Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saluting while walking with another officer

Originally posted by OCSAMAGrad View Post
    This is the only thing remotely I could find that would qualify (I think)...And where that senior person is the same rank as the approaching officer, this would void the need to call to attention and salute. What are your thoughts? Any objections, arguments, gripes or complaints?

3-21.5 (Drill and Ceremony)
    Appendix A (Saluting)
    Paragraph A-5 (b)
    b. Not in Formation. On the approach of an officer, a group of individuals not in
    formation is called to Attention by the first person noticing the officer, and all come sharply
    to Attention and salute. This action is to be taken at approximately 6 paces away from the
    officer, or the closest point of approach. Individuals participating in games, and members of
    work details, do not salute. The individual in charge of a work detail, if not actively engaged,
    salutes and acknowledges Salutes for the entire detail. A unit resting alongside a road does
    not come to Attention upon the approach of an officer; however, if the officer addresses an
    individual (or group), the individual (or group) comes to Attention and remains at Attention
    (unless otherwise ordered) until the termination of the conversation, at which time the
    individual (or group) salutes the officer.
    How did your state manage to send you to so many CCCs? Wish my state would do so.

Comment

I CM through BOLC, OD through CCC and once I hit CPT the OD makes me LG. so one CCC gave me all these. I did some pre-planning and got the approval of my BC before I got the reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by OCSAMAGrad View Post
        I CM through BOLC, OD through CCC and once I hit CPT the OD makes me LG. so one CCC gave me all these. I did some pre-planning and got the approval of my BC before I got the reservation.
        Oh I did some "pre-planning" too. I wanted to attend the MCCC-RC once I hit 1LT (which should be at the end of this month) but our state is broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
          As a Sergeant walking with a Captain and another Captain walked by, I would salute.

As a Sergeant walking with a Captain and a Lieutenant walked by, the Lieutenant would salute the Captain and I would not salute BUT give the greeting of the day.

As a Sergeant walking with a Captain and a Major+ walked by, we both would salute.

If you're walking with a CPT and salute another CPT, to me your disrespecting the CPT you're with. It would be the same as if you called the room to attention for a CPT and when a CPT was already.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Oh I did some "pre-planning" too. I wanted to attend the MCCC-RC once I hit 1LT (which should be at the end of this month) but our state is broke.
            1LT IN NJARNG
            So which is it?

You're a LT; it's not a show stopper if you don't attend CCC right away. You've got quite a few years. If you're going to rant about the NG, you should probably figure out how the system works as most of your rants are silly. This being one of them, the RC CCC is half distance learning so your state doesn't need money. Again you're a LT who really doesn’t need it, I’d understand if you were a senior CPT.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              If you're walking with a CPT and salute another CPT, to me your disrespecting the CPT you're with. It would be the same as if you called the room to attention for a CPT and when a CPT was already.
              Check mate.

Comment

For the first time in a long time (or maybe ever) we agree on something. The unfortunate part here is when you are the NCO walking with the CPT and execute this train of thought and the CPT's don't agree with you. I wish they would write something into the regs articulating what to do in these "what if" scenarios.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZenBkKTJW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMADg...eature=related
                  Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 25th, 2012, 04:54 AM.

Comment

wow my whole post disappeared. I stated that calling a room to attention for a Company Commander is different than rendering the proper courtesies for another officer of the same grade outside. Similar to the level of respect of a 1SG compared to a MSG.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      wow my whole post disappeared. I stated that calling a room to attention for a Company Commander is different than rendering the proper courtesies for another officer of the same grade outside. Similar to the level of respect of a 1SG compared to a MSG.
                      It is similiar yes, and in your unit this underlying additional respect would be healthy for a unit to observe, but a CPT who is a commander does not neccessarily outrank a CPT who is not a commander. They are both CPTs.

A 1SG clearly outranks a MSG...always.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        It is similiar yes, and in your unit this underlying additional respect would be healthy for a unit to observe, but a CPT who is a commander does not neccessarily outrank a CPT who is not a commander. They are both CPTs.

Well today I am walking on my FOB (salute zone) and I see an officer coming that is junior to the officer I am walking with and I salute him.
                        Then I run into the DFAC and run into my fellow officer buddy who was a drill sergeant and ask him that question.

He smiles and said "when in doubt....." but then he elaborates that its the one of the ISMs that the Army has drifted to over the ages similar to how the proper way to issue the command "fall in" than is conducted today. He said in his 16 years active duty he has done the same thing as I when I saluted the junior officer while walking with a senior officer.

Hey, I found it weird when I came into the Army and had to deal with saluting indoors.

I also prefer my 22 years pay that I have now (if I was a MSG) than many of the 16 years 1SGs that we have in our BN. And I am not going to dive into the TIG thing that people argue to say they outrank someone haha.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          Well today I am walking on my FOB (salute zone) and I see an officer coming that is junior to the officer I am walking with and I salute him.
                          Then I run into the DFAC and run into my fellow officer buddy who was a drill sergeant and ask him that question.

He smiles and said "when in doubt....." but then he elaborates that its the one of the ISMs that the Army has drifted to over the ages similar to how the proper way to issue the command "fall in" than is conducted today. He said in his 16 years active duty he has done the same thing as I when I saluted the junior officer while walking with a senior officer.

Hey, I found it weird when I came into the Army and had to deal with saluting indoors.

I also prefer my 22 years pay that I have now (if I was a MSG) than many of the 16 years 1SGs that we have in our BN. And I am not going to dive into the TIG thing that people argue to say they outrank someone haha.
                          Everyone wants to say the "when in doubt" scenario to this. I equate that the same as saying "I don't know the answer". The problem with the "when in doubt" and this scenario, is the butt chewing can come from either side. The officer you didn't salute, or the officer you were walking with and just felt offended.

And if you were implying I was referring to TIG, I wasn't. A 1SG outranks a MSG, regardless of time, always.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post

A commander is always senior to a non commander of the same rank (or so I've always been taught).

Comment

A commander is always senior to a non commander of the same rank (or so I've always been taught).
                              Maybe in theory, or if they are both in the same command...but a company command is one of many jobs you rotate thru before moving onto other staff level positions (which I am sure you know being an officer).

So I find it difficult to qualify a CPT company commander to be senior to a CPT staff officer who may or may not be senior in time, DOR, possibly an ex company commander, and on their way to Major....they are both CPT's in the eyes of the average sevice member.
                              Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; March 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I'm a fan of the old school method I was taught ... "If you see the brass, you gotta kiss the ***"

Comment

Working...
                                X