X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Guard

I am 27 yrs old I have a BS degree in Homeland Security/Criminal Justice. I was wondering if I were to join the guard I know i would go to boot then AIT and then OCS if Im correct. I was wondering if OCS is by a units need or if they would would send me to OCS and then assign me to a unit. If you can give me any information on the process I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: TN Guard

One potential path is to sign up in the Guard as a 09S. This will send you to Boot and then you will come back to your home state and either do OCS through the traditional program or accelerated program. Upon completion and receiving your promotion to 2LT you will then be assigned to a unit where you will do some follow-on training for your specific branch (AIT for Officers, called BOLC).

Another option (and there are many) is to sign up as enlisted and go to boot, then AIT. Upon completion of AIT you will be assigned to unit. Then once with that unit you can work with your readiness NCO to apply for the OCS program. I signed up as 09S so I don't have much information on this course of action as I do with the 09S option.

Both have their pro's and con's. Do some more research, ask questions and decide which path is best for you.

Comment

You're mostly right...the branch assigment is done by vacancies/needs of the state. You'll get your branch assignment at some point near the end of OCS which will be followed by a unit assignment.

Comment

Can I get some more information on the O9S information. I believe it is a 5 year contract that I would sign to be an 2lt with the national guard is that correct.

Comment

The best way to get info on the 09S contract is to talk with your recruiter and do a search on this forum and the web in general. In my state it is a 6yr contract because realistically your down to 4 years of useful drill time (at best) by the time you finish basic and the traditional OCS program.

If you have specific questions I am happy to answer what I can, but once again, your recruiter will have information specific to your state and branch options.

Comment

So if there is not a unit that needs my MOS then would I be attached to a different unit in some other state or somewhere else?

Comment

As a 09S you don't have a job specific MOS. 09S (Officer Candidate) is your MOS. At the start of the program you will fill out your wish list for an MOS, picking 3. Then, as Collk22 stated, as you near completion of the OCS program they will tell you what is actually available and where you have been assigned.

In my state, we did the wish list at the start of the program and then again around a year later as the list of available LT slots was more solid and graduation was closer. Then just before phase 3 we found out our branch and unit details. In my case, I had put Signal as my branch request. One year out there were no branch slots for an LT. But by the time I was nearing completion of the program a few Signal slots opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiggity717 View Post
                So if there is not a unit that needs my MOS then would I be attached to a different unit in some other state or somewhere else?
                That's not quite right...branch assignment is done based on the needs of the state and where the vacancies (real and projected) are, so it is EXTREMELY unlikely you'll get assigned a branch without any slots. Or put differently, the vacancies in the states will determine the MOS. There will be at least one unit that has a slot for you when you branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiggity717 View Post
                  Not quite. You'll be assigned a branch based on a known vacancy....so you'll get a branch assignment designed to fill a hole somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X