X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request transfer to IRR after 2x passed over for Major Board

I was wondering if I can request transfer to the IRR after being boarded twice and passed over for Major?

I'd not finished my advanced course.

I took the last advance course in 2006 after returning from Iraq. I passed academically, but did not pass the APFT. Shortly afterward, I received notification that I was DA board selected for promotion to Major under condition of attaining my advance course.

By now, I had no option to retake the course, it is now the Captains Career Course.

I went on another mobilization. When I came back in 2008, my unit was deactivated and I was tossed in a break room with the remaining 1SGs of my unit and treated like ******* stepchildren by our higher command. No one could answer me when I asked for direction on where to start on the Captains Career Course.

In 2010, the higher command finally put me in one of the empty slots that I had requested and was qualified for. I did not realize I was boarded that year and passed over. In 2011 I was boarded again and passed over. I suspect because of the military education requirements, since I've been active in my unit.

Between 2009 and 2012, I've had a rough time moving from NJ to VA and retraining for a new job, getting married and having my father pass away. I commute over 200 miles to drill each month.

Adding to the confusion, requirements for the Captains Career Course also changed. So it was difficult to pursue that.

Allowing my DA Photo to expire in 2011 probably did not help either. I recently got a letter informing me that I will be seperated into the Retired Reserve by 30 April 2012.

I'm a captain with 27 years (13 of them as a Captain - yes, I've been under the ROPMA radar for a while).

Many doors appear closed to me (Warrant, ING, etc.). I was prior enlisted, so I could always continue to serve after resigning my commission and going enlisted.

One of the references in my separation letter is - 10 USC 14513 - Sec. 14513. Failure of selection for promotion: transfer, retirement, or discharge

which reads:

Each reserve officer of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps who is in an active status and whose removal from an active status or from a reserve active-status list is required by section 14504, 14505, or 14506 of this title shall (unless the officer's separation is deferred or the officer is continued in an active status under another provision of law) not later than the date specified in those sections - (1) be transferred to an inactive status if the Secretary concerned determines that the officer has skills which may be required to meet the mobilization needs of the officer's armed force; (2) be transferred to the Retired Reserve if the officer is qualified for such transfer and does not request (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary concerned) not to be transferred to the Retired Reserve; or (3) if the officer is not transferred to an inactive status or to the Retired Reserve, be discharged from the officer's reserve appointment.

I was wondering if I can request transfer to IRR if that applies to article 1 of the above. Someone told me I have to be boarded to go into IRR?

In the IRR, I can continue to pursue my military education and hopefully in the future, (after this RIF stuff dies down) find a unit to accept me when they once again find themselves short after the culling.

I'm open to any advice.
    Last edited by SixSignalBlackBelt; March 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM.

Re: Request transfer to IRR after 2x passed over for Major Board

If he doesn't find your thread, send a PM to LTC Matthew Ritchie.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
      If he doesn't find your thread, send a PM to LTC Matthew Ritchie.

Good luck.
      Looks like the post was deleted. Failboat in this post too strong to be displayed?

Comment

Just like in the real military world; officer issues are handled in a different manner. Keep it off the grid.

Comment

I have a lot to say here after reading it.... But I'll leave it to Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. The winds of fail were hurricane force.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Looks like the post was deleted. Failboat in this post too strong to be displayed?
            It was there originally, then went to needing Mod Approval. Weird.

Comment

OP, you're going to run into the same issues in the IRR and that is not having completed your OES.

Not to kick you when you're down but how did you not know about your OES or the fact your board packet opened?

Comment

If you need the number or the email for the NJ OSM, PM me.

In the end, the research that you end up doing or the issues you end up running into will be relevant in a 5+ years for LTs today. Let us know how it goes and best of luck.

Mods, can we move this thread to the "Officers" sub-forum.
                Last edited by Polo08816; March 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

It is done. Thanks.

Comment

I hate replying to these types of messages. They start with a long, complicated story. They attract drive-by insults, and obviously unhelpful advice about what someone should have done six years ago. Then they end with barracks lawyer sharpshooting my advice with some one-in-a-million waiver story. Yeah, the SecDef himself can write a waiver for this condition. Good luck with that. I'm sure he's got plenty of time to deal with this sort of thing. I don't sell lottery tickets, I give realistic advice.

Anyway, here goes nothing.

As a 2x nonselect, your officer career is over. Talk to a local recruit about resuming your enlisted career, and continuing service. You will retire at the highest grade honorably held, which for you is captain.

If you have exceptional qualifications in a warrant officer career field, your state may request a waiver for you to become a warrant officer. Unless you have an excellent background to overcome the nonselection, don't bother even to ask. Waivers are far harder to get now that the force has remained full for a few years. Address this issue to your state OSM, WOSM, or CCWO. Best wishes.

Comment

Yes, I expected a bunch of drive-by potshots by knuckleheads, but I've got a thick-skin.

I'd seen it coming, but I was slow to action because I had other priorities. Life often gets in the way when you're in the guard.

I'd been on the fence about getting out since we got back from Iraq. Many of my peers chose to get out back then, but I told myself, I'd stay until we got Bin Laden.

It had amazed me that I was under the radar for so long. And part of me refused to take this Captains Career Course thing from scratch. Especially when no one could tell me what courses I needed to take.

They say time makes the heart grow fonder. I no longer curse the days when I woke up to crawl out of a wet, frozen sleeping bag.

