X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Commission (Milper 10-284?)

I wanted to check and see if anyone knew whether Milper 10-284 regarding direct appointments had been extended or was still in effect. I am a professional engineer and I am currently attempting to join the guard. Does anyone know if this or any other avenues are available for a direct commission. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Re: Direct Commission (Milper 10-284?)

The message has expired and it required a masters degree. Plus with the cutbacks; I doubt something similar will be disseminated in the future but these were the ceiling caps for the future.

DC TO CPT FY 11 CEILING FY 12 CEILING FY 13 CEILING
    ARMY RESERVE 20 15 15
    ACTIVE ARMY 20 15 15

THIS MESSAGE IS EFFECTIVE UPON RELEASE AND WILL EXPIRE NLT 31 DECEMBER 2011

Milper Message Number
    10-284

Proponent
    AHRC-OPD-A

Title
    DIRECT APPOINTMENT TO CAPTAIN PROGRAM

...Issued: [01 Nov 10]...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION 1215.17, EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR APPOINTMENT OF RESERVE COMPONENT OFFICERS TO A GRADE ABOVE FIRST LIEUTENANT OR LIEUTENANT (JUNIOR GRADE), 12 SEPTEMBER 2002.

B. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION 1304.26, QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR ENLISTMENT, APPOINTMENT AND INDUCTION, 11 JULY 2007.

C. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION 1310.02, APPOINTING COMMISSIONED OFFICERS, 8 MAY 2007.

D. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION1312.03, SERVICE CREDIT FOR COMMISSIONED OFFICERS, 6 OCTOBER 2006.

E. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTIVE 1315.07, MILITARY PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENTS, 12 JANUARY 2005.

F. ARMY REGULATION 40-501, STANDARDS OF MEDICAL FITNESS, 14 DECEMBER 2007.

G. ARMY REGULATION 135-100, APPOINTMENT OF COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND WARRANT OFFICERS OF THE ARMY, 1 SEPTEMBER 1994.

H. ARMY REGULATION 601-100, APPOINTMENT OF COMMISSIONED AND WARRANT OFFICERS IN THE REGULAR ARMY, 21 NOVEMBER 2006.

I. DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY PAMPHLET 600-3, COMMISSIONED OFFICER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND CAREER MANAGEMENT, 1 FEBRUARY 2010.

J. DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY PAMPHLET 611-21, MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL CLASSIFICATION AND STRUCTURE, 22 JANUARY 2007.

K. NATIONAL GUARD REGULATION 600-100, COMMISSIONED OFFICERS - FEDERAL RECOGNITION AND RELATED PERSONNEL ACTIONS, 15 APRIL 1994.

L. MEMORANDUM HQDA, ASA (M&RA), SAMR, 4 AUGUST 2010, SUBJECT: DIRECT COMMISSION TO CAPTAIN FIVE YEAR PILOT PROGRAM IMPLEMENTATION GUIDANCE

1. THIS MESSAGE IS EFFECTIVE UPON RELEASE AND WILL EXPIRE NLT 31 DECEMBER 2011.

2. PURPOSE: THE PURPOSE OF THIS MILPER MESSAGE IS TO PROVIDE IMPLEMENTING GUIDANCE TO ALL ARMY COMPONENTS AND ARMY COMMANDS REGARDING PROCESSES TO BE USED FOR THOSE NON MILITARY APPLICANTS (SEE PARA 5) APPLYING FOR A DIRECT COMMISSION AS A CAPTAIN IN SPECIFIC SHORTAGE BRANCHES OR FUNCTIONAL AREAS. THE GOAL OF THIS PROGRAM IS TO CONTRIBUTE TO MEETING THE OFFICER ACCESSION MISSION BY FILLING CRITICAL OFFICER SKILL SHORTAGES WITH NON-MILITARY APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS SPECIFIC SKILLS. THE APPOINTMENT WOULD BE BASED ON ACQUIRED CIVILIAN SKILLS/CERTIFICATIONS AND CIVILIAN EDUCATION WHICH RELATE DIRECTLY TO THE BRANCH OR FUNCTIONAL AREA IN WHICH THE APPLICANT WOULD BE APPOINTED. THIS PROGRAM IS INTENDED TO BE A FIVE YEAR PILOT AND WILL BE UPDATED VIA MILPER MESSAGES EACH FY THE PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT.

