X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Accelerated OCS (Alabama '12)

Graduated on 16MAR2012 as OCS Class 56A.

Any questions?

Re: Winter Accelerated OCS (Alabama '12)

Strong work! "Winter" was pretty hot down there!!!!

Comment

I start Phase 0 in September and leave for Alabama in January. How was the weather generally? I see atxf4i's comment, is that sarcastic? Thanks.

Comment

"Winter" down here in 'Bama was exceptionally warm this year. There was one week or so of freezing weather, but for the most part you wouldn't have needed anything but a regular set of ACUs to be comfortable. Don't count on that every year, though. It may not snow very often, but it's still cold enough to bring some cold weather gear. I've never needed a parka by any stretch, but some good long-johns and the Gore-tex are often helpful if you're spending a long time outdoors.

Comment

I helped with some admin duties yesterday for my state's pre-ocs for the traditional and summer AOCS (paperwork, TA-50, etc.). I, personally, am not going to AOCS until January but had a chance to talk to the Michigan AOCS candidates who just graduated in March as well.

They mentioned something about one of the 'final tests', a squad leader task, where you squad leader and it is 'pass' or 'fail' and that one MUST pass to graduate.

Could anyone from AOCS explain to me a little more about what exactly this test is over and what an OC is graded on? Is it a mock mission in the field?

I couldn't fin ant specifics on it in my OC Guide.

Thanks

Comment

Is there any benefit to doing Accelerated OCS as opposed to Federal OCS (aside from saving time)? Was it extremely intensive, or did you feel like there was a reasonable amount of time to get yourself up to par?

Comment

Chapter 8 of your OC Guide covers each mandatory training requirement broken down by phase. The Leadership position as referenced in Phase 3 line e. is conducted during the FTX portion of Phase 3. (The FTX is nearly all of phase 3 frankly other than the combat water survival test). Colloquially known as Squad Lanes, you will be required to conduct a mission using an OPORD and TLPs. You will be well drilled for this prior to getting to test day(s). If you fail, you will have another opportunity to pass. Depending on time constraints it MAY be during the Platoon Lane portion of the FTX. If memory serves, a few unforunate OCs had to do this during my class, but over all, don't sweat the load. If you make it to phase 3, the Squad Lanes can actually be a good deal of fun. My advise, read your OC Guide until the pages fall out of it from over use, D&C, and read FM-1; FM-3.0 and Army Leadership. "It shall be done!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                My advise, read your OC Guide until the pages fall out of it from over use, D&C, and read FM-1; FM-3.0 and Army Leadership. "It shall be done!"
                I own every single FM manual listed in the OC Guide (and then some) and have read the D&C manual & OC Guide more times than I can count, and also the 'Operations' FM a couple times(I think it is 100-5 [1993])...is that what they NOW refer to as 3.0?

I also have the 6-22 Leadership manual that I have read; is that now/also referred to as FM 1?

I just want to make sure I am at least studying the right information/Field Manuals.

Thanks

Comment

Chris, it sounds like you have already adopted the mindset for success. Additionally, I noticed you're in the MIARNG. Michigan runs an excellent phase 0 and therefore has some of the 'strongest' candidates. Some of the TAC Officers that hail from Michigan are above reproach. In any event, just keep doing what you are doing. Stay in prime shape (aim for a 300+ on your diagnostic PT tests), memorize the ****** chow hall and reporting proceedures and the entire Chain of Command until you can do it in your sleep upside down and blindfolded. Being a leader isn't about any of these things specifically of course. It's the gauntlett that is used as a tool to challenge you to live the BE-KNOW-DO concept of leadership.

Comment

Actually, that remindsme...I have a questions about the Chain of Command. Am I to assume that from State AG, State Asst AG, Army...that I should know Alabama's? I work with Michigan's in my civilian job, but I am assuming they would want me to know theirs. Also how do I find out who the RTI Commander, Battalion Commander, Senior Platoon Trainer Officer, Company Commander, First Sgt, and Platoon Trainer Officer/NCO's are?

Or will that be more of a crash course upon arrival?

Comment

MI TACs are the best (2 have served with 2nd Ranger Bat @ the other has a tab)
                      ! YOU will be fine... keep your head up! We were one of the most squared away states at phase 3. They prepared me well for BOLC also (which I just Finished a month ago).
                      Last edited by cougar54; April 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Your Platoon TAC, CO, and Senior TAC will have to wait till you show up. It will be self evident. The same will go for the 2nd Battalion Commander and the 200th Regimental Commander. (Used to be LTC Compton and COL Keith Smith but who knows once you get there.) The Deputy AG and TAG are on the Alabama ARNG website. The rest are easy to find as well, if you don't already know them. I'd list them out for you, but half the battle of learning is searching out the information yourself. None of it is "testable" It is just something TAC Officers will randomly ask you because it's knowledge you are responsible for.

Comment

I know the others, just didn't want to rattle of my (Michigan) AG & Asst AG and up paying for it....

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            Your Platoon TAC, CO, and Senior TAC will have to wait till you show up. It will be self evident. The same will go for the 2nd Battalion Commander and the 200th Regimental Commander. (Used to be LTC Compton and COL Keith Smith but who knows once you get there.) The Deputy AG and TAG are on the Alabama ARNG website. The rest are easy to find as well, if you don't already know them. I'd list them out for you, but half the battle of learning is searching out the information yourself. None of it is "testable" It is just something TAC Officers will randomly ask you because it's knowledge you are responsible for.
                            COL Keith is no longer there.

Comment

I noticed in the video of 56A that just graduated (they showed it at the May OC's pre-ocs day this last Saturday) that there is a very small ratio of females to males.

May I ask what the completion ratio (roughly) of females to males is and did any females graduate? If females drop out or are released, what is generally the reason? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X