X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Marine Colonel too old/too late?

24 years in the Marine Corps; 12 active duty, 12 reserve, 3 mobilized. Graduate of the US Army War College resident program; promoted to Colonel and pushed out of my billet at the Pentagon - so moved to the IRR 2 years ago. There are very few drilling reserve billets for O6s. I'm a JAG and they prohibit a Colonel from filling a Lieutenant Colonel billet. Since I have 6 years left before I hit 30 years of service, would the National Guard take me? Or am I too old and too senior. Thanks - just looking to serve and build retirement points etc. Miss the comaraderie too. Thanks for any information.

Re: Is a Marine Colonel too old/too late?

What is your age?

Comment

47 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottP View Post
        47 years old.
        12 active puts you at 35 but you are in the IRR. Do you know LTC Feeney?

Comment

Knew a Jim Feeney at Headquarters Marine Corps in the late 90s.

Comment

Have you looked at drilling for points ect in the IRR?

If you were to move to the Army, the IRR, IMA or USAR would probably better a better fit just due to their structure.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              Have you looked at drilling for points ect in the IRR?

If you were to move to the Army, the IRR, IMA or USAR would probably better a better fit just due to their structure.
              Trying to join the ARNG as an O-6 is almost impossible, even more so from another branch of service.
              Last edited by Polo08816; March 12th, 2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

I saw the post title, and was fixing to write a simple post about how hopeless this was. Now I read that the officer is JAG, which makes it slightly less impossible. There may be a small state out there that has so few JAGs as to not have anyone eligible to serve in their O6 JAG billet.

Gut-check questions:
                1. Are you willing to call a dozen states as part of your self-directed treasure hunt, with no assurance of success?
                2. Are you willing to serve in the Air Guard as well as the Army Guard?
                3. Are you willing to put together your own packet? A state small enough not to have a JAG O6 will probably not have a great deal of institutional experience putting together packets for USMC IRR transfers.
                4. Are you willing to drill in a far away state? Just how far?

If I haven't dissuaded you thus far, then I recommend contacting the chief JAG at National Guard Bureau, and explain that you're willing to serve in the Army or Air Guard in what States.

Based on my database query (which is only a starting point), look first at the District of Columbia, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Best wishes.
                Last edited by matthew.ritchie; March 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM.

Comment

E
                  Knew a Jim Feeney at Headquarters Marine Corps in the late 90s.
                  That is him sir. Small Corps. PM sent.

Comment

Yes, that is him. He was JAG in the Marine Reserves and we worked together. Small Corps.

Comment

Like #4 stated. That JAG LTC lived in CT and drilled in DC.

Comment

Thanks to all for the info and responses. I work for an airline so I can travel anywhere - used to go to the Pentagon for drills. I am busy doing correspondence courses to get my points for the year, but would rather be drilling somewhere - and I'm not averse to an interservice transfer to the Guard.

Does anyone RETIRE from one service and THEN enter the guard. I can only imagine the administrative headaches in any of this.

Thanks to all for the info and help.

Comment

nter the guard. I can only imagine the administrative headaches in any of this.
                          Based on what I remember last time this was asked.......next to impossible.

Comment

Thanks to all for the info and responses. I work for an airline so I can travel anywhere - used to go to the Pentagon for drills. I am busy doing correspondence courses to get my points for the year, but would rather be drilling somewhere - and I'm not averse to an interservice transfer to the Guard.

Does anyone RETIRE from one service and THEN enter the guard. I can only imagine the administrative headaches in any of this.

I think LTC Ritchie was spot on when he recommended contacting the NGB SJA. Knowing how the Guard works and being part of JAG myself, I think that advice is more then spot on. You would need some inside help to make this happen.

Comment

I tried to bring in a retired CW4 and the standards you have to meet are nearly the same as civilian walking off of the street, so I'd have to agree with SteveLord that it's almost impossible. Maintaining your IRR status will make any transition much easier into the Army USAR or NG.

Comment

Working...
                              X