Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1LT to CPT during a deployment?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

    Wondering if anybody knew of the specifics for promotion from 1LT to CPT while being on title 10 orders while deployed I've read recently that TIG is 24 months now, so i'll be hitting that this OCT. Deploying the following month, this November, I'm wondering if the S-1 or whoever will treat us more like active duty with automatic promotions once time is met. Additionally, not sure if it matters, but my 2LT to 1LT promotion was delayed anyways having commission back in May 08. Any info would be great. Not clear about most of this, and a lot of the info out there seems diluted.

  • #2
    Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

    I don't think it's automatic just because you're on title 10. I was in a similar position a few years ago.

    I hit TIG about the middle of my deployment (May) and pinned on right before we went home(Oct). Even though you're on title 10, you'll still have to get a state order published and then have your packet go through fedrec. My guess is that you see you promotion sometime in March or April and no, it won't be backdated.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

      You still need a CPT slot to be promoted. Our XO just got promoted, he will deploy with us but will be leaving for his new slot as soon as we get back.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

        Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
        You still need a CPT slot to be promoted. Our XO just got promoted, he will deploy with us but will be leaving for his new slot as soon as we get back.
        True...something I neglected to mention.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

          Yea There has to be a slot... I'm at 27 months TIG now but there's no slots here currently so I'm still in my position. Serious backlog of officers here lol

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

            Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
            Yea There has to be a slot... I'm at 27 months TIG now but there's no slots here currently so I'm still in my position. Serious backlog of officers here lol
            Will the IRR work? I suppose this leads me to my next question... If there are no O-3 slots, then does that mean Active Duty O-3s cannot transfer into the State?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

              I mean, theoretically this would work, but then what? Go on IRR to try to come back? lol! Unless you can go on IRR, pick up the O-3, then try to get into the reserves or something... But i'd go as far as saying it's not a best practice lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                I mean, theoretically this would work, but then what? Go on IRR to try to come back? lol! Unless you can go on IRR, pick up the O-3, then try to get into the reserves or something... But i'd go as far as saying it's not a best practice lol
                If it works, then it only means one thing: the system is broken. If it can be subverted, it is flawed.

                Just like how some of the worst rated senior 1LTs in the BN went to the IRR and were promoted to O-3 before our most highly rated 1LTs were promoted. These subpar officers also managed to get off IRR immediately (via USAR) as well.
                Last edited by Polo08816; May 21st, 2012, 01:43 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                  Well I'm not 100% sure if it works, that's why I said theoretically lol. I'm, sure its been tried and I'm sure they have found a way to stop it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                    Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    Will the IRR work? I suppose this leads me to my next question... If there are no O-3 slots, then does that mean Active Duty O-3s cannot transfer into the State?
                    You could ostensibly have a O3 filling a vacant O2 position.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                      I guess we got transferred from our parent unit to an SFAT unit, so currently I am in an O-3 position, albeit not in my parent unit. Don't know how this transfer possibly affects anything.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                        Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                        You could ostensibly have a O3 filling a vacant O2 position.
                        True, but I don't think you can get promoted to O-3 if you're in an O-2 slot.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                          Originally posted by garry554 View Post
                          I guess we got transferred from our parent unit to an SFAT unit, so currently I am in an O-3 position, albeit not in my parent unit. Don't know how this transfer possibly affects anything.
                          If you're holding an O-3 slot currently, then you should be able to get promoted without having to move (on paper) into a slot, but that doesn't necessarily change the timeline.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                            Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                            True, but I don't think you can get promoted to O-3 if you're in an O-2 slot.
                            You're right. Can't get promoted without the slot and branch qualification in that slot.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 1LT to CPT during a deployment?

                              The IRR is slower then any TPU promotion as you'll have to wait your max TIG to get promoted. Some officers will use IMA (which can look like IRR) to get promoted. You just really need a slot but don't have to branch qualified in the slot to get promoted.

                              The IRR can get an officer around a bad OER for promotion as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X