Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winter Accelerated OCS (Alabama '12)

The male to female ratio is not unlike the population sample found army wide, about 12-15%. Interestingly, in my class 55A, the distinguished honor graduate was female, and what is more, she was an 09S. After reflecting on it, I think the women who graduated are generally stronger leaders than their male counterparts. That is not to say there are not excellent male candidates, I just think proportionally the women have a larger amount of highly motivated, ideologically dedicated soldiers who make the decision to attend OCS. Of course, I am simply making an unverified assertion. Please disregard if stastical inference proves different.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMang View Post
      Graduated on 16MAR2012 as OCS Class 56A.

Any questions?
      JRMang and ALCON,
      How are you, and thanks for offering to answer questions regarding Alabama AOCS Im boarding in the next few months to ship out Jan 2013.
      For night nav, are you permitted to use red-light headlamps (ie. Petzl, etc.), and what is the training schedule like on Saturdays and Sundays?
      Again, thanks.

Hank

Comment

Hank,

For our class, class 56A we were not permitted to use any sort of headlamps...as far as the training schedule goes you can expect to be awake and moving from 0500 until 2300 everyday including Sat and Sun. The program is not easy but on that final day when you graduate the feeling is unlike any other.

Comment

Hey! I recently graduated BCT at Ft. Sill and I'll be headed to AOCS this January. I had a couple questions for the more experienced.

-Should I bring a laptop? I've heard yes and no. What are your guys' opinions?
          -I have a wife and 2 yr old boy. Should we be prepping for the same minimal communication that we had in BCT or will cell phones be allowed more often?

I appreciate any info or opinions. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BensZ28 View Post
            Hey! I recently graduated BCT at Ft. Sill and I'll be headed to AOCS this January. I had a couple questions for the more experienced.

-I have a wife and 2 yr old boy. Should we be prepping for the same minimal communication that we had in BCT or will cell phones be allowed more often?

AOCS is conducted at a few different schoolhouses in the US, and they are not entirely the same. Do you know where you are going?

Comment

I went to summer AOCS in South Dakota. We weren't allowed to use a laptop. You really do not have time for that in AOCS.

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
              AOCS is conducted at a few different schoolhouses in the US, and they are not entirely the same. Do you know where you are going?
              True. Something may have changed, but there was only 1 school house for "Winter" AOCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                I went to summer AOCS in South Dakota. We weren't allowed to use a laptop. You really do not have time for that in AOCS.

True. Something may have changed, but there was only 1 school house for "Winter" AOCS.
                Huh. I guess that could be entirely possible. Well, then, to the OP...you certainly won't need a laptop. AMA believes in 81/2 X 11 paper with pen and pencil. No seriously. No electronics of any kind.

Comment

Random thread thoughts:

- Winter AOCS is only conducted at THE AMA!
                  - Do not bring your laptop.
                  - You should SPECIFICALLY plan on talking to your wife and bundle of joy 2 or 3 times for about 5 minutes each time.
                  (As in the whole 8 weeks)
                  - I usually couldn't even keep up with what day it was in phase 1 or 3 (I was traditional). They are all ~20 hour days.

Comment

Thank you for the quick responses. I will not bother getting our laptop ready and I'll let the Mrs. know about the minimal communication.

I'm not sure where I'll be at. According to our National Guard website AOCS will be held at either Ft. Meade, Ft. McClellan, or Ft. Indiantown Gap.

It sounds like people stress the land Nav stuff quite a bit. Any other areas that stood out to those that have completed AOCS?

Comment

Thank you for the quick responses. I will not bother getting our laptop ready and I'll let the Mrs. know about the minimal communication.

I'm not sure where I'll be at. According to our National Guard website AOCS will be held at either Ft. Meade, Ft. McClellan, or Ft. Indiantown Gap.

It sounds like people stress the land Nav stuff quite a bit. Any other areas that stood out to those that have completed AOCS?
                      It's not that hard. It's a BOBO class compared to IBOLC (which isn't all that hard either). Failure at land nav in either AOCS and IBOLC will earn you a no-go and a free airplane ride back home or an extended stay in a swamp.

Comment

So I also go to AOCS in Jan. 2014,
                        I am a hunter so I don't think Land Nav will be a weak spot for me.
                        Other than printing out the FM's what other things should I be reading up on for an 09S like myself?
                        I heard Drill and Ceremony, but it is hard to fully grasp it when you are reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
                          Other than printing out the FM's what other things should I be reading up on for an 09S like myself?
                          I heard Drill and Ceremony, but it is hard to fully grasp it when you are reading it.
                          Have you ever opened an FM 3-25.6 and checked to see if you used any techniques remotely close to what is in this manual when you went hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
                            Land Nav tracking Bambi is considerably different than Land Nav with a compass and looking for a point. Look at this site and bone up on military land nav. It's a good place to start and practice...

Comment

You need to be comfortable doing D+C for a platoon (marching, formations, cadence) at least and you should know the positions for PSG, PL, 1SG, CO, XO for standing in company formations. Memorize the hell out of all the little courtesies like the DFAC procedures and classroom procedures and things will be much easier for you once you hit leadership. I used to silently recite all the lines every day during the procedures along with the leadership.

Mongoose, didn't know you were another 55A grad. Fun times!

Comment

Working...
                              X