My unit presented me with a retirement party and cake last week. That presents a feeling of finality to it. My wife and friends are also urging me to just retire. 27 years of Active and Guard time is a nice retirement, but it's hard to let go. Over the decades, I'd seen dozens of hard-charging LTs, a bunch of CPTs, a few MAJs and hundreds of enlisted bite the dust with less than 20. So I still consider myself luckier than 97 percent of the guard.

I'll request the transfer to IRR. If it goes through, I'll take it. If not - then it is what it is. I've completed all the training for my new civilian job, so I have all the time in the world to get the military education taken care of in the IRR.

I've also talked to some Officers and NCOs in other units and they may have some slots available to me if I choose to go that route.

Thanks for the input folks! I appreciate the collective knowledge of this site.

I know some folks get really uptight about getting promoted and acquiring more years because they are counting on that retirement as their only means of subsistance. My advice, and this is working for me:
                      - Don't spend your drill pay. Starting as an E-1 save every penny and put it into a ROTH IRA. You will have over a million dollars by age 60 guaranteed through the power of compound interest.
                      - If you're single and being deployed - BUY a home! You get more financial benefits
                      - Save your deployment money and buy more real estate! My peers bought cars and Nintendos and such. I bought 2 condos. I now have 3 properties that are generating rent and paying off the mortgages. By the time I retire, those properties will be paid off and the rent will be added to my retirement.

Rank-wise, I may not have made O-7, but my combined retirement will put me up there financially.

Comment

If you need the number or the email for the NJ OSM, PM me.

In the end, the research that you end up doing or the issues you end up running into will be relevant in a 5+ years for LTs today. Let us know how it goes and best of luck.

My advice to LTs today is "Don't be in a hurry to get promoted!"

Sure, you can probably get promoted from comissioning to Captain in 6-7 years. But consider they are getting rid of brigades and deactivating units across the active and guard components. You may not have a slot to get promoted into.

The shortage of Captains and Majors caused a lot of young LTs to be promoted prematurely. The rank structure is a pyramid. Keep that in mind.

I don't see many officers who were comissioned with me around anymore. I think I had the luck of being stuck in an enlisted limbo for a few years when they got rid of the early commissioning program and I had to finish my degree before comissioning. That added more enlisted years to pad my time. (But of course, that would have given me a few more years to get my advance course done before they did away with that. So, it's a double-edged sword of things that coulda happened.)
                        Last edited by SixSignalBlackBelt; March 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Yes, I expected a bunch of drive-by potshots by knuckleheads, but I've got a thick-skin.

I'd seen it coming, but I was slow to action because I had other priorities. Life often gets in the way when you're in the guard.

I'd been on the fence about getting out since we got back from Iraq. Many of my peers chose to get out back then, but I told myself, I'd stay until we got Bin Laden.

It had amazed me that I was under the radar for so long. And part of me refused to take this Captains Career Course thing from scratch. Especially when no one could tell me what courses I needed to take.

They say time makes the heart grow fonder. I no longer curse the days when I woke up to crawl out of a wet, frozen sleeping bag.

My unit presented me with a retirement party and cake last week. That presents a feeling of finality to it. My wife and friends are also urging me to just retire. 27 years of Active and Guard time is a nice retirement, but it's hard to let go. Over the decades, I'd seen dozens of hard-charging LTs, a bunch of CPTs, a few MAJs and hundreds of enlisted bite the dust with less than 20. So I still consider myself luckier than 97 percent of the guard.

I'll request the transfer to IRR. If it goes through, I'll take it. If not - then it is what it is. I've completed all the training for my new civilian job, so I have all the time in the world to get the military education taken care of in the IRR.

I've also talked to some Officers and NCOs in other units and they may have some slots available to me if I choose to go that route.

Thanks for the input folks! I appreciate the collective knowledge of this site.

I know some folks get really uptight about getting promoted and acquiring more years because they are counting on that retirement as their only means of subsistance. My advice, and this is working for me:
                          - Don't spend your drill pay. Starting as an E-1 save every penny and put it into a ROTH IRA. You will have over a million dollars by age 60 guaranteed through the power of compound interest.
                          - If you're single and being deployed - BUY a home! You get more financial benefits
                          - Save your deployment money and buy more real estate! My peers bought cars and Nintendos and such. I bought 2 condos. I now have 3 properties that are generating rent and paying off the mortgages. By the time I retire, those properties will be paid off and the rent will be added to my retirement.

Rank-wise, I may not have made O-7, but my combined retirement will put me up there financially.

Comment

Originally posted by SixSignalBlackBelt View Post
                            I think you misread pot shots at you which were really pot shots at the NG Forums that have had many of the same problems for the past 6 years, ie posts not displaying correctly ect.

Originally posted by SixSignalBlackBelt View Post
                            My advice to LTs today is "Don't be in a hurry to get promoted!"
                            I think better advice would be, officers need to pay attention to thier careers. Again, I'm not trying to kick you when you're down but you're not the first officer I've met who has had career problems by not completing their OES. My own S-3 is probably going to be x2 non select for LTC because he hasn't completed ILE. I met a MAJ who raced and skipped deployment training to complete ILE so he wouldn't be non-select for LTC. A fellow company commander almost didn't get selected for MAJ as he waited almost too long to complete the CCC.

Comment

Working...
                            X