X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant with only a few months left in OCS

Would they let you finish it up? What would happen?

Re: Pregnant with only a few months left in OCS

I assume, based on the wording of your question, that this was based on a Phase 2 state "traditional" program. You simply have to meet all the course objectives, so it is case dependant based on the term of the pregnacy. Performing Phase 2's 7 and 10 mile ruckmarches, PT test, and other strenuous physical activity might not be contraindicated in a soldier who was only 1 month into her pregnancy. This would not be the case obviously for someone in her 3rd trimester. In the event that the pregnancy interfered with her ability to complete due to physical limitations, withdrawl and future readmittance without prejudece would certainly be looked upon favorably.

Comment

Not sure what your dealings with OCS or knowledge of pregnancy is Mongoose, but I would bet
      that any level of pregnancy would not last 2 weeks in Alabama phase 3.

Normal healthy humans were dropping like flies at various points of training last summer.

OP if you or someone you know is pregnant do not attempt to 'finish' OCS without letting your
      OCS Cadre know your situation. You (they) can cause serious personal harm, as well as injury
      to the unborn child.

The end of National Guard OCS is structured such that it is a full out sprint to the finish line.
      At least 16 hour days, 110 degree heat, stx lanes, plt lanes, confidence course, 4 hours of sleep
      a night...etc...etc.

This is one of those questions that is best answered by professionals, not on an internet message
      board.

Comment

I can only foresee the near future of women in the combat arms

Ensure that you engage your TAC/Cadre on your concerns (ensuring that I stay on topic)

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 4th, 2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

It will depend on what phase the Soldier is in and what program. More specifically, are you referring to Federal or State Officer Candidate School? If you are talking about State, for example, with a 14 month program, it's more likely to be able to be recycled through after the pregnancy. Overall, there's no specific regulation on this, leaving it to the discretion of the Commander. How far the pregnancy has progressed, the health of the mother and baby, and what was the last phase completed will also play a role on being able to complete the training.

Comment

Stay on topic please.

-Steve
            Last edited by SteveLord; May 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Stay on topic please.

-Steve
              Last edited by SteveLord; May 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

OP, this is really a conversation you need to have with your OCS Company Commander and your doctor. There's no reason to danger your and your future child's health. Plus there are things a commander must do once they learn one of their Soldiers is pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by scjohnny View Post
                  Not sure what your dealings with OCS or knowledge of pregnancy is Mongoose, but I would bet
                  that any level of pregnancy would not last 2 weeks in Alabama phase 3.

Normal healthy humans were dropping like flies at various points of training last summer.

OP if you or someone you know is pregnant do not attempt to 'finish' OCS without letting your
                  OCS Cadre know your situation. You (they) can cause serious personal harm, as well as injury
                  to the unborn child.

The end of National Guard OCS is structured such that it is a full out sprint to the finish line.
                  At least 16 hour days, 110 degree heat, stx lanes, plt lanes, confidence course, 4 hours of sleep
                  a night...etc...etc.

This is one of those questions that is best answered by professionals, not on an internet message
                  board.
                  It's best to discuss this with the OCS Company Commander.

There is a possibility of "light duty" for the remainder of OCS Phase 2 as long as the major check the block events are done. That would make it much easier to accommodate a soldier in this situation. It is not necessary to attend Phase 3 right after Phase 2 finishes. There's a certain timeframe within which someone needs to complete the OCS program from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    Stay on topic please.

-Steve
                    I forget this website resides in China

I have to go back to my robomarine mode in carrying conversations haha.

Feel free to join us on armyforums.com where I moderate. We have a little more lattitude for responses on there but not as crazy as militarytimes.com/forums where those posters are out of control. I never have seen so many bitter active duty personnel from the senior ranks. They truly vent on there.

I appreciate the whipping.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 4th, 2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      I forget this website resides in China

I have to go back to my robomarine mode in carrying conversations haha.

Feel free to join us on armyforums.com where I moderate. We have a little more lattitude for responses on there but not as crazy as militarytimes.com/forums where those posters are out of control. I never have seen so many bitter active duty personnel from the senior ranks. They truly vent on there.

I appreciate the whipping.
                      Please don't make this a bigger issue than it is. If you want to debate women in combat jobs, go ahead. We've done it before. Just do it in another thread. I removed posts that could incite that debate here, which we do not want. The OP's question had nothing to do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                        Please don't make this a bigger issue than it is. .
                        Of course I wasn't. But sometimes a comment that is off the mark but indirectly relates to the topic, can make an OP, reader or even a future reader; think of their actions, before they act and the repercussions that might happen afterwards. For example, if I am a female in OCS and read FMCITYSLICER's post, maybe I might be cautious or take responsible actions before a se xual encounter.

Things happen in life. We all know that. It is just amazing that the human race never learns from another individual's mistakes from the past. Sadly, we still have murder, ****, financial problems, abortions, etc, etc. Seems like everyone just preaches to the choir at times.

Comment

Working...
                        X