates the doctor believes this was a one time event and not indicative of any sort of kidney disease in the recruit.

Why is a recruiter asking me (as the CO) to request a waiver? Are there not channels for getting this kid a waiver outside of the chain of command so he can be vetted through MEPs and the enlistment process?

I don't know this kid so I'm a little reluctant to request a waiver on his behalf. Seems like there should be a system in place for this kid to resubmit his enlistment packet without asking a commander to request a waiver.

Re: Commander's Request for Medical Waiver?

Sir,

Ultimately when your Readiness NCO gives a Recruiter a paragraph and line number from your UMR to "pencil" an applicant in, you become his de facto Commander "to be" so to speak. As a Commander, the Recruiter is your tool to seek out qualified applicants and bring them into your unit. Commanders at all levels are the ultimate requesters and decision makers regarding waivers. What level of the command structure a waiver stops at is based on the severity or significance of the waiver. We normally talk about TAG waivers, or NGB waivers in common parlance.

In your last sentence you said, "I dont' know this kid so...." Some Commanders REQUIRE that applicants have a face to face interview with each person they accept into a unit. You are your unit's gatekeeper. You are empowered to accept or reject every soldier that comes into your unit. Many Commanders rely on the judgement of the professional RRNCO to determine suitablity. In this case your RRNCO is asking you to sign a waiver request because in his opinion (after working with the applicant) he believes this person should be processed forward. Frankly in the case of a kidney stone I am not sure why you would doubt him, but it's totally up to you if you want to speak to the applicant directly before making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      Sir,

Ultimately when your Readiness NCO gives a Recruiter a paragraph and line number from your UMR to "pencil" an applicant in, you become his de facto Commander "to be" so to speak. As a Commander, the Recruiter is your tool to seek out qualified applicants and bring them into your unit. Commanders at all levels are the ultimate requesters and decision makers regarding waivers. What level of the command structure a waiver stops at is based on the severity or significance of the waiver. We normally talk about TAG waivers, or NGB waivers in common parlance.

In your last sentence you said, "I dont' know this kid so...." Some Commanders REQUIRE that applicants have a face to face interview with each person they accept into a unit. You are your unit's gatekeeper. You are empowered to accept or reject every soldier that comes into your unit. Many Commanders rely on the judgement of the professional RRNCO to determine suitablity. In this case your RRNCO is asking you to sign a waiver request because in his opinion (after working with the applicant) he believes this person should be processed forward. Frankly in the case of a kidney stone I am not sure why you would doubt him, but it's totally up to you if you want to speak to the applicant directly before making a decision.
      Thank you...

This is the first time I've been presented this situation (still in my first year of command), so I wasn't totally sure what the RRNCO was asking me to do. After talking to my FTS about this, I learned the recruit still has to be fully vetted through MEPs and the recruitment process and that my signature is accepting him to be recruited to the paragraph/line number in my company, as you pointed out.

I don't remember this part of the pre-command course

Comment

Good luck with your command Sir.

Sadly, I am just finishing up my PL time this summer, and I am dissapointed to see it end.

Comment

Sadly, I am just finishing up my PL time this summer, and I am dissapointed to see it end.
          Are you in a branch with specialty PL roles? Ie. Scout Platoon Leader, Mortar Platoon Leader? Personally, I'm looking to move on to a PL position in a Heavy Weapons Company to gain some experience in a mounted environment. Why the heck not? It takes 6 years to get promoted to CPT in NJ so why not have some fun before then right?

Comment

Thank you...the last few months have been a lot crazier than I thought they would be. We've got AT coming soon, and an ODT mission in Germany that will be pretty cool in the start of FY/TY13...once I get through that things should calm down a little bit, I hope.

Do you know already know that you're going to move from your platoon into another slot?

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post

Do you know already know that you're going to move from your platoon into another slot?
              Mine is a storied tale Sir. I initially branch assigned Engineer, put off attending BOLC as long as practicable, and performed 18 months of PL time without being branch qualified in a Horizontal (ESC). Then, in a daring career move I branch reassigned to TC. My new BC has moved me to a BN Mobility slot, but I will remain with my Platoon until I end this Gold Bar tour, finally attend BOLC and then start with the new BN. (So Polo, nothing so exciting as a Scout, Mortar or Heavy Weapons PL. I enlisted in 1988 when Regan was president, so I'm content to leaving the action adventure CA stuff to the younger LTs who want to jump out of airplanes and all that ****. )

Comment

Mine is a storied tale Sir. I initially branch assigned Engineer, put off attending BOLC as long as practicable, and performed 18 months of PL time without being branch qualified in a Horizontal (ESC). Then, in a daring career move I branch reassigned to TC. My new BC has moved me to a BN Mobility slot, but I will remain with my Platoon until I end this Gold Bar tour, finally attend BOLC and then start with the new BN. (So Polo, nothing so exciting as a Scout, Mortar or Heavy Weapons PL. I enlisted in 1988 when Regan was president, so I'm content to leaving the action adventure CA stuff to the younger LTs who want to jump out of airplanes and all that ****. )
                Puts new meaning in being a "senior LT"

Comment

Working...
                X