X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Qualifying Employment

I was hoping someone on the board might help me make sense of this. Please forgive the length of the post.

I was looking into the public service loan forgiveness program. Basically, it allows you to forgive any debt you have left over after 10 years provided you have worked in the public sector.

What I was primarily interested in is the idea of cobbling together two part-time public interest jobs to meet the qualifications of: "An annual average of at least 30 hours per week."

The Guard qualifies as one employer: "Military service for uniformed members of U.S. Armed Forces or the National Guard means “active duty” service or “full-time National Guard duty” as defined in Section 101(d)(1) and (d)(5) of Title 10 in the United States Code, but does not include active duty for training or attendance at a service school."

101 (d) (1)
    The term “active duty” means full-time duty in the active military service of the United States. Such term includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, and attendance, while in the active military service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary of the military department concerned. Such term does not include full-time National Guard duty.

101 (d) (5)
    The term “full-time National Guard duty” means training or other duty, other than inactive duty, performed by a member of the Army National Guard of the United States or the Air National Guard of the United States in the member’s status as a member of the National Guard of a State or territory, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the District of Columbia under section 316, 502, 503, 504, or 505 of title 32 for which the member is entitled to pay from the United States or for which the member has waived pay from the United States.

So, if I am reading this correctly, according to 101 (d) (5) "full-time National Guard duty" is any training or duty for which you are paid for? Are you considered "Full-time National Guard" during monthly drills and annual training?

I am curious because if this program is available, I would love to be able to take advantage of it. I was considering going in as an Officer, and right now loan repayment is not available in my state, so I am investigating all options.

Re: Public Service Loan Forgiveness Qualifying Employment

Originally posted by tgsd457 View Post
    Are you considered "Full-time National Guard" during monthly drills and annual training?
    Nope. Fraid not.

Comment

As an example, I am eligible for this as I work for the State of Michigan as my civilian job.

Comment

Basically, this means AGR or mobilized service.

To all the sharpshooting barracks lawyers: yes, I have provided a very simplified answer, because this forum is designed to provide actionable advice to current and prospective Guardsmen, and not prepare someone for the LSAT.

Comment

Thanks.

Like I said, I've got one job that gets me 70% of the way there, but there is little-to-no-chance of going full time, so I was hoping the Guard, since I was considering it for other reasons anyway, would count for that last bit.

I have contacted the people at Direct Loans and they all say that two jobs count, so long as they are "public service," and meet the time requirements of full-time equivalent, but in reading the statute and getting feedback here, it seems the only time you qualify is when you get mobilized or go active duty.

Comment

Working...
          X