X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Lab - Joint Training and Training Development Center

Has anyone been able to structure meaningful training at their state's battle lab/JT2DC? Heck, I'm not even sure if other states have something like this. It seems to be a significant part of the budget in our state (an O-6 command) and the facility has a low re****tion among all the company grade officers that I've known. It's essentially, a facility that holds many electronic simulators that barely function over 50% of the time we've been there.

Here's a Facebook post that I've run across in regards to a Battle Lab that has a pretty strong following among company grade officers in my BN. "If I were the TAG...":

The third thing on the list is demolition training, and I think I have the perfect site picked out: JT2DC. I am going to finally get rid of the entire JT2DC and replace it with an amusement park. Any E-8 or O-4 and above currently employed at JT2DC will have the opportunity to finish his or her career as a ride operator. Uniform for ride personnel will be ACUs with a court jester cap and clown shoes. Instead of busing soldiers out of the field 45 minutes each way to attend some complete bastardization of training at an indoor facility staffed by SGMs and Colonels who have never deployed, they will just have to stay out on their STX lanes and ranges learning skills that may actually save their lives or the lives of their fellow soldiers in combat.

Re: Battle Lab - Joint Training and Training Development Center

I helped put together a pretty good TOCEX for the BN staff using a CPOF lab. Once we went through the training, the instructors helped us run some simulations through the system. It gave the staff an opportunity to battle track, receive incoming reports, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
      I helped put together a pretty good TOCEX for the BN staff using a CPOF lab. Once we went through the training, the instructors helped us run some simulations through the system. It gave the staff an opportunity to battle track, receive incoming reports, etc.
      That is pretty good training but that's not quite the same as a "battle lab" in terms of size. We're talking about a "lab" that is an O-6 command.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        That is pretty good training but that's not quite the same as a "battle lab" in terms of size. We're talking about a "lab" that is an O-6 command.
        CPOF falls under the Battle Lab/Sim Center command here, I believe. Not sure if it is an 0-6 billet or not, but there's definitely some rank responsible for managing those facilities. Are you looking for ideas on how to use the resources or complaining about the wastefulness of a broken battle lab run by a bunch of slick sleeves?

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
          CPOF falls under the Battle Lab/Sim Center command here, I believe. Not sure if it is an 0-6 billet or not, but there's definitely some rank responsible for managing those facilities. Are you looking for ideas on how to use the resources or complaining about the wastefulness of a broken battle lab run by a bunch of slick sleeves?
          Mostly this. Better training is conducted in the field. If you were to ask me how I would utilize the resources of our battle lab as it stands, the answer is: I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Mostly this. Better training is conducted in the field. If you were to ask me how I would utilize the resources of our battle lab as it stands, the answer is: I wouldn't.
            Playing the advocate here but I've used the battle lab for a number of different things. I don't always use it for the simulators though. ever go into the back rooms where they have mock streets and deserts? They use simunitions and paintball in those rooms to help build team cohesion and confidence... A bit hard to reserve for your guys to train, but if you can get it, I highly suggest it.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
              Playing the advocate here but I've used the battle lab for a number of different things. I don't always use it for the simulators though. ever go into the back rooms where they have mock streets and deserts? They use simunitions and paintball in those rooms to help build team cohesion and confidence... A bit hard to reserve for your guys to train, but if you can get it, I highly suggest it.
              Personally, I think the same could be achieved using the MOUT sites on Ft. Dix. It would cost NJ a lot less. But obviously, we have to somehow justify an O-6 command and all its staff even when we don't have enough money to send our SGTs to WLC.

Basically, we can't fund our current size to the standard so the solution to that is to stand units down. Do it right or don't do it at all. A company size element ready to kick @ss is better than a clusterf*ck at the BN level that is not ready to handle missions beyond navigating to the DFAC. Obviously, if we stood units down, it would be hard to justify the same # of tech and AGR positions....

There is also this rumor of this magnificently thought out FY13 training schedule. The goal is to do as many MUTAs early in the year to burn through as much funds as possible (while, again, not sending people to NCOES and OES) and do MUTA2s for the rest of the year. This allows you to achieve higher level of competence early in the FY while using the other half of the year to forget it all.
              Last edited by Polo08816; May 9th, 2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X