X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Waiver/OCS Board

I seek your advice on a certain subject. Recently, it has been required of me to write a statement pertaining to a lapse on moral judgement on my part that happened a few years ago during my freshman year of college. Bottom line, alcohol was involved and I was under that age of 21. I understand this was a very poor decision on my part and I explained myself very well enough in the statement. So with all do respect, please save me the humiliation of telling me how young and dumb I was and that this may effect me the rest of my life. My question is that will this come up at my board interview and will this be grounds for rejection? Personally, I believe that my other qualities will trump the fact of my poor decision, but I would like the advice of individuals who have gone through the process.

thanks,

J

Re: Moral Waiver/OCS Board

I am not asking for you to be more specific regarding the specifics for your "incident", but a "lapse in moral judgement" can mean many different things. If you were intoxicated at 19 years old and went out and streaked down main street, I don't think you will have a lasting issue. If you got drunk and grouped a 15 year old who was passed out. Yes, I think you have a problem.

Are you applying to Federal OCS with the Active Army? What is your military status now? Again, you don't have to be specific, just be clearer on how significant this incident was.

Comment

Are you a recruit considering the 09S enlistment option? If so exercise caution. In my state 09S candidates having moral issues require TWO waivers. One to be processed at MEPS during initial enlistment, and one to be processed by OCS when you submit your OCS packet after completing BCT. The standards of review are not necessarily the same. Our class has lost at least two 09S candidates as a result of OCS rejecting their (relatively minor) moral waivers that were fully documented and disclosed at MEPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        I am not asking for you to be more specific regarding the specifics for your "incident", but a "lapse in moral judgement" can mean many different things. If you were intoxicated at 19 years old and went out and streaked down main street, I don't think you will have a lasting issue. If you got drunk and grouped a 15 year old who was passed out. Yes, I think you have a problem.

Are you applying to Federal OCS with the Active Army? What is your military status now? Again, you don't have to be specific, just be clearer on how significant this incident was.
        Im applying for Federal OCS through the PA National guard. The incident was over 2 years ago, 19 years old, several friends and I were CAUSALLY drinking at an oncampus residence..NOTE: Not a party, recieved a citation for "being under the age of 21 and posessing and consuming alcohol" took the ARD class to get it expunged off the record and paid the fines...end of story..

your opinion?

Comment

My recruiter and I have the paperwork all set up for 09S, I've been to MEPS, I gotten cleared on the physical, all I have to do it get my references and sign my contract and Ill enter the RSP program through my senior year of college and go to BCT in May of 2013 and then Fed OCS following that...those are the plans anyways.
          Last edited by RyCass; June 12th, 2012, 09:53 PM. Reason: deleted duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by rkh View Post
            Are you a recruit considering the 09S enlistment option? If so exercise caution. In my state 09S candidates having moral issues require TWO waivers. One to be processed at MEPS during initial enlistment, and one to be processed by OCS when you submit your OCS packet after completing BCT. The standards of review are not necessarily the same. Our class has lost at least two 09S candidates as a result of OCS rejecting their (relatively minor) moral waivers that were fully documented and disclosed at MEPS.
            Sorry to thread-jack, but are you attending state or federal OCS where they have rejected moral waivers?

Comment

I wasn't aware PA sent Soldiers to Federal OCS....the OP could well have meant Accelerated (based off my recent Board, the majority either do Traditional or Accelerated in the Fall, and a few going to Alabama)

Comment

And to answer the OP's original question, in my experience at the May Board in PA, anything in your packet can come up. In my case, they brought up the Entry Level Separation I had from the USCG in 2008, which required me to get a waiver to re-enlist. Best advice is to be honest, show how you've learned from the experience and matured since then. While the ELS is one of my biggest regrets in life, it's also been one of the biggest motivators since then to never quit at anything again, and always push through no matter how tough it gets.

Comment

OP,

I do not believe the past indescretion will cause you any future issues.

Any state can send Candidates to the Federal Program, I can't speak specifically on PA's policy.

Comment

Working...
                  X