Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

National guard to Active duty branch

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • National guard to Active duty branch

    I am currently enlisted in the National Guard. I completed basic training under the STO and have not yet gone to my AIT. I have heard that it is possible to, in my case, switch to active duty in another branch or the same branch I am already in. Is it really a possibility? What steps would I have to take? Thank you for the help.

  • #2
    You cannot simply transfer. The Guard, Reserves, and Active Duty components are all different. With very few exceptions (mostly for medical professionals), you'll need to get an approved discharge from the Reserve/Guard component and then separately process for enlistment (or commissioning) for Active Duty service.
    However, you may request a conditional release from the Reserves and/or National Guard. Basically, a conditional release says that the National Guard agrees to release you from the remainder of your commitment, if you are accepted for enlistment or appointment to another service component. To start the conditional release process, you must request a conditional release from your current unit and complete a DD Form 368 (Request for Conditional Release). Once the release has been approved by the National Guard, you may begin processing with another service.


    • #3
      Alright, would it be a good idea to try and do this before shipping to AIT?


      • #4
        You have already signed an enlistment contract with the Army National Guard. But, if this is something you really want to pursue I recommend you speak with your RSP cadre/1SG to see what if any options you have.