Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PAARNG OCS Board

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
    That makes sense in the current climate, but surely this line of thought will have to change as the war winds down and deployment opportunities dwindle.
    Maybe, but we're not set to pull out of Afghan until 2014 and that late in the year. In addition, as Karzai loses control of the country, I bet he'll ask for forces to help stabilize and provide assistance.

In addition, you also have to look beyond Afghan for deployment opportunities. They are there and if one stays in long enough, they'll go...

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
      Just an observation, but it would appear that USAForever would have attended Accelerated OCS last year in 2012 based on the date of the posts. I think he/she a 2LT today, so the avatar was probalby changed after commissioning.
      That's true, but what does that have to do with ArmyOfMe, who he quoted, who also said (today) that he/she will be shipping to Basic Training in 10 days, and who has a 2LT rank as his/her avatar?

Attention to detail, OC!

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
        First, you're an E-4. Not a 2LT. Change the avatar or go with something custom (there are a few to choose from, including an OCS shield).

I honestly would advise against even the OCS shield until you are in OCS. If you must have a rank, I believe the SPC rank is available, and is also what you're going to be wearing on your chest for 3 months at BCT. Or just find something cool like a cartoon cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
          That's true, but what does that have to do with ArmyOfMe, who he quoted, who also said (today) that he/she will be shipping to Basic Training in 10 days, and who has a 2LT rank as his/her avatar?

Attention to detail, OC!
          lol, I thought the same thing when he mentioned USAFOREVER but he is an OC, so those types of responses are the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
            I honestly would advise against even the OCS shield until you are in OCS. If you must have a rank, I believe the SPC rank is available, and is also what you're going to be wearing on your chest for 3 months at BCT. Or just find something cool like a cartoon cannon.
            Missed that part. I was curious why the thread got re-energized. I too would suggest you choose the SPC avatar until you return from BCT.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
              Missed that part. I was curious why the thread got re-energized. I too would suggest you choose the SPC avatar until you return from BCT.
              It's ok. Life goes on.

Now for a really good time, I think ArmyOfMe should wear an OCS rank patch while at BCT.....!

Comment

Wow, just noticed this thread got brought back. In this climate, from what I've seen, I wouldn't base your Traditional/Accelerated decision on deployment. The biggest factors I would say, off the top of my head are:

1) Do you feel you'll be ready to lead a platoon in 8 weeks? Granted, you'll have to complete your Branch school as well, but there is a chance you'll have to at least act as a PL during some drill weekends and potentially AT before going to BOLC.

2) Do you feel you'd function better in a 24/7 environment or the year(ish) of drill weekends? Personally I found it much better for me, as my civilian job is very demanding, and the OCS location was a 4+hr drive each way. For others, the longer time period to mature and train served them better.

3) Physically and mentally do you think you're up to it? Phase 1 was a suckfest by all accounts. Numbers wise, we had about 60 attend the first Phase 0 weekend, shipped about 38 to Phase 1, and came back with 23. Of those several had chosen to switch from Accelerated to Traditional, but honestly, those ones usually quit the Traditional Program eventually and went enlisted. It's hard to tell who will make - one very outwardly positive and motivated prior E-6 was one of the first to quit in Phase 1, despite being in outstanding physical condition and having a lot of prior Army knowledge. I'm not going to lie, after getting 0 out of 7 points on the first day of Land Nav and totally smoking myself during it, I was questioning if I should be there. After a brief moment of self-pity, I had a good laugh about it to some other OC's, talked to one of the Land Nav Cadre on how I'd screwed up, got an awesome class on terrain association, pace counting, etc and I went 6 for 7 on the real event. Basically what I'm getting at is make sure you have some solid personal motivation to make it through, because you will have low points no matter how much you prepare. For me, it was a combination of honest-to-God patriotism, knowing how much faith my wife had in me to make it, and being eternally grateful for the second chance the Army has given me (I was a former Coast Guard Bootcamp dropout)

Finally, as others have mentioned, you're going to have to convince your State that accelerated would be right for you. Think ahead on why you want to be an Officer, what you can bring to it, and what you'll gain from it. Don't be the one sitting outside the Board asking others "What should I say when they ask me why I want to be an Officer? I've never thought about it and I just don't know why!" (True story).

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                  It's ok. Life goes on.

Now for a really good time, I think ArmyOfMe should wear an OCS rank patch while at BCT.....!
                  Oh, the drills would have a field day with that!

Comment

Working...
                  X