3. CRITICAL SHORTAGES AND SKILLS REQUIRED AS DEFINED BY THIS PROGRAM ARE (SUBJECT TO REVISION BASED ON CHANGES IN OFFICER STRENGTHS):

A. CHEMICAL: CHEMICAL ENGINEERING; NUCLEAR ENGINEERING; CHEMISTRY; BIOLOGY; PHYSICS; EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT; HOMELAND DEFENSE; INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS; DIPLOMACY; HAZMAT; HEALTH PHYSICS.

B. ENGINEER: MASTERS DEGREE IN ENGINEERING OR ABET (ACCREDITATION BOARD FOR ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY) ACCREDITED BACCALAUREATE DEGREE WITH A PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER (PE) CERTIFICATION IN CIVIL ENGINEERING; ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING; MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING; STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING (SEE PARA 4A).

C. FINANCE: FINANCE; ACCOUNTING; ECONOMICS; MATHEMATICS OR BACCALAUREATE DEGREE AND CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT OR CERTIFIED DEFENSE FINANCIAL MANAGER; MUST HAVE COMPLETED A MINIMUM OF SIX ACADEMIC SEMESTER HOURS IN ACCOUNTING OR FINANCE (SEE PARA 4A).

D. MILITARY INTELLIGENCE: INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS; POLITICAL SCIENCE; NON-AMERICAN HISTORY; AREA STUDIES; COMPUTER AND INFORMATION SCIENCES; BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE; CRIMINAL JUSTICE. APPLICANTS FOR MILITARY INTELLIGENCE MUST HAVE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING: A SPECIAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, SINGLE SCOPE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION (SBI/SSBI), OR A PERIODIC REINVESTIGATION WITHIN THE LAST FIVE YEARS AND BE ELIGIBLE FOR A TOP SECRET CLEARANCE WITH SCI ACCESS PRIOR TO MAKING APPLICATION FOR THIS PROGRAM.

E. INFORMATION OPERATIONS: ADVERTISING; CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY; AREA STUDIES; BROADCASTING; MASS COMMUNICATIONS; CIVIL GOVERNANCE; PUBLIC DIPLOMACY; POLITICAL SCIENCE; NON-AMERICAN HISTORY; INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS; JOURNALISM; MARKETING; PSYCHOLOGY; PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION/MANAGEMENT.

F. SPACE OPERATIONS: SPACE OPERATIONS; SPACE SYSTEMS OPERATIONS; SPACE ENGINEERING; ASTRO-PHYSICS; ASTRO-DYNAMICS; GEOSPATIAL INFORMATION SERVICES; AERO-SPACE ENGINEERING.

G. ACQUISITION: BUSINESS; ENGINEERING; SCIENCE.

H. CIVIL AFFAIRS (USAR ONLY): MASTERS DEGREE MUST BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE FOLLOWING SKILLS: EMERGENCY / DISASTER MANAGEMENT OR PLANNING , ECONOMICS, FINANCE, BUSINESS, INTL BUSINESS, EDUCATION, EDUCATION ADMINISTRATION , ENGINEERING ANY DISCIPLINE, TRANSPORTATION , CRIMINOLOGY, FIRE SCIENCE, POLICE SCIENCE, CORRECTIONS MANAGEMENT, PUBLIC ADMIN , COMPUTER SCIENCE, COMMUNICATIONS MNGT, AGRICULTURE ANTHROPOLOGY, CULTURAL AFFAIRS, REGIONAL STUDIES, RELIGION, ANTHROPOLOGICAL GEOGRAPHY , FOREIGN LANGUAGE (CAT III/IV ONLY), LIBRARY SCIENCE, POLITICAL SCIENCE, HISTORY.

