X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAARNG OCS Board

Just a quick note to mention that I'm going to the PAARNG OCS Board May 5-6. From what I've been told, there'll be a PT Test, Board, briefings and then some land nav practice.

I'm hoping to be selected for the Fall AOCS - my civilian employer is totally fine with it and I'd prefer to be able to 100% focus on it for the 8 weeks vs trying to balance work with prep for the weekend drills (I work in the Oil&Gas Sector as an Engineer so I travel a fair bit for that)

My last PT score in mid March was 264 - my aim is a 270+ by the Board and 280+ by AOCS.

I should be branching Infantry - I considered Signal or Artillery but I prefer being involved at the "sharp end" and would like to get some Combat Arms time in before I possibly branch Space Operations or SF down the line. Regardless, my immediate objectives are to do well at the Board, then get as much as I can out of AOCS/IBOLC and whatever follows.

Any advice or comments are more than welcome - I'll post about my experience after the Board in any case.

Re: PAARNG OCS Board

Originally posted by USAForever View Post
    Just a quick note to mention that I'm going to the PAARNG OCS Board May 5-6. From what I've been told, there'll be a PT Test, Board, briefings and then some land nav practice.

I'm hoping to be selected for the Fall AOCS - my civilian employer is totally fine with it and I'd prefer to be able to 100% focus on it for the 8 weeks vs trying to balance work with prep for the weekend drills (I work in the Oil&Gas Sector as an Engineer so I travel a fair bit for that)

My last PT score in mid March was 264 - my aim is a 270+ by the Board and 280+ by AOCS.

I should be branching Infantry - I considered Signal or Artillery but I prefer being involved at the "sharp end" and would like to get some Combat Arms time in before I possibly branch Space Operations or SF down the line. Regardless, my immediate objectives are to do well at the Board, then get as much as I can out of AOCS/IBOLC and whatever follows.

Any advice or comments are more than welcome - I'll post about my experience after the Board in any case.
    ... so which state has this?

Comment

That would be Colorado. I'll eventually be moving back there in a few years by which time I should hopefully be up to the O-2/3 level. It's a branch immaterial slot. Amongst other things they have "Space Teams", as shown here:

http://co.ng.mil/arng/units/space/default.aspx

Comment

Quick update - I was selected for Accelerated, this Fall in Maryland and PA. Will post a little more about what went on later. Very stoked and eager to hit the ground running in a couple of months!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Here's a quick summary of the weekend for those interested.

Checked in Friday afternoon. 2 to a room, pretty decent. Had a WOCS class going on in the same barracks so we heard them reciting the Soldier's Creed etc, and got abruptly woken up at 0505 because they thought we were with them and had slept in (their formation was at 0500, ours wasn't till 0700, LOL). Initial briefing from a TAC at the formation, then breakfast and intro to OCS dining procedures (square meals etc). Got changed into ASU's for the Board, then went to a classroom and received classes on OCS History, Land Nav etc. Things were kept formal and designed to get us used to OCS procedures. My Board was in the afternoon, went well - asked standard questions on why I wanted to be an Officer, and then some specifics (moving to the US vs staying in the UK etc). The last one was actually on my USCG Entry Level Separation - I explained what happened, how I regretted it but was glad to have learned from it and gotten my 2nd chance with the military. More classes finished up the day along with some D&C practice and we were given our recommendations (Traditional or Accelerated) that evening.

We had a mock-PT test Sunday morning. Have to work on my pushup and situp form as I lost a few due to that, but good to know now so I can really get it squared away for next time (chest to the ground for pushups and elbows past the knees for situps so they'll definitely count). Run time improved from 15:04 to 14:31 so good to see the training is working. Had more Boards on Sunday and a "Shake-down" which was a TA-50 layout so any deficiencies can be corrected in plenty of time for Phase 1. Got released in the afternoon and started the 3 1/2 hr drive home.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Comment

How's it going for you in the past three weeks???

Comment

Congrats and I like being stationed in Colorado but as with my last two units; I am currently deployed and not enjoying the location for this summer. Fort Carson is grand.

Comment

Second Phase 0 weekend went well - had Land Nav classes and practical on Saturday which was extremely helpful, and then a PT Test Sunday. Class on AAR's, lunch and then cleared Barracks/finished up any admin paperwork. I should be able to do another Land Nav course at a local armory before I go for extra practice, and have been studying up on the required knowledge.

FM - Ft Carson is an awesome post! I hope to get back there when I move back to CO down the line.

Comment

So far so good Candidate.

Comment

I enlisted with the 09S option as an E-4 with a guaranteed shot at OCS. I ship to BCT in 10 days and my board will be in November. I am trying to decide whether or not to go accelerated or traditional. I don't really want to be undeployable for 2+ years and then join an established unit without a combat patch. Is it better to get it all done quickly and then try and volunteer for deployment. Looking for general advice

Comment

First 2LT lol, I see officers on a daily basis without a combat patch so it's no big deal. Also, if you complete accelerated, there is no guarantee that you deploy to Afghanistan. Your combat patch may come from being in Kuwait and that is a cake walk. Just complete OCS on a overall timetable to your liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Army0fMe View Post
                          I enlisted with the 09S option as an E-4 with a guaranteed shot at OCS. I ship to BCT in 10 days and my board will be in November. I am trying to decide whether or not to go accelerated or traditional. I don't really want to be undeployable for 2+ years and then join an established unit without a combat patch. Is it better to get it all done quickly and then try and volunteer for deployment. Looking for general advice
                          First, you're an E-4. Not a 2LT. Change the avatar or go with something custom (there are a few to choose from, including an OCS shield).

Second, your choice of Accelerated versus Traditional is not really a choice you get to make, per se. It had to do with how well your perform at Phase 0, what slots your state has and how much they like you/think you'll perform. If you want AOCS, I recommend a 270+ PT score, *complete* OCS packet and no waivers for anything that will trip you up. You have to think, when you finish AOCS, you will commission. If you need any sort of waiver, it could delay you and the RTI may just send you to TOCS for simplicity.

Third, a lack of a combat patch on a 2LT is not a bigdeal. You'll get one soon enough. It's when you go up for O-3 or higher that the lack of a patch will raise a few eyebrows (at least, in Texas it will) considering we've been at war for 10+ years.

Baby steps padawan. Go rock it at Phase 0 and progress from there.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                            First, you're an E-4. Not a 2LT. Change the avatar or go with something custom (there are a few to choose from, including an OCS shield).

Second, your choice of Accelerated versus Traditional is not really a choice you get to make, per se. It had to do with how well your perform at Phase 0, what slots your state has and how much they like you/think you'll perform. If you want AOCS, I recommend a 270+ PT score, *complete* OCS packet and no waivers for anything that will trip you up. You have to think, when you finish AOCS, you will commission. If you need any sort of waiver, it could delay you and the RTI may just send you to TOCS for simplicity.

Third, a lack of a combat patch on a 2LT is not a bigdeal. You'll get one soon enough. It's when you go up for O-3 or higher that the lack of a patch will raise a few eyebrows (at least, in Texas it will) considering we've been at war for 10+ years.

That makes sense in the current climate, but surely this line of thought will have to change as the war winds down and deployment opportunities dwindle.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post

Just an observation, but it would appear that USAForever would have attended Accelerated OCS last year in 2012 based on the date of the posts. I think he/she a 2LT today, so the avatar was probalby changed after commissioning.

To others that are pursuing OCS, I've bolded some of jmclaughlin1701's post. Don't go in from the get-go thinking you're automatically going to get Accelerated, because for most states it is highly dependent on all those factors mentioned here.

Comment

Working...
                              X