X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for Fire training

At our recent OCS Phase 0 Weekend, we were told that the two biggest hurdles for candidates were usually the Land Nav and the Call For Fire. Land Nav I did fairly well on in OSUT (passed both daytime tests - didn't get the nighttime one but my pace count was off by a lot) - and there's a Land Nav course near me I can practice on as well as additional practice we'll get at the next Phase 0 weekend.

Call for Fire - my only experience was a brief class we got on last year's AT, which showed us the basics and an old simulator. Unfortunately with the graphics being very pixelated I misidentified the "Infantry in the open" as a small collection of shrubs. My rounds landed right on the shrubs, but then trying to adjust it over to the infantry on the other side of the screen was quite a task.

I've found the appropriate FM's and some presentations which have been put online, but was wondering if anyone could offer any more suggestions for training on this pre-OCS? What sort of test would it be - on a simulator, written, etc? I'll be doing Phase 1 in Maryland and Phase 2 & 3 in PA if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Re: Call for Fire training

It's a 20 - 25 question multiple choice exam. Honestly, I wouldn't loose any sleep over this to the extent that I would go so far as to not even worry about preparation for the Call for Fire exam at OCS. Frankly, the WORM formula is really quite easy, and like nearly all Army exams, you are WELL prepared prior to taking it. Land Nav is another matter altogether. The reason Land Navigation is a quintessential "weed out" is that, as you know, ANY small mistake during any of the steps in the multistepped process ultimately means you don't hit your end point. Night land nav is even more tenuous. Cest la vie.

Comment

You could enroll in a correspondense course through ALMS. You can find the link to ALMS through AKO, go to My Training. There are a TON of courses for field artillery but the call for and adjust fire course would be all you need. I think the course is 4 credit hours.

Comment

I would not go all crazy but as a suggestion; link up with a 13 series soldier and just simulate fire missions.

Comment

Fire Mission, Over.

A simple search (Googs, Asks, Yaho, etc) found some things that might help on ArmyStudyGuide.com
          I wont post the link here... should be easy to find... a lot of questions like this can be answered in a lot
          of places if a Candidate would just take the time to think outside the box and be a bit more self-sufficient.

Splash, Over.
          Last edited by LRSU_Dog; May 14th, 2012, 08:58 AM.

Comment

My thanks to those with useful suggestions and information.

I should have clarified - in my initial google search I already found the presentations etc on armystudyguide.com, and was more looking for any lesser-known information or methods of learning (e.g. I found a thread on another forum with a link to a downloadable Call for Fire trainer, but the link was broken). I'm aware of the ALMS course but have difficulty accessing through my laptop.

My focus is on PT, D&C and Land Nav - but I'm just building an awareness and basic familiarity with Phase 2 Classes.

Mongoose - thanks for the clarification on the test and additional info.

Comment

Unless you are already a 300 pt'er and can do about 10 pull ups,
              I'd say studing for call for fire is a complete and utter waste.

As Mongoose basically said...they can teach a monkey (me) to do it, you'll be fine.

scj

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
                Splash, Over.
                Splash, Out.

Comment

Seriously, CFF isn't all that hard. Just look it up online. There's a ton of resources.

You can always peruse the handy dandy FM 6-30...

Comment

So ironic that the last post was given by an icon of that old school, civil war gun

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      So ironic that the last post was given by an icon of that old school, civil war gun
                      Haha, I don't suppose you need CFF for direct fire, do you? haha
                      Last edited by Lance13A; May 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM. Reason: syntax/grammar

Comment

Working...
                      X