I. PSYCHOLOGICAL OPERATIONS (USAR ONLY): ADVERTISING; CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY; AREA STUDIES; BROADCASTING; MASS COMMUNICATIONS; CIVIL GOVERNANCE; PUBLIC DIPLOMACY; POLITICAL SCIENCE; NON-AMERICAN HISTORY; INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS; JOURNALISM; MARKETING; PSYCHOLOGY; PUBLIC ADMINISTARTION.

4. ELIGIBILITY:

A. MUST HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE OR HIGHER FROM AN ACREDITED INSTITUTION IN A FIELD CORRESPONDING TO THE BRANCH/SKILL FOR WHICH APPLYING (SEE PARA 3A -I).
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 20th, 2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I interpreted 3B to mean either a masters or a bachelors with PE certification. Doesn't matter if it is expired though. Thank you for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by craigsan View Post
        Thanks. I guess I interpreted 3B to mean either a masters or a bachelors with PE certification. Doesn't matter if it is expired though. Thank you for your response.
        You are right. But I remember a soldier talking to an AMEDD recruiter who was within the age requirements in the message but was told he was too old by the recruiter. My advice is to personally talk to a recruiter.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I have been talking to a recruiter. Got a call back today and he tried every avenue he could, but, I am 37..... cutoff now just to get in at all is 35, no exceptions and no waivers.

Comment

Hate to see anyone look outside of the ARNG, but the Air National Guard is still accepting non-prior service up to age 40, and they have a Civil Engineering branch. (CE).

Regards

Comment

Thank you for the info. I wanted to go ARNG because I currently work for the ARNG in a civilian capacity, but I will check into air. Does anyone here know if there are any direct commissioning options for professional engineers in the Air Guard? Just trying to check all of my options. Thanks.
              Last edited by craigsan; March 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Please verify this with an Air National Guard Recruiter, but AMS/Basic Officer Training is required for Civil Engineer Officers in the Air Force/ANG. ie it's not a "direct commission" such as that of a Lawyer, physician ect. (Who would only attent COT). However, a ABET accredited Engineering degree IS required to commission into CE. I'd contact an Air Guard recruiter in your state as soon as practicable.

Comment

I tried to call the ANG recruiter for my area, but he is out this week. I did a little research and I believe you are right, going to Officer Training School is the route I would take. However, I am a little confused about whether or not I can. While the age maximum is 40 to join; to get into OTS you have to be commissioned before your 35th bithday.... so I wonder if that means I could join but I can never be an officer?

Comment

That may pose more of a problem. It depends of the Air Guard is entertaining age waivers. It's unfortunate in some respects that the respective services have such varied induction regulations, AND that those qualifications (ethical, educational, medical(age)), can change regularly based on...well, end strength is the military term, but it may be better phrased as desperation. When our numbers are low and we have critical shortages, the criteria become more forgiving. The age to commission in the Army Guard (correct me if I'm wrong forum members) is still 42 (with some exceptions for chaplaincy, ANC, MC ect), but if you are non-prior service the maximum age you can attend basic training is 35. Because 09S (OCS Candidates) need to enlist and attend basic first, this really puts their max age at 35. Ostensibly a 41 year old prior service (Army, Marines) could still commission by age 42. The potential "good" news is that you're still only 37. There is SOME potential that either the Army or Air Guard enlistment/comissioning standards will experience changes yet again prior to you being "elderly". It is unfortunate that some otherwise excellent people don't have the revelation to enlist until they are pushing the barriers. Frankly, the Engineering Branch could use some more certified professional engineers.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help. If something changes in the regulations I will be in a position to act on it since I work for the ARNG and my superiors are aware of my desire to enlist. The recruiter we have contacted has assured me that if anything changes in the future he will notify me as well.

Comment

I looked into both the Air Guard and Army Guard before submitting my application for Army Guard JAG. I just turned 40 the Air Guard would not grant a waiver but the Army did, but it is a speciality. Good luck on getting in.

Comment

Working...
                        X