Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBOLC + Sapper School

Hey there!

Reached the infamous Branch 'Preference' list time, and I had a question in regards to EBOLC and Sapper School. Are slots for Sapper school awarded similarly to Ranger school, where the high tier of the EBOLC class are selected to go to Sapper school, or is it more of getting your unit to send you after you have completed BOLC and they have the money to do so?

Anyone have any experience in doing this? Would appreciate some insight.

Thanks!

Re: EBOLC + Sapper School

It is awarded similarly to Ranger School if you're Active Duty. But even the AD engineer LTs will say that it is easier for them to get Ranger School than it is to get SLC. SLC only runs 9 classes a year with 30 students. While you are in EBOLC, perform exceptionally well and stay in contact with your unit and ask them to reserve a slot for it immediately after EBOLC. And if you don't get it then, keep trying when you're at your unit. I have a buddy who was in the OKARNG that went as a 1LT last summer. The chance that you will get it is slim, but at least you will have done all that you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus View Post
      It is awarded similarly to Ranger School if you're Active Duty. But even the AD engineer LTs will say that it is easier for them to get Ranger School than it is to get SLC. SLC only runs 9 classes a year with 30 students. While you are in EBOLC, perform exceptionally well and stay in contact with your unit and ask them to reserve a slot for it immediately after EBOLC. And if you don't get it then, keep trying when you're at your unit. I have a buddy who was in the OKARNG that went as a 1LT last summer. The chance that you will get it is slim, but at least you will have done all that you can.
      +1.

One of our LT's was at the top of the OML list at EBOLC and he did everything in the above post. He was lucky enough to get a slot right after EBOLC ended. This is really your best bet as SLC slots are really, really hard to come buy, and thats Army wide. Many Sapper companies can't even get slots for SLC these days.

There really needs to be an ASI or SQI awarded for completing that school so states can assign the ASI/SQI to leader positions in engineer companies in order to request the slots and funding each year.

Comment

When I went through EBOLC, the Sapper School stuff started right away...You had to make 270 or better on the intro PT test to be part of the Pre-Sapper Training Program. It's been a while since I went through the course so maybe that has changed, but if you're going to try to make a run at SLC straight out of EBOLC make sure you go into EBOLC physically prepared. Ultimately, even if you get a slot, it's on the state to fund it which is a completely different challenge. Good Luck.

ESSAYONS!

Comment

Be advised...PT scores, OMLs and such are nice, but you are going to be subject to what your state will
          foot the bill for. Our honor grad from Traditional OCS started Infantry school and HAD a Ranger slot. He's
          finishing up Infantry but will not be attending Ranger at this point.

Last drill weekend most of our training slots for this year were cancelled. If it didn't have anything to do
          with a soldier getting MOSq (job qualified) it was pretty much cut.

The next few years are going to be interesting concerning the Guard and hooah schools.

:/

Comment

I branched Infantry and just was shot down for Ranger. The exact quote was "No Hooah Schools" in the email.

Comment

I guess what we are trying to say....Pick a Branch you like based on it being a
              Branch you like. Not the potential for follow-on schools you may never see.

Comment

Working...
              X