X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a 68W can I go airborne?

To start off I'll introduce my self. I recently enlisted as an E-2, 18 years old and still in highschool. I have 4 years of MCJROTC and can rack up a great score on the pft (i know thats a big part to airborne).I ship to Fort Sil in July at Fort Sam shortly after I graduate BCT. With ought having airborne on my contract (if that's even possible) can I still achieve this personal goal of mine. I hsve rrad up on it and heard multiple ways from signing up in reception to getting a spot through AIT although I'd like a definite answer (especially being national guard).

Short answer, yes. In AIT there will most likely be tryouts for specialty schools. However, when I was at Ft Sam Active Duty got priority. Don't let this discourage you. After you get home from AIT you can ask your unit about being sent. Some states do it on a unit level, some do state tryouts where you compete with everyone in the state who wants to go. Even without it being in your contract it's very possible for you to go if you want it enough.

-SGT D

Comment

• VictorSergal
      VictorSergal commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the reply! This is awesome news to me, but when I'm back I'll be in Jackson Barracks, so going to airborne school would this station me elsewhere or would that still be my base for drill (I don't see why it would change but you never know).

Realistic answer no. Unless you are going to be assigned to an airborne unit your chances of getting airborne in the NG are slim to none, especially in a non combat MOS. Some states offer more opportunity than others but it still costs money, and it is going to be hard to justify sending anyone to airborne school who is not in an airborne unit. Considering the current fiscal climate, not happening. The focus for schools is going to be MOSQ followed by NCOES. Good luck getting anything else.

Comment

If you bent set on it, talk to a recruiter on having it in your contract. That will be the only way to guarantee it. On active duty, you can get that in your contract, regardless of MOS. My fellow Warrant Officer buddy is 38 years old and got orders to Fort Bragg and needed to have airborne. His branch manager got it for him. Again, that is active duty. Also, you will not get assigned to another NG unit due to being airborne.

Comment

• VictorSergal
        VictorSergal commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats just the thing though, I've already "signed on the dotted line" so to speak so changing my contract is most likely improbable. I have talked to my recruiter and he has told me to simply stand out and be the best I can then talk to my commander after gaining a good rep of passing my PT tests with flying colors.

It depends on whether or not your state has slots for 68W's to go airborne and how many they have vacant. To find out for your state ask your recruiter if he knows of any units that have airborne slots for 68W's. Tell him you want to know about the vacant and non vacant slots. If you're state doesn't have any at all you're out of luck unless you want to transfer to a different state. If there are any vacant ones ask if you can transfer to that unit and fill the slot before going to basic. If there are slots but none of them are vacant you want to try to get into the unit that has them as soon as you can. Ask if you can be slotted to go to that unit as a non airborne 68W. Once you're at that unit tell your squad leader you would like to go to airborne if a slot opens up.

Comment

Working...
      X