X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting married and officer training

I am a female officer candidate that has recently become engaged. I leave for BCT on March 20 followed by federal OCS at Benning, so I will finish in early September of 2012. I am hoping to select a wedding date soon and am looking for some input. I would like to have the wedding in Jan / Feb of 2013. I am just concerned that it may interfere with my BOLC B training. However I am also concerned if I put the wedding off to late 2013 that I may start BOLC B late and won't finish before the wedding date. Do I select the BOLC B start date or am I given a start date? If I am given one what leeway do I have in changing it? I have read that BOLC B can be put off for up to a year. My top branch choices are intelligence then engineering. Thanks for the help.

Re: Getting married and officer training

Originally posted by azngwildcat View Post
    I am a female officer candidate that has recently become engaged. I leave for BCT on March 20 followed by federal OCS at Benning, so I will finish in early September of 2012. I am hoping to select a wedding date soon and am looking for some input. I would like to have the wedding in Jan / Feb of 2013. I am just concerned that it may interfere with my BOLC B training. However I am also concerned if I put the wedding off to late 2013 that I may start BOLC B late and won't finish before the wedding date. Do I select the BOLC B start date or am I given a start date? If I am given one what leeway do I have in changing it? I have read that BOLC B can be put off for up to a year. My top branch choices are intelligence then engineering. Thanks for the help.
    I think the best advice here is don't ever get married for any reason.

Comment

You will have some influence over BOLC dates, but not control. I recommend first addressing this with your OCS chain of command. If you must guess, schedule the wedding early rather than late, because school dates are easier to postpone than to move up.

Comment

Thanks for your help. We will be booking the wedding date on 2/2/2013. Hopefully everything will work out with that date and BOLC B.

Comment

Originally posted by azngwildcat View Post
          Thanks for your help. We will be booking the wedding date on 2/2/2013. Hopefully everything will work out with that date and BOLC B.
          Haha..I guess you are not thanking me for my advice Best of luck to you though.

Comment

BOLC seats can be harder to get than you might think (some basic branches worse than others). Some of my classmates were able to go to BOLC shortly after OCS, while others waited quite a long time. Technically you have up to 24 months to attend BOLC B. Your unit of assignment can reserve you a seat through ATTARS. So go to OCS, graduate, (along with a unit and a branch), and plan your BOLC B around your wedding dates. Personally (this really is crappy advise), I'd get married PRIOR to the 120 - 160 days of active duty so you both can benefit from having a married status while training (Family separation pay, tricare, etc.) OR listen to the friendly Staff Sergeant below! Good luck

Comment

@Mongoose772 or anyone who can answer this!,

I am currently in the process of enlisting as a 09S planning to attend State OCS in January. I am curious about the 120-160 days of active duty you are referring to...I have not been told anything other than BCT to ODP to OCS to BOLC-B.
              Also, any info on Officer Development Program would be truly appreciated!
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by prat0046 View Post

I am currently in the process of enlisting as a 09S planning to attend State OCS in January. I am curious about the 120-160 days of active duty you are referring to...I have not been told anything other than BCT to ODP to OCS to BOLC-B.
                Thanks.
                I did a google for you and found this link

http://www.delahunty.com/infantry/profdev.htm#Officer Development Program (ODP)

Officer Development
                Program (ODP)

New Officer Evaluation Reporting (OER) System
                Reserve component Infantry Officer Advanced Course (IOAC)
                A suggested correspondence course curriculum for an Infantry Mortar Leaders Course
                The Reserve Officer Personnel Management Act
                (ROPMA)

For download, from the Reserves - a "Chain Teaching Package" on
                ROPMA including a Program of Instruction (POI) in Microsoft Word (52KB) and a Microsoft PowerPoint (113KB) presenation
                Obtaining Your Official Records on Microfiche
                Office Dues Structure

Perhaps each staff addresses different subject areas for its ODP but its seems to address some of the administrative tasks that you will experience as an officer, officership and perhaps, how to prepare and what to expect from OCS.

I would not get wrapped up because many candidates enter and graduate OCS without this type of preparation.

I see the benefit of you getting in the program ASAP is starting to get paid way before you attend OCS and start adjusting to military life as well.

Good luck.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 24th, 2012, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prat0046 View Post

Thanks.
                  I was only refering to the typical length of time to complete BOLC. Each BOLC length is branch specific, but generally last between 3 - 5 months. (With the notable exceptions of Aviation (1 year +, AMEDD MSC (7-9 weeks), Chaplaincy ect.)

Comment

Working...
                  X