X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard Enlisted to Active Duty Army 2LT

Just for questionings sake I'd like to present my situation here. Originally I was looking at taking the ROTC scholarship and coming out of college as a 2LT in active army. I'm a high school junior now and what has been told to me is that I can enlist split op with the guard now, G.I. Bill my way to college after A.I.T., take ROTC, and come out 2LT active Duty. Is that true? If so where can I confirm this info? Thanks in advance

Re: Guard Enlisted to Active Duty Army 2LT

Yes this is true. Not 100% sure on the split op though just because I'm not sure if that program still exists. I was a split op 9 years ago and I remember talk of it going away but maybe that was just bad RUMNIT.

Comment

Split op is apparently still alive and well, I have buddies that just went through last year and i'm going this year

Comment

I responded to your other thread, but if you have an ROTC scholarship, why do you want to enlist Split-Op? In my opinion, you gain very little this way, if you have an ROTC scholarship available.

Keep in mind, AD out of ROTC is not a guarantee.

Comment

I want to have worn stripes at one time, I don't want to be an officer who hasn't ever experienced what the men under me haven't. I want the experience to make me a more effective leader, I lose nothing really but gain some knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
            I responded to your other thread, but if you have an ROTC scholarship, why do you want to enlist Split-Op? In my opinion, you gain very little this way, if you have an ROTC scholarship available.

Keep in mind, AD out of ROTC is not a guarantee.
            Speaking from experience, the AD slots have become very competitive, even at my senior military school. Furthermore, there are a huge variety of ROTC scholarships (guaranteed reserve, guaranteed NG, etc.) that limit your options.

- The fastest way to get into JAG would be to go through your undergraduate and graduate work, then apply via direct commission. This is the most expensive route, fiscally speaking.

- Another option is to attend school on an ROTC scholarship and apply for an educational delay, though it isn't guaranteed. Furthermore, the scholarship you take needs to be an AD scholarship, not a NG or Reserve scholarship. You could try to do ROTC while in law school, but it isn't realistically feasible. Some people have supposedly done it.

- Additionally you could enlist in the NG, then enroll in ROTC. All of the above option applies, to include the fact that you'd have the GI Bill. However, once again, you are at the mercy of the OML.

- Finally, you can enlist and use FTA, STA, and the GI Bill to pay for most of your schooling, then apply for a direct commission after your enlistment contract ends or some variation therein.

There's a saying: a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. I'd try to land an AD ROTC scholarship before making up your mind, as that will provide you with the most options; right now these are only possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Rfreemanva View Post
              I want to have worn stripes at one time, I don't want to be an officer who hasn't ever experienced what the men under me haven't. I want the experience to make me a more effective leader, I lose nothing really but gain some knowledge.
              Very idealistic of you. Maybe I'm getting jaded at this point in my career, but I've seen such a wide gamut of leaders that I can honestly say I have never seen a difference. I've seen prior E-6s that were dirt bag officers, and ROTC kids with no enlisted time that were jam up and vice-versa and everything in between. If that's what you want, go for it, but it seems like a lot of hassle for little ROI to me.

Keep in mind that a JAG officer is more of an admin/support role, not really a troop leader so the whole value of enlisted experience as it relates to leadership is further diluted.

Comment

also, keep in mind that the guard has a program with West Point, where there are like 85 slots per year for Guard guys, which apparently never gets filled. I have 2 buddies from my unit doing that, since they are currently in the same college as me, but unable to get contracted ROTC because everyone and their mother wants in. With the Guard's West Point program, you dont need a congressional recommendation, and this link will tell you more about it.. http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...top/west-point

you seem like a bright kid, and depending on what your record looks like through high school, it might be worth just doing an OSUT or Basic/Ait program straight through and then looking into this, without doing a split op. I know from your other post you aren't going for 11B, but, for us, split op was terrible. you do basic, get in shape, and take a year off to get lazy, and then get red-phased hard once you get back. it is always better to just do it straight through so you can keep your physical and mental mentalities in check.

Comment

Having the five extra years in uniform is huge, though, especially if you go active duty. Enlisting at 17 means you can retire if you so desire at 37. If you finish all your schooling first, and then direct commission (like me), you're at a minimum 45 years old before you can retire. That's eight years of difference, which is massive. (of course, remember that your active duty retirement still wouldn't kick in until you were 45, and you couldn't collect on a reserve/guard retirement until you were old.)

Comment

Wow this is all a lot to think about. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                    X